Make A Move

Haru Haru

"Hypoglycaemia is a condition where there is a low blood glucose concentration in the body. It is caused by reactive hypoglycaemia and fasting hypoglycaemia..." the biology lecturer, Dr Oh was rattling off like a machine-gun about the topic on carbohydrate metabolism, where our protagonist, Im Nayoung had no interest in. 

"Why did I even choose biology in the first place?" Nayoung thoughts drifted away whenever it was Dr Oh's lectures. However, her thoughts will always be broken by a certain someone, running on the track that was beside the science block she's at every Tuesday. "The perks of sitting next to the window," Nayoung thought to herself while she stared at the tall brunette in plain white tee, short FBT and sports shoes, running 8 rounds with ease. Nayoung liked how the brunette stretched her body gracefully, how she always kept a good posture while running and how she would still be able to move freely after a run. You can call Nayoung a stalker but she would rather call herself an observer, an observer of her junior, Joo Kyulkyung. 

"Hey, Nayoung ah," the raven-haired observer turned and looked at her best friend, Minkyung, with an annoyed look.

"Hey, I know that I kinda distracted you from looking at your goddess, but it is time for our next lesson at the math block," Minkyung was trying to explain her actions to the benevolent stone buddha or the not so benevolent stone buddha whenever it comes to Joo Kyulkyung. While Minkyung was waiting for Nayoung to pack her belongings, she decided to delve into the topic that was always discussed every week.

"You should go and confess if you like her. She wouldn't know you if you keep staring at her from the second level of the science block."

"Yea, you have been telling me that every Tuesday. Aren't you bored of this topic? Anyways, I did interact with her just last week."

"Say what?" Minkyung was so shocked that her eyes were buldging like a goldfish as both of them were walking to the math block. 

"I bumped into her at the library and helped her to pick up a book at the top shelf." Nayoung said in her normal tone, without any excitement or dreamy tone, which sometimes made Minkyung think twice whether her bestie was in love.

"She is quite tall herself, I don't see why she has difficulty to pick up a book at the top shelf and why you need to help her. Anyways, it is a good start. Good for ya buddy," Minkyung did a fist bump on Nayoung's left shoulder even though she had her suspicions of what happened last week to both her friend and her target.

-Lunch Time-

It was time for everyone's second favourite time of the school day, lunch. This meant that Kyulkyung could see her raven-haired stone buddha. Though Nayoung was not a popoular student, Kyulkyung knew that there was this biology major who would always be looking at her, be it at the cafeteria, the library or from the second level of the science block. It was so obvious that even her clique knew about this stone buddha. However, Kyulkyung was contented just by looking at her senior. The scene with Nayoung at the library last week would always be etched in her mind.

It was a Wednesday where she had to stay back to revise for her biochemistry test. Walking to the biology section of the library, the foreign words like immunolgy, anatomy and physiology were deterring her to turn her heels and head off to the familiar chemistry section. However, determined to at least pass her biology or more specifically biochemistry test, she decided to look for that specific book that her lecturer had recommended during the first lesson. "Oh my gosh, where is that biochemistry text?" Kyulkyung mumbled to herself. As she was searching for that "holy" book, she could feel a presence behind her, pulling out a thick purple book from the top shelf. She could smell the light green tea perfume from the person behind her. "Here you go. Biochemistry textbook. I hope this is the correct one." Nayoung passed the book to her and gave her a slight smile. "Thank you," the younger said while blushing and looking at the floor. Wanting the older to stay and help her with her test, she was rather disappointed when all she could see was Nayoung's figure getting further away from her. The Chinese girl, gripped onto her book so tightly, was walking around the library to find the older girl. Once she spotted the girl with a grey sweater, she sat at the vacant spot, which was a table away from Nayoung. At the end of the day, Kyulkyung had a brief knowledge about the topic on enzymes activity and a great knowledge of how Nayoung would take a break from her reading after every 30 minutes, how Nayoung had a specific brand for her stationeries and how Nayoung would take some time to look at her. 

"Yah, Kyulkyungie, aren't you going to grab some food?" Eunwoo was trying to snap the brunette out from her dreamland.

"Oh, I guess I will pass, just feeling sleepy from yesterday." Kyulkyung snapped out of her thoughts and saw Nayoung walking pass her.

-Nayoung's POV-

As I was walking with Kim Minkyung to find a seat at the cafeteria, I saw Kyulkyung, daydreaming while her friend was trying to bring her back to earth. I chuckled at how cute she was. As usual, Minkyung would find a seat that is opposite of Kyulyung's. I don't know whether should I be grateful to have a friend like Minkyung. Anyways, as we went to get our food, I realised that Kyulkyung was still sitting there, not getting anything. Knowing that she had her physical education class just now, I thought it would be good for her to grab a bite and decided to get a club sandwich and a bottle of milk for her. 

"Buddha, why did you grab extra lunch?" Minkyung asked.

I just shook my head and went to sit down and start eating my food. As I was eating, I was trying to focus on Minkyung's conversation but as always, was distracted by the brunette. I was worried sick for her, why didn't she eat anything? Argh, what was her clique doing? I saw Kyulkyung stood up and walked towards the direction of the washroom. This would be a good time for me to pass her lunch. 

"Hey Minkyung, I need the washroom real quick. Be right back." I went to give Kyulkyung a chase while holding onto a bag of sandwich and a bottle of milk. While waiting for her outside the washroom, I was trying to from some lines in my head. Many lines came out but all of those were so awkward and forced. Argh, Im Nayoung, let's just go with the flow. I panicked when Kyulkyung walked out of the washroom. She was rather shocked to see me standing outside.

"Hey there, I saw that you aren't having lunch and here you go, remember to eat something after your run." I hastily said it and passed the bag to her.

Kyulkyung accepted the bag and I could see her fair cheeks were turning pink. I wanted to run away but my feet just didn't want to move.

"Thank you sunbaenim," Kyulkyung was so shy that she was looking at the ground though she was grabbing onto my hands while thanking me. 

"Erm, it's nothing much." I tried to reply cooly but oh well, my nervous tone was a give away.

"Next time just come over and say hi, don't just look at me," the younger mustered the courage and looked into my eyes. Now it was my turn to blush. 

"Just looking at you would suffice, beautiful," I mumbled but she still could catch what I said. 

"See you later at the track after school. I will be waiting,"  the brunettte quickly ran away after saying that.

As I went back to the table, I could see her friends teasing her and oh yea not forgetting Kim Minkyung whose plate was already empty. I must be out for quite some time.

"Not bad Im, I kinda figured out what happened." exclaimed Minkyung, who was smirking at me. 

"Yea I went to find my girl, aren't you proud for this buddha," I smiled so widely that my pearly whites could be seen.

I went to shift my gaze to Kyulkyung and give her a wink when we locked eyes with one another.

I guess I can see her more often rather than thinking of looking at her now.