Away From The Past

Honesty

Yongsun walked into class mid-lesson. She bowed and gave the teacher an apologetic look, in which the latter raised an eyebrow.

"It will not happen again." Is all Ms. Woo said, not even bothering to give her a second look. 

She apologized once more and then with her cheeks a light tinge of pink, walked quietly to her seat, trying to hide away from all the stares. Some guys smiled and waved at Yongsun as she walked by, but she was too tired from her run to class to even fake a smile back. So, she just nodded in reply to them. Though, her face was quick to lighten up when she reached her spot. On her desk was a small piece of paper with the words, "Did the princess lose her shoe on the way here?" She giggled to herself, quiet enough so that only the girl next to her could hear. Yongsun didn't have to even ask to know it was her that wrote it.

Byul looked over to see that Yongsun was staring at her. She gave her a warm smile, which the other happily returned. Then, she reached for her pocket and pulled out something. Yongsun watched silently, curious about what was inside. Byul for a bit and pretended to be searching for a long time, but when she finally took her hand out, her fingers formed a heart. She whispered in a greasy tone, "For you."

Yongsun gave her an amused look. She didn't know if she should be face palming or smiling, so she did both. The two girls giggled. For them, class seemed to be shorter than ever.

But, for Wheein, class felt longer. She couldn't look up from her textbook because every time she did, she'd witness the sight of two idiots. They weren't doing much after that stupid heart stunt. In fact, they weren't even doing anything at all that should've been that disruptive for Wheein. They were just glancing at each other. A lot. Wheein didn't know why it bothered her. She probably shouldn't be mad, but for whatever reason, she sensed that something would happen and that whatever that thing was, Wheein would not be happy. Her eyes filled with worry as she was reminded of the past. The mistakes.

 

A week later, three days before the performance:

Wheein just wanted to go back to the dorms, but she couldn't skip practice for their upcoming performance. Plus, she hadn't gotten to see her best friend Hyejin for the whole day, not even during their lunch break. She couldn't come because her teacher made her stay in for being late again, which left the poor puppy all alone with two people who she thought were unaware of her existence. Needless to say, that was a very miserable lunch. Though, she pretended to be unaffected because she knew that if Byul saw just one glimpse of her sad, she'd start worrying. And, that was the last thing that Wheein wanted. She didn't want Byul to know she was still thinking about the past. But she couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy.

"Byul, I love you."

"Wheein, I love you too."

"I'll love you forever."

"I will too."

"Wheein?" She heard her name being called but she didn't move. Hyejin was worried about her friend. It's been a while since she's seen Wheein so distracted. Though, she knew that the girl was deep in thought and not wanting to disrupt her thinking, Hyejin leaned on her shoulder softly, waiting for Wheein to come back to reality.

 

 Two days before the performance:

Wheein and Hyejin were busy practicing their parts when Byul suddenly walked in.

"Guys I have an announcement to make!" The two younger girls looked over at Byul with curious eyes, wondering what could be so important. She cleared , "I'm going to now be a rapper for our group."

With that, Wheein's jaws dropped. "Wait what do you mean?"

"I mean what I mean. I've decided to be a rapper."

"Who told you to do that?" Wheein examined Byul carefully, looking for any signs that she could be just kidding, but she found nothing.

Byul scratched the back of her head, "No one. I just thought I should give it a try."

"But unnie..." Wheein looked at Byul and then at Hyejin, and then back Byul. Hyejin didn't seem too affected by the news, which made Wheein slightly angry. "How could you say that after all this time? Didn't you say your dream was to be a singer?" Wheein's voice echoed.

"Calm down Wheeinie..." Hyejin walked over and patted her back softly, but Wheein just brushed away her hand.

"Don't call me that! And don't tell me to calm down because you have no idea what I'm thinking!" With that, Wheein stormed off.

Byul and Hyejin silently watched as Wheein left the room. Byul was confused as to why she was so angry.

"Is she okay?" She asked, bewildered and also hurt.

"Well, she's..." Hyejin thought back to her conversation earlier with Wheein and gulped, not sure if she should continue, "she's just not in a good mood right now. I'm sure she's fine with you being a rapper, it's just another thing making this so..."

Byul sighed, "You don't have to tell me. I'd rather have Wheein tell me herself."

"Right..."

The two of them waited and waited for Wheein to return but after a few hours, it was clear the she was not going to.

 


 

Hyejin wasn't surprised to find Wheein laying on the couch at her dorm. After all, she had a spare key, so she came here whenever she had troubles with Byul, which wasn't very often. But, today was one of those days.

All Wheein could think of was the mistakes, the promises, and her breaking. As soon as she reached Hyejin's place, she sat down, not bothering to check if anyone like Yongsun was home, and just thought and cried. Will she be okay? Will I be okay? Will they be okay?

When she finally decided to stop thinking about it for a while, she was surprised to find Hyejin leaning on her shoulders again. "You're here already?"

"I've been here stupid," she said while lifting up her head. "What's going on that my Wheeinie can't even notice I'm here?"

"Oh, nothing much..." She gave an awkward laugh, knowing she wasn't fooling the other.

"Come on, you know you can't lie to me, especially after just walking out on us like that."

Wheein sighed and gave in, "I'm just scared."

"Of what?" Hyejin reached for her hand and held it comfortingly.

"I'm scared that," she paused, needing a second to breath, "I'm scared she's already forgotten it all."

Hyejin knew exactly what she was talking about. To be honest, it slightly disappointed her, but she didn't let that show. "Wheein-ah... please don't let the past hold you down like that."

Tears started to escape her eyes as Wheein spoke, "I know but it's just, I can't forget it yet it seems like everyone else has."

"I haven't." 

"But you weren't involved so wh--" Wheein was suddenly cut off.

"I was very much involved in the suffering. Did you know how much it hurt to see you like that? To see unnie like that?" Hyejin stopped abruptly, not wanting to get too heated up. But, she felt that she needed to get those words out. "Until now, I don't even know the whole story, probably never will. But what I do know is me watching my best friend hurt, and not being able to do anything." 

"I'm sorry... this is all my fault. It was my fault before and it's my fault again. I wish I could just let everything go but..." Wheein couldn't continue. She just started sobbing. Hyejin slowly approached her and hugged her. Her touch was gentle and comforting. They stayed like that, holding each other.

"Wheein, let me help you forget the past." Hyejin's voice was meek and hesitant, but she knew if she didn't say this now, she'd never say it ever, "Give me a chance, please."

Wheein looked at her, her eyes filled with an unknown emotion. She wasn't sure if she should let Hyejin in like she once let in Byul. But, the thumping in her heart and the desire in her mind told her it was time to let the past go.

"Are you asking me out, Ms. Hwasa?"

Hyejin chuckled nervously, "I guess so, Ms. Wheein."

 


 

Yongsun was on her way back to the dorms from the library when she bumped into a familiar greaseball.

"Byul-ah!"

Byul turned and smiled her signature nose-scrunch smile upon seeing who was calling her name. "Well, if it isn't Yongdonnie!"

"Haha very funny." Yongsun jogged over to catchup. "Anyway, why're you going back so late?"

Byul grinned, "So I can catch a glimpse of this angel in front of me of course!"

"Disgusting." Yongsun simply stated, which earned a hearty laugh from Byul.

"How about you? What brings you here so late?" Byul's head tilted as she spoke, and Yongsun had to try her best not to giggle at the younger girl's actions.

"I was just studying at the library."

"Oh, you must be tired then, right?"

"Yah,  I guess."

The corner of Byul's mouth lifted into a smile. "Then, how about you come over? I'll feed you something and you can sleep over too!"

Yongsun hesistated for a moment. "What about Wheein? She won't mind?"

Byul was still smiling, but Yongsun didn't miss the little sad glint in her eyes. "She won't be coming today. In fact, she's probably with Hwasa right now, so it'll be like swapping roommates!"

"Oh, well, let's just stop by my place so I can get my clothes." Yongsun still wasn't sure about going, but she couldn't decline the offer from such an adorable girl.

 


 

Byul didn't know what she was doing. She was happy, but also regretting. Who's idea was it to invite Yongsun over? Right, it was hers. Internally she was panicking, not sure about how she could handle even one night with her. She paced back and forth, back and forth, while waiting in front of Yong's dorm.

Furthermore, she was worried about Wheein. She remembered her promise to her and felt bad for the earlier events.

I promise I'll become singer and I'll sing a song just for you.

Byul thought about when she said that and and why. She realized that it must've meant a lot to Wheein.

It wasn't that she didn't want to be a singer, it was that she didn't believe in her ability to be one. On her way to their practice room, she overheard people working at the cafe who've seen their previous performances.

"Hey, isn't that Moonbyul?" One would say.

The other would reply, "Yah it is!"

You'd think they'd say hi to her but instead, "I feel kind of bad for her."

"Why?" At this point Byul is also wondering the same thing, so she walked slower hoping to catch more of the conversation.

"Well, she's a decent singer but she isn't going to make it as one with two other members who are clearly a lot better."

Byul knew Hwasa and Wheein were better than her, but it still felt bad to hear it from someone else, especially from someone who didn't know how hard she worked and probably didn't know a single thing about singing. It wasn't like they could do any better. But, Byul never told anyone about what they said, even if it was constant. "Why should I?" Is what she always asked herself. They were just people who gossiped and talked about things that
weren't relevant to them.

Though, today, she thought, "What if I really am that bad?" Wheein and Hwasa would've immediately told her she was stupid for thinking that but the thought kept nagging at her head. It didn't help that Yongsun was going to be at their next performance coming up. She didn't want to sing in front of her if she wasn't good. But, she still wanted to be up on stage, so she settled on something that she hoped would please everyone. She'd become a rapper.

Byul was fully aware that she only had two days to prepare a rap and well to learn how to rap too, but she was sure she could do it if she just worked hard, which is what she planned to do. She was ready to dedicate all her remaining free time to work on it. Though, of course, it wasn't a guarantee that it'd work out, but she knew the two girls would be supporting her. Well, she thought they would. Hyejin assured her that Wheein did support her decision, but Byul didn't really know what to think. All she could do now is hope that she'd accomplish this rap by the end of the two days.

When Yongsun walked out, she found Byul sitting on the floor with her back on the wall and her head looking down. She guessed that Byul must've been really tired to fall asleep while waiting for her to get her clothes.

"Byul-ah," Yongsun softly tapped her shoulder, "wake up!"

Byul looked up and blinked twice, "Did an angel call?" 

Yongsun grinned, "Seriously? Come on let's get to your dorm."

"Oh right! I still have to make you that dinner!" With that, Byul took the other's hand and ran.

 


 

The two girls were laying down on Byul's couch. Byul was just simply playing with Yongsun's hair, running her hands through her silky strands. "How was your dinner?"

Yongsun smiled. It was the best she's had in a while. "It was great! Thanks Byul-ah~"

Byul was very pleased and congratulated herself by patting herself on the back, earning a laugh from the other. "I always knew I was the best cook ever."

"Good but I wouldn't say the best. I could definitely do better."

"Really?" Byul raised an eyebrow, "Well then you'll have to feed me one day."

"Sure, but be prepared to be amazed!" Yongsun raised her first into the air and laughed. "So what's on your mind, chef?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just like..." Yongsun paused for a moment, "any stray thoughts bothering you?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I just... noticed something." Yongsun was shy to admit it but felt something telling her to talk, "When I mentioned Wheein earlier, you looked a bit sad." There was something else Yongsun wanted to mention, but she wasn't sure about sharing.

Byul let out her breath and chuckled, "I haven't known you for that long. How can you see that?"

Yongsun shrugged, "I'm good at reading people's emotions."

"So, I guess I can't hide from you, can I?"

"Nope." Yongsun reached for Byul's hand. The latter felt herself heating up a little from the contact. "Now, tell me. I'm worried."

"What do you want to know?"

Yongsun hesistated for a moment, but then continued to say, "I want to know everything."

Byul's POV:

I laughed awkwardly. "Everything is very broad."

She scratched the back of her head, "I know. But that's how much I want to know."

I didn't know if I should answer her. I wanted to trust her with all of my heart, but somehow I was scared. Is it right to tell someone I just met a week ago, the deep thoughts in my head? Not sure what to say, I simplly asked, "Why?"

"It's because I want to help you." I knew that Yongsun was a good person, but my insecurities frightened me. Do you really want to help me? Or, are you here just to take advantage of me?

I sighed, "I don't get why you want to help someone like me. I mean someone as perfect as you shouldn't need to waste time on me."

"I'm no where near perfect, silly. And, I want to help you because it looks like you're hurting. And, the fact that you're hurting hurts me too." I stopped staring at my hands and looked up. Looking into her eyes, I could see she really did want to help. Everything seemed so genuine.

I cupped my cheeks and spoke quietly, "Alright, I'll tell you everything I can.."

I'll trust you, Kim Yongsun.

But, please, just please, don't make me regret it.

 


 

I met Wheein here at this academy. 

At the time, I still lived with my family.

I had the choice of moving to the dorms, and my sisters often encouraged me to because they didn't want me to suffer anymore. But, I stayed because I wanted to keep my precious sisters safe from my parents.

Because I was so occupied with making sure they were okay, I often didn't go out much. After classes, I'd go straight back home, checking on everyone.

I was lonely.

Really lonely.

But, one day, Wheein approached me. She grabbed my hand as I was rushing back home. I was about to yell at her for getting in my way, but when I turned around to see who it was, there Wheein stood looking like an innocent little puppy. I couldn't yell at that.

I asked her why she grabbed my hand.

She told me it was because I looked sad.

From there, we became friends.

Of course, being friends with Wheein, I was introduced to Hyejin. With those two, life became so much more bearable.

After a while, me and Wheein started dating.

I remember the day she confessed.

She's normally a very outgoing girl, but that day she was so timid.

We were in her dorm and when she confessed, I told her that she wouldn't want to date me if she knew what was going on in my life.

She said, no matter what, she'd love me.

So, I brought her home.

To my sisters.

They were very happy for me.

They loved Wheein too.

But my parents, they hated it.

They already neglected us, but after that day, they started abusing me. They'd hit me and they'd shout.

"I didn't raise my daughter to be gay!"

"This is against everything we've taught!"

"Why can't you just be like your sisters?"

"Why can't you be normal?"

"You're not my daughter if you're dating that stupid girl!"

They tormented me.

They broke me apart.

But, Wheein really helped me in those times.

She supported me and loved me.

No matter what my parents said and did, I couldn't break up with Wheein, someone who actually cared about me. I was happy with her. She gave me all she had, even if I couldn't give her much in return. She took care of my when I had panic attacks. She comforted me when I awoke from nightmares. She did everything.

But, my parents practically disowned me because I wouldn't leave Wheein.

They said if I wanted to be "not moral" then I shouldn't live with them but I didn't want to leave my siblings. And, well, Wheein understood that. She knew how much my sisters meant to me, so she decided to break up with me.

She said she didn't want me to leave my sisters for her.

It broke my heart to see her in tears that day, crying from her own decision.

She's just too understanding for her own good, hurting herself to help others.

Eventually, I moved out from my home. I had to because if I didn't leave, my sisters would start getting hurt. Me being there wouldn't protect them anymore. And, of course, I'd do anything for them, even if it meant leaving them.

When I got to the dorms with all my belongings, I was prepared to sign all these papers to get my room and everything. So, I was surprised when the dorm mother told me that Wheein had already signed me up to live with her if I had choose to come here. I asked the dorm mother when Wheein did this, and it was when we were still dating. She was planning on having me move in with her.

I didn't know if I should still move in, but the dorm mother assured me it was okay.

So, I nervously walked up to Wheein's dorm. I remember just standing there for a while, scared to open it.

When I finally did, Hyejin and Wheein were there, sitting on the couch.

Hyejin immediately stood, "BYUL!"

She ran over and gave me a tight hug. It felt so nice to see her again.

But Wheein... she didn't leave her spot on the couch. Hyejin had to force her to get up and greet me.

"Hi. Byul-ssi."

The awkwardness of it pained me.

One look at her and I could tell she'd been crying by herself. Her red puffy eyes, the bags under them, it hurt to look at it.

I couldn't stand it, so I went up to her and hugged her, real tight. "Hi Wheein-ah." I used my most gentle voice ever and together, we both let out our suppressed tears. 

"I missed you."

 


 

I don't know how I ended up like this but when I woke up, my eyes felt puffy from crying. I felt really warm, warmer than usual. When I tried getting up, I couldn't. It was because Yongsun was hugging me in place. Upon realizing that, I felt myself getting even warmer. Not wanting to wake her up, I just went back down and wrapped my arms around her. A few minutes later, her beautiful eyes fluttered open.

I touched the tip of her nose, "Finally awake, Yongdonnie?" She wrinkled her nose and I laughed. "I'll take that as no?"

"Five more minutes..."

I playfully slapped her arm, "We don't have time for five more minutes princess. We have classes to get to!" But, she still wasn't budging.

"Byul-ah~" She cooed, "I want you to hug me longer~"

Of course, I had to comply. So, we lied there together, me hugging her. "You're such a needy unnie," I teased.

I chuckled as she groaned. She opened her eyes and looked at me as she whispered, "I just want to be here with you."

I wrapped my arms tighter around her and placed my nose on her chin, "Then be here. Please."

Yongsun was fully awake now. She brushed back the hair covering my face and spoke, "I'll stay right here."

I wonder, how much longer will you want to stay?

 

a/n: I'm back with a longish chapter! I'm also back without being gone for too long! XD

Sorry for all the time skips! I think it might have made some things a bit confusing or rushed, but I really wanted to get the story going in the direction I wanted it to. I hope you don't mind!

And I just want you to prepare yourself for either a whole bunch of fluff, or a whole bunch of angst hehehe. See you guys next time! Feel free to leave a comment.

Oh, also, before I go, there's an important question that I want to ask. Should Wheein accept Hwasa's confession?? I'm curious to see what you guys think. Of course, I have my opinion already~