Bittersweet

Roses

Junhong opened his eyes, everything was a blur. Slowly, things came to a focus. Where am I? Junhong looked at the blue walls of the room he was currently in. He pushed himself up much to his difficulty.

He looked down and noticed he was in a bed, shirtless, scars for anyone to see. He quickly pulled up the covers, slowly becoming scared. He glanced down the blankets, relieved that he had on some shorts though they weren't his.  

 Junhong didn't really remember what happened after it started to rain though he can still remember the screams of his mum and the feeling of rain falling on him but how he got here, he had no clue. 

"You're awake." the door in the room that he was in opened, revealing someone that Junhong probably didn't want to see now.

Youngjae walked in, eyes filled with worry. "Do you feel ok, anywhere not feeling good?" He sat on the edge of the bed, hand reaching for Junhong's forehead.  

Junhong jerked back, looking warily at Youngjae. He pulled the blankets up higher, trying to hide his bare shoulders from the other's eyes.

Youngjae pulled back his hand, looking confused and maybe a little hurt but Junhong isn't going to care. "Why am I here and where are my clothes?" Junhong asked, looking up at the older apprehensively. 

"You were at the rooftop when it was raining, you fainted and so I brought you back. Your clothes were all wet so I changed you out of them. I didn't change your underwear if you're worried about that." Youngjae explained, a cheeky grin on his face. 

"Erm, thanks but I should get going, I don't want to impose on you." Junhong was looking around, wondering how he was gonna leave without any clothing. 

"Why would you impose on me? Just stay, I can take care of you." Youngjae tried to tuck the younger back under the covers. Though Junhong did struggle, he was still too weak to push Youngjae's hands away.  

"Don't do this please, you're making things harder." Junhong spoke, still trying to get out of the warm covers.  

"Do what? What make things harder, why are you pushing me away?" Youngjae asked, hurt obvious in his eyes. 

"Do you really not know or are you just playing dumb?" Junhong was fed up. He has had enough of everything to the point where he could feel a headache coming and also he finally managed to get himself partially off the bed, dragging the blankets with him.  

"What? What am I supposed to know?" Youngjae was really confused now.  

Junhong felt really angry, yes but the disappointment he felt. He didn't expect the older to be such a person. "Your girlfriend," Junhong felt a stab in his heart when he said it aloud "she introduced herself to me and told me who she was and that you were hers only. Were you playing with me the whole time?" Junhong's voice cracked.

"Stop making things difficult by caring about me, it will just make me selfish and want you for myself no matter how fake your feelings are. But this is unfair to your girlfriend no matter so stop this." Junhong felt his already sore eyes well up in tears again. 

"Wait what, girlfriend? I don't have a girlfriend." Youngjae was shocked not to say the least. 

"Why are you still lying?" Tears were now flowing freely down Junhong's cheeks. 

"I'm not! I really don't have a girlfriend." Youngjae reached out for the younger only to have his hand slapped away. A sudden thought came into his mind. "Did she say her name, was she called Min In?" 

Junhong merely just nodded, sobs escaping his mouth. Youngjae reached out again, Junhong jerked away, forcing Youngjae to cup the younger's face forcefully until he stopped struggling. 

"Junhong, Junhong please listen to me, she isn't my girlfriend. She was my ex. She wants me back again, I refused. Please believe me, she isn't my girlfriend." Youngjae wiped away the younger's tears, feeling his heart ache and his mind getting clouded with anger. 

Junhong searched the other's eyes, feeling doubtful and now it's his turn to be confused. He sniffed, now not knowing what to say.

Youngjae pushed him back onto the bed, Junhong complied. "Sleep, ok?" Youngjae pulled the blankets higher, brushing Junhong's hair away from his face. 

Once Youngjae made sure Junhong is nicely tucked in and sound asleep, he left the room with angry yet careful steps. 

 

"What the is your problem?" Youngjae's shouted into the phone. 

"Never expected you to call me but what's this about? What did I do? I don't remember doing anything bad." the voice becoming playful. 

", what the did you do. I don't have any patience for your bull." Youngjae felt his blood boiling, wanting to just give the on the other end a tight slap. 

"I didn't do anything, I only reminded who you belong to." The voice was nonchalant. 

"I never belonged to you." Youngjae growled back into the receiver. 

"So you're angry that I met with your little boyfriend when we are still dating?" Min In challenged. 

"We broke up long ago Min In, stop being ing delusional, you were the one that came to me just now asking to reconcile." Youngjae retorted.  

"You are mine and would forever be. If you know what's best, leave the boy and we can live happily ever after." With that, Min In hung up. 

"ing crazy ." Youngjae ran a hand through his hair frustratedly. Youngjae was royally pissed right now. Live happily ever after my foot. I ain't taking orders from that

Youngjae went back into the room where Junhong is now soundly asleep in. Looking at the younger sleeping peacefully, Youngjae felt his heart calm down. 

"I'm not letting you get hurt again." Youngjae promised as he ran his hand through the younger's hair. 

"A....ppa....p...leas...e..stt...op.." Junhong cried out, brows starting to furrow. Tears started to streak down his face, his cries growing louder. 

Oh  Youngjae panicked, not knowing what to do. He tried to gently shake the younger awake but to no avail. He slipped into the bed beside the younger, positioned himself and gently cradled Junhong's head into his lap.(idk how but he managed to)

He started to hum a soft tune that he remembered his mum singing to him when he had his nightmares, feeling the younger relax after a few moments.

 

 

Junhong opened his eyes again to the still unfamiliar surroundings, he felt something going through his hair though it was pretty comfortable and Junhong felt like he could go back to dreamland.

The hand stilled on his head and a small whine slipped out of his throat. A soft chuckle was heard and the hand continued moving, Junhong hummed softly, snuggling into the lap that his head was lying on. 

 

"You awake, love?" Junhong heard a voice that sounded strangely like Youngjae. 

"No," Junhong whined. Wait, love........Youngjae? 

Junhong's eyes shot open, looking up to come face to face with no one other than Youngjae. Immediately, he got up, realised that he was still shirtless, pulled up the blanket and scrambled into a corner of the bed. 

"Wait what," Junhong's memories started coming back and he relaxed visibly. 

"Love, you okay?" Youngjae asked with worried eyes. 

"Yeah, I'm ok."Junhong blushed  

"Well, it's already pretty late and you're probably hungry so wanna order delivery?" Youngjae suggested. 

 

Seated in the living room was Junhong dressed in Youngjae's oversized pyjamas and Youngjae himself with takeout in their hands. With all the things that have happened, the silence was no longer comfortable.

Junhong glaring at his food as if it had offended him while Youngjae occasionally glancing at the younger with worry.  After a long painful silence, Junhong finally spoke, 

"Who is she?"  

"Who what?" Blame Youngjae and his dumbness. More silence followed. 

"Oh, oh right, Min In. She was my ex," Youngjae finally remembered, face-palming himself mentally. You had one job.

"Well, she confessed over a year ago and since I had a little crush on her as well, I figured out why not try, but over the months that we were together, she started to show her ugly side, being all obnoxious, constantly criticising everything that I did, expecting me to give up my life for her while at the same time keeping her tabs on me. Thankfully, Daehyun did warn me before and plus I didn't like her that much so I was clear enough to know that she was just manipulating me as she pleased. I broke it off though not without difficulty and never contacted her at all afterwards." 

Junhong didn't say anything, just scooted over and snuggled into the older's chest. Though he was taller, he could comfortably fit into the older's embrace. No words were needed as Youngjae's arms held him  

"I...i" Junhong hesitated, further burying his face into the warm chest. 

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything right now. I'd wait for you to tell me." Youngjae's voice was gentle and soothing. 

Junhong looked back up at him and as all the cliches go, time seemed to stop as they continued staring into each other's eyes. 

 No one was sure who started it but they both leaned in, eyes on each other's lips, inching closer and closer. Their senses slowly getting filled with the scents of the other. 

Closer 

And closer... 

 
 

"YOO YOUNGJAE-" 

The pair jumped apart, Junhong scrambling all the way to the end of the couch, face stained a cherry red while Youngjae scowled looking over at the intruder. 

" SORRY I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING, LEGIT NOTHING AT ALL I'M JUST GONNA GO, YOU GUYS CAN CONTINUE" the intruder shouted, awkwardly making his way back to the door. 

"Jung Daehyun, get back here. What the do you want?" Youngjae asked, trying to keep it in and not lash out at his roommate that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, like seriously where did he come from. 

"Well....it's okay, i can leave first. It's not anything important anyway." Daehyun waved his hand sheepishly, awkward laughter slipping out of his lips. 

"The moment is already ruined thanks, so what is it that is oh so important that you had to barge in at the wrong timing." Youngjae deadpanned. 

"Haha, erm...your ex is running around, saying that you guys are back together- 

"What!?" Youngjae jumped up, eyes growing as big as saucers. He looked towards Junhong immediately to see those wide eyes looking back at him. 

Youngjae shook his head frantically, "We aren't back together, believe me. Please." He was so, so ing scared the younger would react in the way he did a few hours back, he didn't want to see him cry again. 

 A smile started to form on Junhong's face, "I know, I believe you. Relax." Youngjae sagged in relief, feeling the unclenching of his heart. 

Daehyun glanced between the both of them, curiosity shining in his eyes, "erm...so what's the situation right now?" 

"Shut up Dae, you almost ruined things, so what is actually going on? Im confused as ." Youngjae ran a hand through his hair.  

Junhong felt his breath hitch, looking at Youngjae being all fine just by running his hand through his hair My god I'm so whipped someone help me.  

"It's exactly what i said, your of an ex is running around, telling everyone you guys are back together and giving Junhong a bad name. With how surprisingly popular she is, the news is spreading and its spreading fast." Daehyun explained, giving Junhong a worried glance. 

"Wait what, what did she say about Junhong?" Youngjae questioned.  

"She said many things, many bad things." Daehyun answered, looking between the two of them. 

"Oh my god, stop talking like that and get to the main point already." Youngjae said, irritated.  

The older rolled his eyes, "She said that Junhong was the reason why you guys broke in the first place, basically saying Junhong is a vixen*, , a and other horrible names. People actually believed her, i mean with how fake she behaves in front of others, I'm not surprised."  

 

Daehyun had definitely seen Min In in her very horrible and very real self. With the many years of being friends with Youngjae, he can safely say that Youngjae has the worst of worst tastes when it came to Min In.

He knew from the start of his best friend's relationship that the girl was trouble. He could see through her facade, how pretentious she was but since Youngjae was being all happy, he didn't really want to ruin it for him though he did warn him before.

When things took a turn for the worse, when Min In started to show her real manipulating self, he was so glad that Youngjae actually took his warnings before into consideration and was able to free himself from the 's clutches. 

Youngjae sat back on the couch next to Junhong, taking his hands. "I'm so sorry Junhong, it's all my fault. I shouldn't have dragged you into this."

 Youngjae looking at him with guilty eyes made Junhong feel so weak.  

"It's ok, I'm not exactly someone that people give a about so it's fine, it won't bother me." Junhong reassured. 

"What do you mean not exactly someone that people give a about, i give a about you and it bothers me that the is going around spreading such things about you when you're not like that." Youngjae scolded.  

Junhong was slightly taken aback by how agitated Youngjae was though his face blushed a soft red, " Thank you." He muttered. 

"What for?" Youngjae asked, confused.  

"For everything." 

"Erm guys." Daehyun stood there, silently judging the two of them as they got lost in each other's eyes. 

"Guys, we have things to worry about." He deadpanned. 

No answer. 

"GUYS, STOP WITH THE SAPPY , WE HAVE THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT, YOU GUYS CAN KISS LATER ON GODDAMN." Daehyun had had enough of the two making heart eyes at each other.  

The two finally snapped out of it, Junhong turning red and Youngjae glaring at Daehyun, "Stop ruining the moment, well what do you suggest to do to solve things, smarty pants."  

"Firstly, you can start by not calling me names and secondly, how would i know. That is your ex, not mine."  

"So, you might as well just don't say anything, Junhong and I would appreciate it. Thank you very much." Youngjae rolled his eyes. 

 

Junhong looked between the two of them with what you would call amusement but in his mind he was wondering how the two were even friends with how much they probably fought on a daily basis or maybe it was just him that probably didn't know how friendships work anymore. 

Though he didn't see Daehyun much, Junhong had grown to like him from the few months that he had gotten closer with Youngjae. 

The elder was nice to him maybe cause he knew Youngjae was wooing him so he didn't want to leave a bad impression or something or maybe it could be Daehyun was genuinely being nice. But no matter, Junhong finds him ok. 

Junhong smiled in amusement as the two in front of him continued to bicker like an old married couple.  

"Maybe you guys should be together instead." The youngest spoke up, disrupting the two from their pretty pointless arguement. 

The two simultaneously glanced at each other before they fake gagged with disgust written all over their faces.  

" no, why would i want to be with someone as horrible as him. Besides, he's smitten with you, good luck being with this bastard." Daehyun said as he pointed to Youngjae.  

"Excuse me, how dare you insult me like this. You aren't that great yourself either. Junhong don't listen to that er." Youngjae retorted, sitting back down beside the younger. 

"My eyes are only on you, got it?" Youngjae asked softly, smiling at him. The younger nodded, smiling cutely. 

Daehyun rolled his eyes, mimicking Youngjae's words exaggeratedly making the other turn and glare while Junhong just sat there, laughing at Daehyun's antics.

 

 


* I used vixen in a sense of a fox spirit.In chinese, it is typically used to call someone who have seduced another's husband