Chapter 12

Prince Charming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Wednesday afternoon and despite the fact that August was almost over, sweltering heat still filled most days. Jisoo stood by the printer, tapping her finger against the tabletop in a sign of impatience. She could feel her sweat rolling down her back. What was taking the printer so long to spew out three pages? Her eyes narrowed as she studied the small screen. It didn't say 'error.' She pulled out the paper tray. It was full of paper. What the hell was the problem?

"You look like you're about to kill someone." Jennie said in sympathy as she walked over to Jisoo. "The printer's not working again?"

Jisoo sighed as she stepped back and let Jennie fiddle with it. "No. I don't know why it's not working."

"You broke it, didn't you, pumpkin muffin?"

Jisoo turned at the nickname. "I didn't do anything." When Sehun kept grinning, she shoved him aside. "I didn't," she insisted.

"So you two," Jennie began, glancing over her shoulder. "You were into each other this whole time, weren't you? We all knew it!" Both of them stared back at her blankly. "Yeah, we were practically betting on when you'd get together. It's obvious, the way you look at each other when the other isn't looking. And come on, we all know all that arguing and teasing was all because of the attraction." Jennie grinned when Sehun and Jisoo studied each other. "Am I right or am I right?"

Jisoo shook her head swiftly. "No, I hated him. I would never have noticed him if he hadn't started treating me nicely."

"Stop denying it. You obviously wanted me since you met me," he chided, putting an arm around her waist even as she resisted. "You're blushing because Jennie's right."

"You guys are so cute. In any case, I'm just happy for you two. I know things with Suho didn't work out. I was really hoping you'd find someone and you did, Jisoo." She smiled and patted the printer. "This should work now. Oh shoot, I have to go to a meeting! Take it easy on each other, okay lovebirds?"

When she was out of sight, Jisoo pushed him off of her and walked to the printer and pressed a few buttons. "This better work," she muttered. "I've been standing here for twenty minutes. I'm all out of patience."

"You're not patient to begin with," he reminded as he walked over to her. "So you're…completely over Suho, right?"

Dumbfounded by the question, she could only look up.

"What?" He asked innocently.

She studied the printer screen again. "Of course I'm over him. As a boyfriend, he was a heartless bastard. Why do you even have to ask that? You would know out of anybody here." Finally the papers came out of the printer. "Yes! It's working." She took them out and began walking back to their cubicle. When she got to her desk, she turned and bumped her head on Sehun's chest. "Stop following me."

"Do I have a choice? I sit beside you."

"Well…" She moved away so he could pass. She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "You liked me first didn't you?"

"You wish." Realizing where her mind was at, he grinned. "You were blushing pretty badly."

"Because I was embarrassed," she interrupted hotly. "Not because I agreed with her. Besides. You liked me first." She stuck out her tongue immaturely and sat on her seat.

Caught off guard at the cute act, Sehun continued staring at her, even as she turned her back towards him. When she glanced over her shoulder to check his reaction, she jumped back as he stole a kiss from her. "W-what are you doing?" She cried, pushing him away. "We're at work!"

"Stop acting so cute then." He replied calmly before turning back to his own desk.

:::::::::

Sehun relaxed on the bench. He couldn't remember ever spending half of the day in a mountain park waiting for the sunset, but Jisoo had requested it and he couldn't say no. It was funny how a lot of things she asked from him, he was always willing to give to her. Probably because everything he asked, she always seemed to find a way to fulfill it too. He wondered if she knew how much she meant to him. He wasn't sure if he showed it enough. It was certainly a different experience altogether to be more than just another friend.

He turned and caught the way Jisoo's eyelids just about fell. "Sleeping on me?" He declared loudly.

She jumped, woke up immediately, and straightened. "Huh? No."

"You're already dreaming." He gave off an exaggerated sigh, as though offended. "You made me hang out for 6 hours with mosquitoes just so you could sleep on me when the sun's done setting?"

Jisoo smacked his arm.

"Did you at least get to see the sunset?"

"I did," she retorted. "It's not like I fell asleep anyway. Your loud voice woke me up before I could start dreaming."

"That's okay. You can sleep if you want," he relented as he put an arm over her.

"You're so weird." She moved closer and rested her head on his shoulder. "Considering it's our 1-month anniversary…why don't you tell me when you started liking me?"

"…Pass."

"Just answer it."

"You answer first."

Jisoo shook her head briefly in incredulity. "You better give me the full-on, complete, honest, detailed answer after." He just hummed in response. She elbowed his rib in mild annoyance. So typical of a man.

"Well…for me…the moment you took care of the blisters on my ankles, I think I got a little mesmerized. I thought I figured you out already before that. You know, just some jerk who finds it amusing to hurt other people. Then you took care of me the way I was hoping Suho would. It was like a slap in the face. A much-needed slap. I was thinking about it last night. That was the probably the moment I…began to look at you in a different way? I guess?"

"You want me to kiss you?"

She laughed and turned to face him. "I'm just telling the truth. Now you go. Remember what I said."

"But I'm a man," he protested. "It's hard to talk about feelings out loud."

"I don't care. Come on! It's not that hard. Just tell me when you started…seeing me differently. Like, you must've thought of me as some annoying co-worker who's too idealistic, right? That's why you liked teasing me any chance you got."

He angled his head. "At first it was like that, but I'll let you in on a little secret. Men tease women; boys tease girls; because we find them some aspect of them cute. That's really the reason why. Let's see, I found you the most annoying when all I kept thinking about was you. It was really frustrating."

"How about when you first met me?"

"When we first met, I definitely thought you were too idealistic. You still are," he said with a shrug. "That's who you are." Sehun studied her face, noting the anticipation in her eyes. "If we're doing the truth game then fine, since I saw you that first time, I was attracted," he dragged out. "But your attitude was totally off," he quickly added before she could say anything. "You hated me from the moment we met and you were so obsessed with Suho. You used to smile like an idiot when he was around."

Regretting how immature she had been then, Jisoo winced. "I remember that time. Sorry."

"It didn't really bother me. It was fun teasing you. Still is." He laughed when her frown became a pout. "Just think of it as my way of showing my appreciation for you."

Jisoo let out a sound of displeasure.

For a moment he became silent, then said, "Actually… I'm glad. About how things turned out, I mean." Their eyes met and they could tell exactly how the other was feeling. She smiled when he pushed back a stray hand of hair from her face. "I don't even know how it happened. You mean a lot to me, you know that?"

The tears slowly pooled in her eyes.

He shot up in concern. "Don't cry. I didn't say those things to make you cry."

"Some tears aren't out of sadness." She began wiping them away. Why even now little things like this still reminded him of Minhee? "I'm happy right now. I'm really happy, so let me cry."

She'd become so important to him in a matter of months that it was almost scary to think of what it would be like if he was left alone again. "What would I do without you?" He asked quietly to himself.

"I'll always be here, Sehun," she murmured, hearing the question. "I'll be here as long as you need me."

The words, as much as he wanted to be comforted of it, made him sad. It only reminded him of the one fact that he'd purposefully ignored since they began their relationship. The insecurity, the fear never left him, no matter how great everything seemed to be going. Becoming more and more serious now with her, he was reminded yet again. His whole life, nobody ever stayed. Something would always come up and he knew that more than anyone.

::::::::

Jisoo walked across the street to reach Irene's house. It was odd that she found a place in the suburbs, an area known for its family neighbourhoods. As far as Jisoo knew, her cousin was 26, single, and wasn't in any particular hurry to get married and have babies.

Just as she stepped onto Irene's porch, the door opened. Jisoo glanced up. "Oh hello cousin. I want to make fruit smoothies. Come with me." Irene took her arm and pulled her along to the nearest produce store. "If you came one minute too late, you would've had to wait. I'm glad you came just in time."

"Was this a sudden decision of yours, to make fruit smoothies?" Jisoo asked mildly.

"Yes. I was watching a commercial about it just now, while I was waiting for you. I started really craving it. So I have a favour to ask. Luhanwants to take me to Disneyland. I…obviously don't want to go alone with him. I can't even imagine what he might try to say or do if we go by ourselves. So, be our chaperone? I'll pay for your ticket." Jisoo began to shake her head when Irene stopped her. "I'm really not ready for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter