Together

Best Friends Drag You Out Of Bed™

The castle's classes were even more dull than usual. Samuel propped up his face with his elbow and tried to concentrate on the very important history of his future kingdom. The textbook's words blurred together. He rubbed his eyes and reread the paragraph.

"So if it was founded in this year..." The prince scribbled an answer to a worksheet in the packet. Looking satisfied with himself, he stretched. "There. Now only three more pages to go."

Daehwi sat nearby, twirling his pencil absentmindedly. He, of course, had to learn as well, but it was more of a priority for his best friend. Who would want a king who did not know the history of his kingdom? Even though he didn't like homework that much, Daehwi did have to keep his grades up in order to not fall behind. Unwillingly, he returned to his work.

It did not take long for Daehwi to get distracted once more. Technically it was Samuel's fault. If only the younger did not have eyebags as noticeable as the sun, all would be well. Daehwi for sure did not notice Samuel's near flawless skin, bright eyes, or handsomeness. Definitely not.

"Are you sleeping well?" Daehwi prodded, tearing his eyes away from Samuel in general.

"I am getting a good amount of rest, thank you very much." This was said with an air of false haugtiness. "What about you?" Samuel's tone softened and Daehwi melted inside.

"Yeah, I'm sleeping well. Based on your eyebags, I beg to differ with your plea." Daehwi was using uncommon words on purpose. It was a game they played. If you used more rare and long words than the other, you won.

The usually composed prince frowned. "Please bring me a mirror," he said to a servant who obediently obeyed.

A few moments later, a mirror was given to Prince Samuel. He smiled in thanks to the worker, and it was Daehwi's turn to frown.

"Daehwi, you need your eyes checked. I do not have eyebags." Samuel looked like a cat with his smug face.

"Yes, you do. What time did you go to bed last night?" The elder was not letting this go.

"I went to bed at 9:30," Samuel told Daehwi.

Daehwi narrowed his eyes. "You are lying."

"Why does it matter to you?"

"You need to take care of yourself. It won't be good for anyone if you fell asleep in your food."

"Right. I'll sleep earlier hyung."

The use of the honorific made Daehwi let go of the subject as they returned to their studies.

...

"Oh no! What am I supposed to wear?" Daniel threw open the doors of his closet.

The stranger had agreed to meet at a local bakery in a few days. They set up the date and time, but everything was tentative. Daniel would only believe he was going when he got there.

Something felt a little off. Though they had met once before—granted, they were both wearing scarves, hats, and whatnot—Daniel felt wary of the stranger. After all, people were humans. Humans tended to do irrational things. An example was when Daniel gave the stranger his phone number. Why did he have to act on impulse? Was it the influence of the silly pun? Or was it something else?

This was not a good idea in the first place. So why was he going along with it? It wasn't like he met the guy online or whatever cliché someone could dream up.

Outfits were thrown out of the closet one by one. Nothing seemed appropriate for a meet up with a stranger. Daniel critically looked at each piece of clothing more closely. Each of them seemed to have a flaw.

"Well, it looks like it's time to go shopping!" Daniel declared to himself. He scooped up his latest paycheck, shoved on a random coat, and left the pile of inadequate clothes.

The clothing store was a little busy, but no one paid any attention to Daniel. That was perfectly fine with him. He shuffled through clothes and racks. Nothing seemed appealing. Everything that he would consider for the outing was too pricey.

Daniel got the attention of a worker who directed him to the section of the store with sales and clearances. This section of the store had fewer choices, but at least Daniel wouldn't have to break the bank to purchase something. The honey haired boy looked through everything thoroughly.

Finally, Daniel found an oversized, yellow sweatshirt and a black shirt with white trim around the neck line. He liked both of them. The black shirt would go well with the maroon jeans he had. Daniel bought them and left the store with giddiness.

Jihoon was not sure why Jinyoung was even more scatterbrained than usual, but it needed to stop. Jinyoung had already messed up orders, tripped over his shoe laces, and spilled ingredients today. Woojin was going to be upset if he found out Jinyoung wasted food.

"Get your act together. We still need to work for a few more hours," said Jihoon. "If not, I won't go to the movies with you."

Jinyoung shaped up quite nicely after that remark.

After the pair locked up the shop, Jinyoung took Jihoon's hand and guided him to Jinyoung's own car. Jihoon looked at him in bewilderment.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jihoon sputtered.

"Well I'm going to drive you to the theater... Unless you want to drive in your own car," Jinyoung hastily said. "I'm fine with that too."

Jihoon nodded his head towards the hands. "I meant that."

"Oh. I can let go if you like, I am so sor-"

"Shut up and drive. You're ruining a perfectly good moment."

"Yes, sir."

Their drive was quickly over, though it was a miracle Jinyoung didn't drive get into a car crash because his hands were shaking. Jihoon found the nervous disposition weirdly adorable. They pulled into the parking lot, tense.

Jihoon took a deep breath and teased,"Why are you nervous? Am I that intimidating?" He made a funny face to ease the atmosphere.

"You are the most scariest human being I've ever known," deadpanned Jinyoung. His eyes were serious. "If I mess this date up, you'll never look at me the same way again."

"What do you mean by that?" Jihoon asked, raising an eyebrow.

Jihoon didn't make a move to get out of the warm car and neither did Jinyoung. They just sat there as Jinyoung collected his thoughts.

"I mean that if I act like a total goofball and ruin this chance I have with you, I would never forgive myself. I do not want to end," Jinyoung pointed to Jihoon and himself. "this. Us. I want us to be the same, even if we do or do not continue a romantic relationship."

Jihoon scoffed. "How can we be the same even if we decide if we're better off friends? It would be awkward at first because I know how you feel about me. I'm sure we would stay friends. Or maybe not. I don't know. Or if we do continue with this personal relationship, why would we stay the same? If I'm in a relationship, I want to learn. I want to know what to do and what not to do. There are things that will change. We will accept that together. This is new to me. I am willing to take a chance. What about you?"

Jinyoung's teary smile was all the answer Jihoon needed.

A/N: I'm super sorry it took me a long time to get this posted. I hope you forgive me! This chapter was longer than usual, so I hope it pleases you. I'd love to have feedback, so please drop a comment! I do reply. Kudos/votes are very much appreciated. Thank you for all the love you guys have given this story! (Was winkdeep too cheesy??) See you in the next chapter. If you go on my Wattpad, there's a picture of Daniel in the black shirt and maroon jeans at the very end of this chapter. -Veil