The Work Out

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Jin did was run to the store to buy some air fresheners. He dumped his bag in his room and ran out the door within five minutes of us arriving. I didn't think we needed to spend money on this. I went into the bathroom, grabbed a can of Febreeze, and walked around the living room, spraying the ocean scented mist around the room until we could've felt the spray of the waves on our faces. Jungkook stopped me, grabbing my arm and gently pushing it down.

"I think you got it, Kimmy." he said quietly.

"You think Jaesun-ssi could've seen his way clear to getting rid of the smell along with everything else bad he came to get rid of?" I grumbled, setting the Febreeze can on the coffee table.

"It's like popcorn." Jungkook said. "The smell of burning things stays around for weeks." He slid my bag off my shoulder, carrying it as well as his own. "Come on, let's get settled."

"I can carry my own bag, Jungkook." I told him.

"I know." Jungkook said. "I'm being chivalrous."

"Chivalry is dead."

"Dammit, Kimmy, I'm trying to show off!"

"Why would you need to show off for me?" I asked. "Kookie has a crush?"

"Kookie needed an ego boost." Jungkook said. "Not that you let him have it."

"It's my job not to let Kookie have it." I said. We made it to my room. I opened the door. It seemed suspiciously clean. I mean, sure, it was messy, but it was meticulously messy. Messy on purpose. I wasn't messy on purpose. I'm messy because entropy is inevitable. This wasn't extropy. "Hmm..."

"Something wrong, Kimmy?" Jungkook asked as he stepped over and around the junk litering my floor to my bed with a practice that said I didn't clean my room nearly often enough. He put my bag down on my bed.

"It's probably nothing." I hear myself saying, even though I don't think it's nothing. Jaesun-ssi had to get my clothes, so he had to be in my room, so it made sense that some things were probably out of place. I was probably just being paranoid, I told myself as my eyes combed over the room, trying to remember what it looked like when we left.

"You've got a look on your face." Jungkook said. "You sure it's nothing?"

"No." I said. "But I'm more sure that it's nothing than that it's not nothing."

Jungkook made a face as he tried to puzzle that one out. "Alright. If it becomes not nothing, let me know, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded. Jungkook crossed back through my room to me, and gave me a hug.

"Get settled." he said. "Jaesun-ssi will probably have something for us. We'll ask about when your fit test is for you."

I half-laughed. "I don't like that guy. Won't let me talk to him about my own bloody test!"

"He's how commanding officers are supposed to be." Jungkook said. "Kangdae-ssi was the exception."

"That'll be an adjustment." I muttered. Jungkook let go of me, messing up my hair.

"Don't do anything stupid, Kimmy." he said sternly as he backed out of my room. Challenge accepted.

I sat on my bed and stared into space for about five seconds before I was bored out of my mind. On a whim, I decided to go to the gym. I hadn't done that since before I got that fever, and I was itching to punch something. I ped the bag of clothes and dug through it for a sports bra, because I knew I'd seen one in there. I pulled it and a plain blue teeshirt out, and grabbed a pair of sweat pants from my open dresser. In a few minutes I was changed. I put my Grim in my pocket, and I stepped out into the hall. Jin was hanging air fresheners all around the apartment.

"We don't want the apartment to smell like a new car." I told him as I passed.

"It won't." Jin said. "It'll smell like..." he checked the label, "... peppermint surprise. Whatever that is."

"Christmas." I answered. "That's a Christmas scent if I ever heard of one."

"Yeah, probably." Jin said. "We're waiting for Jaesun-ssi to call in the living room."

"Yeah, and I'm not invited." I reminded him. "Remember, I'm part of the Unit in name only until I get cleared for duty."

"Oh." Jin said. "Then where are you going?"

"To the kitchen for a bottle of gatorade." I said. "And then to the gym."

"Don't you have homework to do?" Jin asked. I groaned.

"I will genuinely never need to do it again!" I said. "It can wait until after the gym!" And with that, I walked into the living room. The boys were gathered around the couch, looking tense and a little anxious. I stepped into the kitchen and grabbed a Gatorade from the fridge. I stepped back out into the living room. "I'm going to the gym." I announced to the boys. "Tell me what happens?"

The guys all looked at each other, and I glared at them. Rapmon sighed. "Of course we'll tell you, Kimmy. If we get an assignment tonight, you'll probably be staying with Taehyung, since he's your official partner. Jaesun-ssi might not let us change it around." I looked at Taehyung appraisingly, who looked bored.

"Alright." I said. "Good luck." I grabbed the keys and left the apartment. It was reassuring to jog through the familiar streets on my way to the gym. The streets were pretty empty. It was school hours, work hours. That said, it's still Seoul, so the streets still had heavy foot traffic. I weaved in between people on the sidewalk as I approached the gym. I realized as I made it to the doors of the gym that I'd forgotten my earphones back at the apartment. Dammit. I thought as I walked inside. I hated working out without earphones. I got bored so easily if I didn't have something to keep my mind occupied, like music or TV. But the TV subtitles were awful and clunky, so that was out. I'd just have to hope I could hear the music over everyone else in the gym. Not very likely, but I could dream.

I went to the treadmill for my warm up. I glared at the TV and it's slow, awkward subtitles as the treadmill picked up speed. Who reads this slowly?! And if I looked away for more than a split second, I'd miss them! I ended up shortening my run on the treadmill just becuase I couldn't stand to just run without anything to occupy my thoughts. I moved to one of the machines. I set the weights to forty five kilograms, grabbed the handles, and pulled, watching as the weights rised and fell when I pulled and released. I got into a decent rhythm, entranced by watching the weights go up and down. I sort of lost track of time. It can't have been more than a few minutes, but I was pulled out of the trance when the protests from my shoulders got to be too much to ignore.

I moved on to a different machine, this one designed to help my biceps instead of my shoulders. I fell into a similar trance as with the first machine, but I came out of it a little sooner than before. It appears I have to actually start counting my reps, because my poor arms were starting to hate me! Triceps were next. I counted out my reps this time, to twenty. By now, I had a greasy shine to me, and I could feel sweat dripping down my back. I felt good and sore. I imagined Taehyung saying I should see if Sephora had a better setting spray, because I looked like a grease ball, and I spent the next couple of machines, where I worked out my legs, thinking of various ways to tell him that we all couldn't be so reliant on magic to keep our faces matte when we worked out. Not that he ever did.

By the time I was done with all the machines, my muscles felt liquid. I felt warm and powerful. I felt like I burned every calorie I ever consumed and then some. I took a towel from the basket hanging on the wall and wiped my face and the back of my neck with it as I walked through t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter