Rule 1: Don't leave the castle without permission

Best Friends Drag You Out Of Bed™


"Muel-ah! Get up!" An unknown voice shouted in Samuel's ear.

Samuel made no motion to indicate that he heard the voice, pestering him to awaken. In fact, he was deep in his peaceful sleep. (Much to the annoyance of the other trying to get him up.)

"KIM SAMUEL! ARE YOU IN THERE?"

Samuel cracked one eye open. Seeing who it was, he proceeded to roll onto his belly and hide himself under the plush covers. It was super comfortable on his bed which made ignoring his hyung even easier.

"No," Samuel mumbled. He allowed himself a small smile. "Go away Daehwi-hyung." Samuel slyly peeked out from underneath the multitude of blankets to see his hyung's reaction.

The elder pouted. (Very cute, Samuel thought. He dismissed the notion at once.)

"Yah! Today is a very important day," declared Daehwi. "It's a day of festivities and celebration!" Daehwi looked at Samuel impatiently, seeing if he got the memo.

Tilting his head to the side, Samuel tried to recall the date. "It isn't my birthday though," he said at last and burrowed back under the soft bedspread.

Daehwi sighed and rolled his eyes. When would his best friend ever learn? "Of course it is not, no one would want to celebrate your birthday."

Samuel made an incoherent sound. "Excuse me, I am very important."

"Ha!"

"Now if you would like to insult me more, I suggest you wait until I'm 100% awake."

"Fine." Daehwi yanked the covers away from his dongsaeng and he tumbled onto the plush floor. Samuel's bleary eyes and unruly hairstyle made Daehwi stifle a giggle. A piece of hair that stuck out was automatically smoothed down by Samuel's best friend.

"Hey! Who let you do that?" exclaimed Samuel, surprised at the action.

Daehwi grinned. "Me, that's who. Now get dressed, breakfast will be ready shortly." After a few seconds of silence, he mockingly added, "Your Highness." Then he exited the room.

With the help of a servant, Prince Samuel Arredondo Kim got dressed for breakfast.

It was odd, really. The king, a.k.a Samuel's father, had just came back from a neighboring kingdom, when he heard the wail of a child. He ordered the highly protected vehicle to stop at once.

"Sire, I don't think it is a good idea to retrieve the child who is making those unpleasant sound," advised the king's advisor. "There would be dire consequences as well. The expenses would be-"

The king paid no heed to his babbling staff member. He searched for the child, along with his personal guards for a while. Finally, a guard found the crying child. The guard reported that the child was found near a building evidently burned down. No living human being was found in that area except for the child. Only a scrawled piece of paper with the name Kim Arredondo Samuel and a dirty locket were discovered next to him. Everything else was gone because of the fire.
"Your spouse is rather distressed about you not coming home on time." Jihoon held up the king's cell phone. It displayed the message from Jeonghan with an abundance of exclamation points. To be very specific, it said, 'WHERE ARE YOU YOU, I ALMOST DESTROYED SOMETHING BECAUSE I WAS COOKING!!! WHY DID GUARD (CHEF??) MINGYU HAVE TO COME WITH YOU?!! GO HOME!'

Jihoon flipped through the clipboard he carried. "I would also like to inform you that you're running late on you're schedule."

King Seungcheol grunted. "Tell me something I don't know," he muttered under his breath.

"Excuse me, sire?" Jihoon asked.

"Nothing, nothing." Seungcheol shuddered. He didn't want to make his advisor angry. The last time Jihoon got angry, he almost smacked someone with a guitar. (Now that is a story for another time.)

"Sire, please, we must leave. I've delayed your schedule for far too long."

King Seungcheol ignore his advisor as usual and nodded to the guard who found the kid. "I'll be sure to give you a promotion. What is your name?" Seungcheol asked.

"Thank you, Your Highness. My name is Jonghyun Kim," the guard replied. He gave his first then last name, instead of the traditional last then first name.

"Ok, I'll be keeping your name in my mind."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

"Please take care of the child until tomorrow night. I'll be sure to break the news about adopting the child to my spouse by then."

Jonghyun lowered his head. "As you wish, Your Highness."

"Ok," the King clapped his hands. "let's get a move on!"

And with that, Samuel became royalty.

"You're 1 minute and 59.17 seconds late." Daehwi tapped his watch, looking mildly annoyed.

Samuel yawned. "Whatever."

"Manners, Muel-ah! Did you not learn anything during that whole manners program?" scolded Daehwi.

Thinking of the MNET manners course made Samuel shiver. He refused to go through that again. Daehwi would likely make him repeat it if Samuel ever told Daehwi that he hated it.

"Yo, Your Highness, the food is getting stale. Eat up," Daehwi ordered.

"Manners, Daehwi-hyung!" The prince cheerfully reminded his friend. 

He concentrated on using the correct silverware on the meal of fresh eggs and bacon.

"Your father is allowing you to attend the Annual Winter Festival this year," informed Daehwi. "I am to accompany you wherever you go."

Samuel chewed thoughtfully. "You asked for me to be released from the castle and he said no. Now you're lying to me about him letting me go so I can go with you. Am I right or am I right?" He glanced expectantly at Daehwi.

Daehwi shook his head. "Rats, was I that obvious?"

He nodded while shoveling more food into his mouth.

The other looked at Samuel in wonder and awe. "How did you figure that out?"

"I eavesdropped on your conversation." No shame was detected from the prince's voice.

"Samuel! That's rude!"

"Mhmm…" Samuel wasn't really listening to Daehwi anymore. But then again, when did he EVER listen to his hyung?

Daehwi rolled his eyes. Boy, oh boy, was this prince a piece of work. He'd appear charming and charismatic in front of his loyal subjects. (They were everywhere, by the way.) When the prince was all alone, (well alone as he could ever be) he'd transform into a lazy, sarcastic, and even more adorable person. Wait, did Daehwi just call him adorable? Daehwi rubbed his forehead. Being around Samuel must have affected him too much. He made a mental note to request a day off.

"I'll go."

Daehwi thought he needed his ears checked. The Samuel he knew wouldn't bend a single rule, much less break one set by the king himself.

"Really?" Daehwi's eyes widened. "Wow."

His mischievous smile widened. "Really."

Daehwi's mood improved almost instantly. "Oh boy."

Nodding, Samuel said, "That's right. Oh boy."

It was easy obtaining clothing that blended in easily with the crowds of people at the celebration. The maids were more that happy to be of service to the future king. They didn't question anything either, which was very helpful. The younger got some clothes for Daehwi as well. 

Samuel struggled to put the jacket on without the assistance of a servant. He looked pleadingly at Daehwi with his best 'I'm not capable of doing anything without someone's help' face. The elder, now playing the role of a servant, scoffed. 

"There's no way am I ever going to help you put on a jacket. You have two hands. Use them," Daehwi suggested. He turned away to put on his shoes.

"Ugh! Fine!" Samuel clumsily grabbed the jacket, only to have it slip from his fingers. He scooped it up, praying that his best friend didn't notice. The jacket was rather dark and short. His maid informed him that it was called a bomber jacket. With the best of his ability, Samuel finally slipped into the article of clothing.

"See Daehwi? I did it!" Samuel was extremely proud of himself. 

Daehwi raised his eyebrows. "Congrats," he deadpanned. Daehwi noted that Samuel had really bright eyes when he was proud. He, of all people should know that, since he's been around the crown prince practically his entire life. Daehwi pointed to the rest of the outfit scattered on the bed. "Good luck."

"Daehwi!"

The latter grinned and stepped out into the hall.

When Samuel was finally dressed, they tried to find a way to sneak out of the castle. It sounded easier than it actually was. 

"Don't stand up so straight! People who see you might recognize you!" chastised Daehwi.

"This is what you get for making me learn manners!" Samuel shot back. "It'll be bad for my backbone if I slouch! That's what Instructor BoA said!"

"Then just look at the floor!"

"But that's not fun!"

The bickering pair became silent when the king they saw the king. Because of their talking, they didn't notice him standing in front of them until too late.

"May I ask you two a favor?" King Seungcheol said. He held out a sealed piece of paper. "I would like you to deliver this to 101 Bakery. I would ask one of my messengers, but I'm in a bit of a rush."

Daehwi took the letter quickly, glad that Samuel had gotten caps for the both of them.

The king looked perplexed. "You aren't replying 'Yes, Your Highness'?" After a pause he exclaimed, "Ah, I know who you are!"

Daehwi and Samuel froze.

"You're the new runners I told Jihoon to hire! I see…well, since you're new, the way to the servants' entrance and exit is located on the floor beneath this. You can't miss it."

Daehwi squeaked a thank you and pulled Samuel towards the elevator.

"And boys?" King Seungcheol called after them. The duo looked back to the king. "Don't stay out too long!"

The elevator pinged and opened. They stepped in.

Still in the hall, King Seungcheol laughed a little, very entertained. "Servants." His mouth twitched up. "Or shall I say Samuel and Daehwi?"