The Death

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"He's dead." Taehyung said.

"He's dead?" Jungkook echoed.

"The hell you mean, he's dead?" I asked.

"Exactly what I said, Kimmy, he's dead!" Taehyung said harshly. He took off his damp hoodie and threw it over Kangdae-ssi's face. J-Hope shut his Grim angrily. Silence clung to us like humidity makes our clothes stick to our backs. The silence stretched onwards, seemingly infinite and everlasting, and it was loud, buzzing in my ears, and my chest ached as my heart seemed to swell like it was going to burst.

"What... What do we do now?" Jimin asked.

"Report it." J-Hope said.

"To who?" I asked. "No one's answering!"

"We'll wait for Suga to get back from the hospital." Rapmon said, clearing his throat. "Everyone try to stay calm."

"Calm??!" I said, and my voice sounded funny to my own ears. "How are we supposed to be calm?! What the is going on?!" It was just too much. The little girl and boy in the park, and then Kangdae-ssi dying, too much had happened in the past six hours, and I didn't have an explanation for any of it! I didn't know if I needed to cry, scream, hit something, or all three! What was going on?

Jungkook pulled me into a hug. "Kimmy, breathe! It'll be okay!"

"How is it going to be okay?!" I asked, an edge of hysteria in my voice.

"I don't know, but it definitely won't be okay if you're not calm!" Jungkook said, rubbing my back. "Now, breathe in..." I took a shakey deep breath. Jungkook guided me through a few deep breaths before Rapmon's phone rang.

"Hello?" Rapmon asked. He pressed a few buttons, and Suga was on speaker. "It's too late, hyung. Kangdae-ssi is dead."

Suga cursed. "Just as well the old man kicked it, then, because the hospital in Central is swamped! Whatever happened to Kangdae-ssi's office happened everywhere!"

"So that's why no one was answering!" Jin said.

"Everyone!" Suga was saying. "I wouldn't be surprised if every command in all of East Asia had been hit!"

"Does anybody know how this happened?" Rapmon asked.

"If they do, they're not telling me." Suga said. "I'm not roasted to a fine golden crisp, so I'm not a priority. Should I try to tell them about Kangdae-ssi?"

"Yes, thank you hyung." Rapmon said. "Stay safe. Meet us back at the apartment."

"Roger." Suga said, and he hung up. Rapmon looked at the rest of us.

"Stay here." he said. "Stay here until someone comes to collect Kangdae-ssi. Then, go to Central."

"What're you going to do?" Jimin asked.

Rapmon's hand went to his pocket for just a moment. "What do you mean?"

"Your wording implied that you were going to do something else while we all waited here, standing around the body of our boss." Jimin said. But before Rapmon could answer, there was a knock on the door.

"Management!" called a man through the door. "Your smoke detector went off for a few seconds! Everything alright?"

The seven of us traded slightly panicked looks. We were a group of damp, college aged kids with a badly burned dead body on our floor. How the were we going to explain that? Taehyung couldn't cast a spell silently, so we couldn't rely on magic... My mind raced as I thought of options. A half baked thought popped into my mind, and I pushed Jungkook down onto the floor next to Kangdae-ssi. I grabbed a blanket, flung myself down next to him, and pulled the blanket over the both of us and the rest of Kangdae-ssi's body.

"What're you doing?!" Jin hissed frantically.

"Answer the door!" I hissed back. The manager knocked again, louder this time.

"Hello?!" he called. "You guys okay?!"

"Uh, yeah!" Jin called back, looking from me to the door. "Coming!" He went to the door. He actually worked perfectly for the barebone string of incoherent thoughts that passed as my plan in this situation. His shirt was off thanks to Taehyung needing to heal him. He opened the door just enough so that management would only see him.

"Is everything alright?" Management asked.

"Yessir, thank you." Jin said. "We just forgot to watch the stove for a second. Got a little distracted." He opened the door a little bit so that the manager could see me and Jungkook on the floor together under the blanket. We'd apparently made the man so worried that he came straight to see us without changing out of his nightshirt. I smiled sweetly at him and the manager smiled back awkwardly. The manager cleared his throat.

"Well, uh... There's no damage?" he asked. Jin shook his head.

"We took care of it, sir." said Jin.

The manager looked from me to Jin. "Just... one of you come downstairs when it's light out and file a report." he said. "Goodnight."

"Night!" Jin said, with what I'm sure was a winning smile on his face as he shut the door. The seven of us let out a sigh of relief.

"Good thinking, Kimmy." Jimin said.

"Did I have to lay next to a dead body though?" Jungkook asked, and I play shoved him.

"Now he thinks you're a ." Taehyung said, smiling down at me with a look on his face that made me want to stab him.

"I'm the only girl in an apartment full of ." I said, pulling myself to my feet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter