The Kidnapping, Continued

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tree branches. All I could see were tree branches. Looking up, they formed a web that stretched across the entire sky, tangling together and making it all one giant canopy. It was a clear sky tonight, and stars twinkled in the gaps between the branches. It was amazing that we could find this place in the middle of a city. It was prime real estate, what we were laying on. This land could've been made into apartment buildings or stores or a hospital, maybe, but no. It was kept as it was. A little Garden of Eden, kept safe from the clutches of urbanization. We weren't the only people here, Jimin and I. There weren't any little kids, but there were other couples out for an evening stroll, foreigners walking their dogs, a group of university students filming themselves doing random ... It seemed normal. Jimin and I fit in here. We could just be a couple dozing under the trees, talking.

Jimin was sitting against a humongous tree trunk, and I was resting my head in his lap. And we were just talking. About the stupidest . No Empires, no Jaesun-ssi or Kangdae-ssi or Grims. We were talking about the difference between an ascot and a scarf! Something neither of us cared the littlest bit about!

"They're not the same thing!" I insisted. "You can tie a scarf like an ascot, so therefore they have to be different!"

"A scarf is a piece of fabric you wrap around your neck." Jimin said. "So is an ascot, it's just fancier."

"By that definition, a tie is a scarf!"

"It very well could be!" Jimin said. "Tie and ascot are just different subcategories of scarves." He started twirling my hair around his finger absentmindedly.

"See, you're wrong though." I said, pointing up at the sky and tracing the braches with my finger.

"Oh, really?" Jimin asked. "How's that?"

"A scarf is a piece of fabric you wrap around your neck in the winter, when you're bundling up from the cold!" I said. "What you're saying is that a scarf is to an ascot the same way a hat is to a headdress!"

"Well, let's look it up." Jimin said, grabbing his phone. A few seconds later, he read the definition of scarf aloud. "'A scarf is a length or square of fabric worn around the neck or head.' So, by the official definition, both an ascot and a necktie are scarves." He stuck his tongue out at me. I brought my fist up under his chin and bopped his chin lightly.

"You're wrong!" I said. "That's connotation versus denotation. The literal definition of a scarf is broad, but when most people ask 'should I wear a scarf today?', they're asking if it's cold, not if the situation demands a tie!"

"I don't know..." Jimin said airily. "Literally, I'm right!"

I groaned. "Yes, Jimin, but words have meaning outside their literal definition! That's why when I say 'that girl over there has a nice rack', you know I'm not talking about where she keeps her spices!"

"What girl over where?" Jimin asked, looking around the park. I poked him in the ribs. "Yah!"

"Yah, yourself." I muttered.

"What?" Jimin asked, rubbing his side where I'd jabbed him. "What did I do?"

"Nothing."

"That means something." Jimin said.

"Good, you're not completely brain dead." I said, and, anticipating a counter attack, I brought my arms down to guard my own ribcage. Jimin's fingers met mine in his attempt to get me back, and he glared down at me, messing up my hair with his other hand.

"I'll get you back eventually." he promised, and I laughed.

"You'll have forgotten about this by tomorrow." I said. "I guarentee it."

"You guarentee wrong." Jimin said.

"That wasn't even gramatically correct!"

"Yeah, but you got my point, didn't you?" Jimin said, checking his phone again for the time. "We should probably get back."

I peered at his phone. "It's not even midnight!"

"I don't want our alibi falling asleep." Jimin explained. I rolled my eyes.

"You promised me an adventure!" I complained. "It's not like we have parents back home making sure we don't stay out too late."

"I don't know about that." Jimin said. "Rapmon and Jin are kinda like a married couple."

"Only one of them is awake though, and even then, Jin isn't watching the door waiting for us." I said.

"Assuming Jungkook's done his job." Jimin said in a tone of voice that made it quite clear that Jimin had very little faith in the maknae's abilities to cover for us. I don't know why he was so skeptical. The boys often covered for each other when they needed to go out late at night (or, more often, during the day wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter