08090913.00

Being in Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08090913.00

Hayoung received a phone call that her secretary was currently getting treatment in a hospital.

“Which hospital?” asked the tall woman.

“I’ll text you the address,” said Namjoo’s guardian. “I have a favor though.”

“What is it?” Hayoung asked.

“N-nevermind. I think fruits are bit expensive nowadays,” said the guardian. “I will be out for the day so it’s going to be you and Namjoo when you arrive. The doctor said she’ll wake up soon. Gotta go now.”

After the call ended, Hayoung received the address of the hospital. Tapping her fingers on the table, she pondered whether she should visit her secretary or not. But before making a decision, she started coding her new program at an incredible speed. Her fingers swiftly typed on the keyboard until she finished her assigned computer work for the day. Once she’s done, she removed her eyeglasses and stretched her neck.

“Ahh… it’s almost nine. Gotta buy ‘em fruits.” She merrily spun her car keys between her fingers as she left her office for the hospital.

-----

“It’s been a long time since we’ve seen each other, Eunji.”

“Yeah?” Eunji smiled. “How have you been, Sojin unnie?”

“Nothing much,” Sojin replied with a smile. She rose up and sat on her bed. “Did something happen? I know you wouldn’t visit me for nothing.” A smile crossed her face when she realized what the younger woman was up to.

“I-I met up with your sister…” Eunji hesitated.

“And?” Sojin asked. “Did you tell her the reason why you left?”

“A-a part of it…” Eunji looked down.

“Come here.” Sojin motioned for Eunji to come closer and sit down on the chair beside her. The latter rested her head on the bed, while the older woman  her hair in a slow, comforting manner. “It’s okay if you’re not ready.”

“When will I be?” Eunji asked.

“You’ll know when it comes,” Sojin replied with a smile on her lips. “You’re not completely honest with me too, are you?” she asked playfully.

“Sorry, unnie…” The eye-smiling woman sighed.

Sojin knew there was more of what Eunji was keeping to herself. There were things still untold by the younger woman even though they already knew each other for a long time.

It was more than four years ago when Sojin had found an unconscious woman in a dark alleyway by chance. The sky was dim since there was a violent storm; loud claps of thunder clamored the heavens repeatedly. At that time, she was the owner of the club, running errands here and there when she stumbled upon a woman whose wrist was cut deeply. The rain washed away the blood as the woman laid unconscious on the ground. Out of instinct, Sojin came to rescue. She took her in, fed her, and clothed her like she was her own kin. Though not related by blood, the younger woman had already been like a little sister to her.

Still, it was a vivid memory for Sojin to witness the younger woman in such a devastating state. Right now, she was more than happy to see her visitor just being alive.

“Unnie, I wonder what would happen if you didn’t find me…” Eunji’s voice trailed off, followed by a tired exhale.

“But I found you, right?” Sojin replied, caressing the younger woman’s hair.

Eunji rested her face on her arms as tears formed in her eyes. Not long after, she fell asleep in the comfort of the woman who once saved her life.

-----

“What is the name of the patient?” the nurse asked.

“Kim Namjoo,” Hayoung replied.

“Kim Namjoo-ssi is at Room 419 at the fourth floor,” the nurse said after scanning the hospital records.

“Thank you.” Hayoung left the reception area and rode the elevator. She entered the room and found her secretary sleeping on the bed. On the bedside table, she carefully placed the basket full of fruits she bought not too long ago. A few minutes after, a doctor came to check on Namjoo.

“Where is her guardian?” the doctor asked.

“I think she left,” Hayoung replied.

“And you are?” the doctor asked some more.

“I am her employer,” she replied.

“Oh, you see, the patient’s body is extremely overworked,” the doctor said. “Care to explain?”

“She works with me in the morning,” Hayoung explained, “and I believe she has a part-time job during the night.”

The doctor sighed. “I’m not in the position to say this but she should only have one job if she wants to live well. Her workload is taking a toll on her body, and if she’s not careful, I don’t know what would happen to her next.”

“Is that so?” Hayoung replied worriedly.

“Yes,” the doctor replied while taking notes of Namjoo’s vital signs. “Now, if you’d excuse me.” The doctor bowed and left the room.

Hayoung glanced at her secretary who was sleeping with wide open. She took a picture of her and made it her secretary’s contact photo on her phone.

“Cute.” The tall woman chuckled. She stared long at her secretary, noticing the dark circles below her eyes. Just by looking at Namjoo got her all worried. “At least take care of your body if you’re going to grind yourself with work,” she mumbled to herself as she sat on the chair beside the bed.

Namjoo grunted as a pain streaked over her head the moment she opened her eyes. Her body felt heavy as if it was cemented on the bed. She slowly raised her left hand, discovering that it was connected to an IV drip.

“I’m in the hospital, aren’t I?” Namjoo asked herself.

“You’re right,” a familiar voice answered her question. “Good morning, Namjoo unnie.”

“CEO-nim?!” Namjoo slowly rose up, agape upon seeing her boss comfortably sitting on her side. “What are you doing here?!”

The blonde woman felt small as it came to her that it was already her second time to miss work.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t go to work again, CEO-nim.” She lowered her head, disappointed with herself.

“Are you really calling me that?” Hayoung snickered.

“How did you know I was here anyway?” Namjoo asked.

“Your guardian called me you couldn’t make it today because you’re here in the hospital,” Hayoung answered.

“Eunji unnie?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter