1919202021

Being in Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N]: Chapter Update 4/4; I highly advise to bookmark the last chapter you read since it might get confusing with the multiple updates I made.

1919202021

“Do you want me to drive?” Namjoo asked the woman sitting on the driver’s seat.

They were exhausted after they finished their overtime work that piled up from the time they were gone for their business trip. Despite being tired, they decided to visit the wake together that night.

“It’s fine.” Hayoung smiled, unconsciously heaving a sigh afterwards. Her hand on the lever was enveloped with warmth as the blonde woman gently placed hers on top of it.

“Let’s switch places. I’ll drive,” Namjoo repeated, earning a light nod from the younger woman.

After switching places, they locked their seatbelts and prepared for the drive.

“Let’s buy something before we go,” the tall woman said.

“Flowers?” Namjoo asked, the younger woman replied with a giggle.

“Yup. Lead the way.”

-----

“I’m sorry, unnie…” Bomi heaved a deep sigh, trying to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling in her chest. “I couldn’t find her. I’m so sorry…”

At the wake, Chorong and Bomi were the only ones by the altar. The guests were at their backs, drinking while playing with cards over their food. It was a bit rowdy for a funeral.

Chorong had a stoic expression on her face all throughout. Her emotions rushed into her mind all at once that it made her numb like a canvass without color.

Bomi handed the old family photograph to the redhead. “I believe it’s time to give this back.”

Chorong took it and inserted it on her sister’s frame. Their faces could barely be distinguished from the photo. She wondered if they were smiling or not, but she hoped that they were because it meant that they were happy together at some point in their lives.

“We’ll find her,” Bomi said, putting her arm on the waist of the redhead as she pulled her closer. “I’ll do whatever it takes.”

After a while all of the guests have left, leaving behind dirty plates and glasses on the table which Chorong and Bomi cleaned together. They turned their heads towards the door the moment Eunji and Naeun stepped inside the wake.

Eunji immediately approached Chorong and locked her in her arms. “Sojin unnie…” she mumbled, crying helplessly. She felt bad not spending her time with the person who saved her life in her last moments.

With that, Chorong finally broke down. “She’s gone, Eunji… unnie’s gone…”

They were the ones who understood each other the most because they shared the same agony of losing Sojin.

“I’ll just buy some soju and food…” Bomi took Naeun with her whose face had an unusual expression, giving the two crying women some space of their own.

The brunette lightly dragged Naeun outside of the building.

“Chorong unnie and Eunji.” Bomi faced the younger woman. “They know each other?” 

Naeun shrugged in reply. “How did you even meet Chorong unnie?”

“And you know her too!” Bomi replied with her finger pointing at the fair woman. “How?!”

“I work for her,” Naeun answered, resting her back on the wall.

Body expert. Bomi remembered what Eunji said back then. The latter was already hinting at the nature of Naeun’s work. “I see.” The brunette nodded in understanding.

“They seemed close.” Naeun crossed her arms, her fingers irritably tapping her skin. “I didn’t know that.”

“Now’s not the time for your jealousy.” Bomi plopped on the floor beside the woman.

“What did you say?” Naeun scoffed, frowning at the brunette. “Who said I’m jealous?!”

“Calm down,” Bomi almost growled. “I feel the same way, but we have to understand that Chorong and Eunji are grieving because of this.”

Naeun exhaled a deep breath, calming herself down. After a few seconds, Naeun broke the silence as she asked a question. “So you like Chorong unnie?”

“Yeah,” Bomi answered straightforwardly, biting the skin beside her fingernail. “I would be lying if I said I’m unbothered.”

-----

Together, Chorong and Eunji paid their respects by the altar. The latter scrunched her eyes and focused on the family portrait just beside the large picture frame.

“Oh!” Eunji pointed at the small picture. “Your family picture?”

“Yeah…” Chorong replied. “I didn’t know that I had a younger sister until recently. Sojin unnie didn’t even meet her.” She sighed. “If only our parents didn’t separate…”

After finishing their prayers, the two women sat beside each other by the tables.

“Hey, unnie…” Eunji muttered, fiddling with her fingers.

“Hmm?”

“Did Sojin unnie tell you anything?”

Chorong immediately knew what the younger woman was fishing about with her question. “You mean that?” She faced Eunji with concern. “Are you really letting it take over you?”

“She told you, huh?” Eunji picked up a bottle of soju from the table, drinking the little amount remaining in it. “No. Not anymore.” She sighed in satisfaction after she finished the alcohol. “I’m tired, unnie.”

“I hope so. It’s really dangerous, Eunji.” Chorong took the empty bottle away from the younger woman.

The corner of Eunji’s lips tugged up with an empty stare formed in her eyes. “I’ll be back.” Upon stepping out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter