The Apartment

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We Crossed back into our world in our new apartment. The first thing I noticed was it was much smaller than our apartment back in Seoul. The kitchen and living room were one room. The couch in the living room was a pullout, and the bed had been pulled out, further limiting the space. Jin and Taehyung had actually landed on the bed. Three doors lined a thin, short hallway branching off the main room.

"I think there's only two bedrooms." J-Hope said.

"That'll be a bit cramped," Jungkook said as he and Suga jogged to the hallway. Suga opened a door. "All seven of us in one room."

"Don't be ridiculous." I said. "I'm not going to hog a bedroom all to myself if there's only two rooms."

"Even if we share, four to a room might be a bit cramped." Suga said. "These rooms are pretty small. Two bunk beds in each, pretty much right next to each other."

"And there's no groceries." Rapmon reported. "Alright, who could stay up?" I raised my hand, and Taehyung, not wanting to be outdone, raised his as well. He was followed by Jin. Rapmon nodded. "We'll sleep in shifts, at least for tonight. Kimmy and I will get groceries. Two to a room, two in the living room. Get some rest."

The boys filed off down the hallway into their rooms. Jungkook and Jimin came back carrying flat pillows and blankets that looked very scratchy. While they made their bed, I opened the fridge, checking how much room we had. Not much. The pantry wasn't much better.

"At least it's only temporary." I muttered to Rapmon as he took the key off the hook. He nodded, holding the door open for me.

"I'm sorry you'll have to share a room with us." he said as we walked to the elevator.

"I don't mind." I said. "It's not like I need a room all to myself. We all know none of us would try anything."

"Yeah." Rapmon said. "But we're not easy to live with period. Let alone sleep in the same room with. Trust me, I know."

Silence then, as we rode the elevator down. I hated the silence. It made it so much more clear that we were dancing around everything that had just happened. With no conversation to distract me, my mind kept going over it all. The girl killed by the Imperial and Kangdae-ssi's charred corpse made numerous appearances. At some point in my swirl of thoughts, I caught a glimpse of their two bodies dancing together. I tried to ruminate on the mole bomb that Jaesun-ssi had dropped on us, but then Taehyung's smirking face and taunting voice interrupted, reminding me about my illness, and that I was technically off-duty.

What was up with that, anyway? A vital debriefing after a massive attack, and Jaesun-ssi wastes valuable time debating whether or not I should be allowed to listen in? Even though I was still technically off-duty, I should be allowed to know what happened, shouldn't I? And besides, it's not like the rest of my Unit wouldn't fill me in immediately afterwards! Well, Taehyung probably wouldn't tell me, and maybe if the rest of 'em had been ordered not to tell me they wouldn't right away (which would be a whole 'nother can of worms, because why would someone not want me to know critical information like this for when I was put back on duty), but I could still probably wheedle the information out of Jungkook, at least. But still, I don't know what this guy's problem is. And the way he was looking at me...

And then I was seeing Kangdae-ssi's body rushing towards me, and I jumped a little.

"You okay, Kimmy?" Rapmon asked as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open smoothly.

"Ne." I answer automatically, without really hearing him. The two of us link arms and walk through the lobby and out the door. It's early enough that the lights have been turned off and I doubt even a spider was in the lobby to see these two young adults who no one had ever seen here before. We step out into the street, and though the city is still very much noisy and alive, I barely hear any of it as Rapmon guides me down the street. I'm still thinking about all that has happened tonight. Has someone found the little girl's body? I clearly still need to tell someone about her and the boy, but how can I? Who should I tell? I was originally planning to tell Kangdae-ssi, but now he's dead - I saw flames Kangdae-ssi's face, and I screwed my eyes shut for a moment (as if that would help), and forced myself back on track. Kangdae-ssi is dead, and I don't trust his replacement nearly as much as I trusted Kangdae-ssi.

Which I suppose is natural. After all, I've known Kangdae-ssi for years, and I've known Jaesun-ssi for less than an hour - or did I? Because I would bet good money I've heard his voice before. I strained to remember where I could've heard his voice. Somewhere in Central? I tried to remember, but all I could get from the dregs of my tired brain was some half-baked imprint of a word I didn't recognize. This didn't help, at all! I swear I know him from somewhere... Maybe it was deja vu, or maybe I was just tired and stressed, and being paranoid. Either way, my point remains. I don't trust Jaesun Smith enough to be able to tell him what I saw. Maybe someone else at Central I'm more familiar with? Or one of the boys?

Rapmon and I came to a stop in front of a brightly lit twenty-four hour convenience store.

"C'mon." Rapmon said, holding the door open for me. "It's the only place open this late." I followed Rapmon inside, squinting at the bright light and realizing that a headache that had been there since the night began just got a lot worse. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter