'15'16.0713'0715.00

Being in Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'15'16.0713'0715.00

Throughout the meeting, Hayoung presented her proposals with mastery even though she was beyond nervous deep inside. Her secretary sat on the side, intently listening to her while taking down notes during the presentation.

Namjoo noticed the overall mood from the audience which she deemed as good, seeing them nodding their heads in agreement to what Hayoung was saying.

“You’re doing great,” Namjoo mouthed silently to the woman in front, raising a thumbs up.

“Thanks.” Hayoung returned an okay sign.

The meeting concluded, wrapping up the event with contract signing and picture taking. Their new client applauded Hayoung for her breakthrough in security management with the program she created.

“We’ll make full use of your program,” her client said in assurance. “Expect us to fund your future projects as well, Ms. Oh Hayoung.”

“Thank you very much!” Hayoung shook his hand.

“We expect nothing less from you,” he said. “Keep up the good work.” The man exited with his crowd, leaving the two woman behind inside the hall.

“Wow.” Hayoung heaved a sigh of relief, wiping the sweat on her forehead. “We got it, unnie!”

“I know!” Namjoo replied, jumping on her place. She gave the younger woman a high five. “That was awesome, Hayoung-ah!”

“Eh?” Hayoung smirked. “What did you just call me?”

“I-I… uhh… that was a slip of tongue.” Namjoo looked down apologetically, scratching her head in dismay. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s fine.” Hayoung smiled. “I like it.”

Namjoo hastily searched for her phone to hide her tomato red cheeks and avoid the younger woman’s eyes. “I better email the office about the news, right?” She typed on her phone while walking out of the building. “It’s nighttime there though.”

Hayoung suddenly slumped her head onto the shoulder of the blonde woman.

“Call a taxi…” she said, breathing heavily. “Now…”

“Huh?” The blonde woman’s fingers immediately traced Hayoung’s cheeks. “Yah! You’re burning up! Should we go to the hospital?!”

“Not there… hotel…” Hayoung coughed hysterically, still resting her head on the older woman’s shoulder. “Please… call a taxi…”

Namjoo frantically waved at the road. “Taxi!”

Thankfully, it didn’t take them long until a taxi stopped in front of them.

“Mister, can we stop by the nearest pharmacy first?” Namjoo asked with desperation in her voice.

“Pharmacy? What?” the driver asked, not knowing what the word was.

“You know, the place where you buy medicine and such,” Namjoo replied. “Please, we need to hurry.”

“Ahh, you mean a chemist,” the driver replied. “Got it.” He stepped on the gas and hurried to the said place that was blocks away.

-----

It took the blonde woman all of her strength to carry the younger woman up to their room. Once the latter was already sitting on the bed, Namjoo grabbed a glass of water and brought out the medicine she bought a while ago.

“Here’s your medicine.” She handed the glass to Hayoung.

“Ngnh…” Hayoung shook her head. “I can’t…”

“Why not?!” Namjoo was becoming visibly annoyed. She didn’t like how the younger woman lied about her condition. “Stop being so stubborn! Drink it already so you’ll feel better.”

“I-I can’t swallow tablets…” Hayoung confessed, shyly looking away. “I have a small throat…”

A silent ‘o’ formed on the older woman’s mouth. “I-I-I see… wait for me.”

Namjoo went to the kitchen and crushed the tablet with a spoon, returning to Hayoung with the medicine in its powdered form.

“Can you drink it now?” Namjoo asked, kneeling to meet the woman’s pale face.

“Yeah…” Hayoung swallowed the bitter powder in one go and pushed it down with water.

“Now lie down and rest,” Namjoo ordered. She prepared a wet towel and gently wiped the woman’s arms and legs. After that, she rinsed the towel and placed it on her forehead. “I’ll come back later to change the towel.”

Hayoung clung on the older woman’s hand. “Are you going to leave?” Her eyes were b with tears, much to her secretary’s shock.

“No,” the blonde woman replied. “I’m just going to rest in the living room.”

“Are you going to leave me too?” Surely, Hayoung was not in the right mind. She was being uncharacteristically afraid. “Are you?” she asked again, using her remaining strength to pull the blonde woman closer.

It bothered Namjoo so much, arriving to a thought that someone important must have left Hayoung before, and she didn’t want to do the same. Seeing the pained expression on the woman made a strange, uncomfortable pull in her chest.

“I’m not going to leave.” The blonde woman sat on the bed and gently caressed the younger woman’s hair. “I’m here to stay, Hayoung-ah.”

-----

“Hello, it’s me again.” Minah waved after the redhead opened the door. “Mom already left by the way.”

“Come in, come in!” Chorong guided the child into her home.

“Mom wanted you to have this as a thank you.” Minah handed over a box of chicken feet. “She told me that you’ll love it.”

“I do!” Chorong said excitedly. “Tell your Mom I love it.”

“Will do.” Minah beamed.

“Do you want to eat breakfast first?” the redhead asked.

Minah nodded enthusiastically. “I love your cooking!”

After stuffing themselves with chicken feet and omurice, the two of them felt sleepy. They went inside the bedroom and laid down on Chorong’s bed.

“Can you help me make a meal for Mom later?” Minah asked. “I want to surprise Mom but I don’t know how to cook.”

“Hmm?” Chorong propped her arm as a makeshift pillow for the child. “Why? What’s the occasion?”

“It’s Mom’s birthday today,” Minah replied. “I want to buy her a cake and cook her favorite army stew. I even brought my savings for the groceries.”

“Ahh, I see.” Chorong nodded in understanding. “Sure, let’s go to the supermarket later and buy some ingredients.”

“You’ll really help me?!” Minah’s mouth was wide open. “Really?!”

“Of course.” Chorong ruffled the child’s hair. “It’s her birthday so we gotta make it special for her.”

“Thank you!” Minah hugged the older woman tightly, burying her face onto the neck of the latter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter