Agony

Haru Haru

-Nayoung’s home-

“Nayoung ah aren’t you gonna ask Kyulkyung to send you to the airport?” asked Mrs Im.

“Omma, we broke up. I didn’t tell her that I will be leaving.” Nayoung replied with her stone face.

Mrs Im did not probe further about her daughter’s break up since she wanted to give her daughter space and respected her love life. She knew that her daughter was somewhat down for the past month and guessed that it was relationship woes. Heehyun and Siyeon were hugging Nayoung like a koala. They were sad to see their cousin leave and they even stayed over at Nayoung’s place during the weekends. Mr Im was sitting at the couch reading newspaper. He may seem indifferent but deep down he was rather sad that his daughter would be away.

“Anyways. Omma wouldn’t mind a beautiful Caucasian daughter-in-law,” the older Im decided to joke to make her daughter feel better, however, she was hoping that Kyulkyung would still be her future daughter-in-law. She had a liking for the Chinese girl when she saw her for the first time. The stone just smiled and nodded.

“Let’s go then,” Mr Im told everyone in the house to leave for the airport since everyone was ready.

-In School-

Kyulkyung was puzzled that she had not seen Nayoung around in school for the past two weeks since she didn’t know that Nayoung left the country. Being curious, she decided to ask Siyeon but the younger did not reply to her question since she promised her cousin to not reveal anything.

“Yah, why can’t you tell me?” Kyulkyung was so upset. Though she whined about it for quite some time, she decided to respect Siyeon’s decision. Instead, she went to find the other cousin of Nayoung, Heehyun. Kyulkyung remembered Heehyun when the older girl invite her to her family gathering. She ran to Heehyun’s classroom and saw latter she was also early for her first lesson and felt that it is the right time to ask her about Nayoung.

“Hi Sunbaemnim,” greeted the brunette.

“Heehyun was surprised to see the younger and decided to pull her out of the classroom since she knew why the younger wanted to talk about.

“You are Kyulkyung right?” asked the older. She had seen the other girl once during her family gathering and a few times in school with her raven-hair cousin. Besides Kyulkyung is one of the popular juniors in the school.

“Do you know where is Nayoung unnie? I haven’t see her around for 2 weeks,” asked Kyulkyung, being hopeful that Heehyun would tell her something.

“I thought you didn’t notice.” Heehyun scoffed at the younger.

“Please sunbaenim. I really want to know where unnie is right now. I am very concerned about her.” The younger was so desperate and would even kneel in front of Heehyun for her to reveal something about Nayoung.

“Nayoung is studying overseas. She left two weeks ago. I doubt she would be back so soon. She would return after she has completed her training.” The older sighed since the younger was very insistent to get something out from her.

“Training?” asked the confused Kyulkyung. She knew that Nayoung is a member of the fencing team but the latter didn’t tell her anything about her fencing life.

“She had accepted the sponsorship from the national fencing team. She will be training in the States until the end of her first national competition.” Revealed Hehyun. Kyulkyung was in shock. She did not know that Nayoung was offered a sponsorship by the fencing team. Nayoung didn’t mention it when they were dating.

“Obviously Nayoung wouldn’t accept the sponsorship when you two were dating. It would mean a long distance relationship.” Heehyun could sense the genuine concern coming from the younger and she knew what was the reason for seeing her shocked face and decided to address it.

“By the way, what is going on between you and Jung Chaeyeon?” she was curious about the younger’s relationship.

“She is my senior friend. That’s all. We didn’t have any romantic relationship to begin with. Nayoung saw the both of us kiss and misinterpreted it. I did not even approach her to explain myself.” Heehyun could tell that the younger was blaming herself.

“My cousin is kind of stubborn and she tends to run away from her problem, so pardon her. Let her be first. She just need some time to sort everything out. Besides, you look like you have suffered a lot as well. Just take this break up as a short break. I bet Nayoung wouldn’t want to see you in this state as well. You are a really smart student. Just do well in your studies. Your parents brought you here to Korea is to give you the best education and the best environment to live in. Do not let this heart break distract you so much and not let your parents worry. Nayoung isn’t good at her studies but good at sports so she had decided to pursue her fencing dreams. I bet she doesn’t want to be selfish and hurt you further, that’s why she didn’t tell you that she left.” Heehyun advised the younger and left after giving her a pat on her shoulder.

Kyulkyung decided to skip school for the entire since she didn’t have to mood to attend. Besides, Eunwoo and Yebin would be there. She can copy their notes and learn from them what she will be missing out. Kyulkyung walked out of school and her legs brought her to the ice cream parlour where both of them had their first friendly date. Since it was still early, the parlour wasn’t open at an ungodly hour, she sat at the bench near the shop and remembered the memories where both of them shared. Tears started to roll down her cheeks.

“Please, I just want to see you. Even hearing your voice would suffice. Please.” Kyulkyung was in agony and stayed at the bench for an hour before heading back home. When she was at home, she thought about what Heehyun said. She decided to use this chance for them to take a break. She would approach the older when the time is right. She will focus on her studies since Nayoung would not want to see the younger screw up her studies because of her. She wanted to make the both of them happy at least and not suffer any further.

---

Nayoung was also in agony for the past two weeks. It was her first time to be away from home for a long time and she had to make new friends in order to live in this foreign land. She was glad that she was enrolled into an international pre-U school to complete her University entrance exam and prepare for University. Also, her training team consists of all Koreans so it wouldn’t be that bad. Besides, her housemate, Kang Kyungwon is a warm and friendly person who would always take the initiative to talk to her. During these two weeks, they had become inseparable.

Since Nayoung couldn’t be distracted during her training, she would wait until at night to cry in her room while thinking of the younger girl. She missed Kyulkyung so much. She didn’t know that heartbreaks would be so painful. Even though it was her who broke up with the younger she didn’t know that she would regret her decision. Being away from the younger also made her relationship with their mutual friends to be at an awkward state. During the last month, she was drifting away from Minkyung as her friend would always lecture her about breaking up with the younger and also would attempt to bring them back again. There was one time where Minkyung conspired with Yebin to lock her and Kyulkyung in a classroom to trash things out. However, it did not work as she stayed silent whereas the younger would just break down and cry after rattling for a while. Thankfully the janitor was cleaning the classrooms after school hour that she managed to be out of the classroom. You can call her heartless but she did want to slap herself for making the younger cry. She also felt selfish for breaking up with the younger just because she wanted to run away from her problems. During the first week of her stay at her shared apartment with her housemate, Kyungwon, the latter had heard her cry. There was never a night where she didn’t sob. It was until a week later that Kyungwon took the key and unlocked the door before barging in. The slightly shorter fencer knew that she was rude but she was worried for her friend. She thought that Nayoung was homesick since she herself felt homesick when she was sent for training during the first year of middle school. However, after that night where she barged into the room, the talk between her and Nayoung let her found out that Nayoung had been crying because of her love life.

“Yah, why did you even break up with her? She even pushed the other girl after the kiss. She even cried when you didn’t respond to her. Anyone could tell that she is madly in love with you. Even you, I can tell that you are madly in love with her as well.” Kyungwon was in disbelieve. She didn’t expect the stone would do such a thing.

“I don’t think that I am madly in love with her. I think it is because this is first my romantic relationship. That is why I am this emotionally unstable.” The raven-haired girl just sighed.

“I know what I am going to suggest would screw up our training tomorrow but let’s just do something together now. Let’s go out and get some late-night snacks.” Kyungwon could tell that the girl sitting beside her was really stubborn and decided to change the topic.

“Yah I would like to go out but I don’t think I would be in at a good state to go out even at this ungodly hour,” Nayoung replied and wanted to shoo the other girl out of her room.

“Please missy, it is at night. No one would see your puffy red eyes ok. Trust me. If you are worried, you can wear sunglasses when we are at a well-lit area ok?” Kyungwon tried to change the other girl’s mind.

Nayoung decided to take up with offer and have snacks with her new friend. While they were eating at a 24/7 fast food chain, they were talking about all sorts of topic.

“Hey, you like to watch rated movies?” Kyungwon asked with a hint of curiousness. She could tell that the other fencer has been raised in a strict household. Nayoung just shook her head. She felt a bit dumb to be wearing sunglasses. Besides they were only a few customers inside and decided to remove the shades.

“Bingo, I could tell. Besides you look really innocent but lucky you, you already had your first serious relationship.” Kyungwon patted the girl’s back while drinking her can of beer.

“You are a great love advisor. I couldn’t tell that you are still single.” Nayoung thought she wouldn’t be friends with Kyungwon since she was totally opposite of her. The other girl was wild unlike her.

“I just like to play around. No strings attached.” The slightly shorter girl smiled and was somewhat proud of what she was doing. The taller girl just shook her head disapprovingly at her friend’s actions.

“Anyways, why do I have a feeling that you are going to taint my innocent mind with your nonsense.” Nayoung suddenly blurted out.

“Bingo, that is one of my plans and besides, what nonsense. It is a fun way to kill time. Training here for a long time really makes me feel bored sometimes.” Kyungwon winked at Nayoung.

“You are going to compete in the Olympics in 3 years’ time. You will be free of your boredom soon.” Nayoung tried to cheer the girl up.

“I know but the wait is too long.” Kyungwon drank her beer and sighed.

The two chatted for quite some time before going back.

Kyulkyung and Nayoung are living their life like how it was before they dated, striving to be successful in their own field, hoping that they will meet each other in future.

A/N:

Hi! Just a chapter to update about their current life in this high school AU. I thought I was not able to finish this chapter hahaha. Btw, I will be able to update once  week since my friend has recommended me to a part-job. Sorry guys! :'( I am a broke high school student so pardon me HAHAHAHA. Anyways I will try to update if I can :) Anyways next chapter would be something light and easy :)