The Reunion

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was very cross. I didn't like being woken up. Although, in this case, I wasn't sure what had woken me up: The water hitting my face, or the pounding on the bathroom door. I groaned as I moved my head. I was sore, and cramped. I looked down at my body. Not a spec of blood remained thanks to the deluge of lukewarm water washing over me. The loofah I had been reaching for lay on the floor of the shower near the drain. What had happened? Had I really managed to fall asleep, not only standing up, but while taking a shower?

With great effort, I stood. Dizziness struck my head in record time, and I clutched the shower curtain to steady myself. The pounding on the door increased.

"Ya!" I shouted. "I'm almost done, don't be so impatient!"

"She lives!" Jin said through the door, sounding relieved.

"Not for long if she doesn't open up." Taehyung said. I turned off the water and pushed back the curtain, stepping out of the tub onto a fluffy towel we used as a mat. I took my sweet time wrapping a towel around myself, just to piss of Taehyung, who continued to bang on the door. When I opened the bathroom door, I gave him a withering glare.

"Is there a reason you're interrupting me?" I asked.

Taehyung glared right back. "You were in there for ages!"

"Do you have any idea how long it takes to wash off four humans' worth of blood?"

"Kim..." Jin said, elbowing Taehyung. "We heard a thud. You were in there for a bit. Then you didn't respond when we knocked. We thought you hit your head or something."

I didn't want to say what had happened in front of Taehyung. He'd never let me hear the end of it. But I knew Jin, at least, was concerned about me and making sure I was alright. Unlike Taehyung, who was far more concerned with the lack of hot water than whether or not I was injured. And it wasn't like Taehyung mocking me was anything new. He's been like this since he learned what sarcasm was.

"I fell asleep." I said.

I got two different reactions with the same words.

"You what?" asked Jin, looking worried.

"You what?" Taehyung asked as he burst into loud laughter.

Rapmon threw something heavy at his wall. "Shut up! I'm trying to sleep!" he called. Jin glared at Taehyung as he guided me back to the kitchen. Taehyung was still laughing even as he shut the bathroom door so he could take a shower.

"Ignore him." Jin said. "You know how he is." I shrugged as I sat obediently in the chair Jin had pulled out for me. The sun was just beginning to creep up above the horizen. How long had I been asleep in the shower?

"I'll just add this to the list of things he'll never let me forget." I said. I wasn't uncomfortable, just sitting in the kitchen in a towel. Jin and I had a better relationship than Taehyung and I. And by that I mean, a psychologist wouldn't think we both needed therapy and better life through pharmacology after talking to us. It was easier to tell that Jin and I actually liked each other and enjoyed being in each other's company. Our relationship was comfortable and safe. We both sort of knew the boundaries of our relationship, and me being in a towel wasn't in any way pushing them.

"Taehyung's probably planning to whip all these stories out at your wedding." Jin said as he went around the kitchen, searching for the flashlight so he could check me for a concussion. "Where the hell - ?"

"In the drawer across from the oven." I reminded him. "Where they've been for the past decade."

Jin threw me a playful glare as he opened the correct drawer and pulled out a tiny flashlight. "What's today's date?" he asked me as he knelt in front of me.

"It's past midnight, so technically today's the twentieth." I said. "But since the sun's not up and I haven't slept, it might as well be the nineteenth." Jin shined the light in my eyes to see my pupils dialate. He held up four fingers.

"How many?"

"Four." I answered promptly. Jin smiled and stood up, just as Jungkook and Suga appeared in the doorway. Jin jumped, and in a flash a pocket knife was drawn and pointed at the two, until Jin realized who they were.

Jungkook was sniggering. "Not funny!" Jin snapped, but he was smiling as he put his pocket knife away.

"Yes it is!" Jungkook said cheekily. He and Jin would've happily continued, but Suga drew their attention.

"Why is our little Kimmy in a towel?" Suga asked, grabbing himself a gatorade from the fridge. Jungkook finally seemed to notice me, looking around Jin to get a look at me.

"And why are you in the kitchen?" Jungkook said. He would've sounded stern and disapproving if I didn't know him better. "Do you think I want to see this in the kitchen?"

"You wanna see this all the time, because I'm freaking gorgeous." I said with a teasing smile. "Jin was checking me over for a concussion."

"In a towel?" Jungkook asked, wagging a disapproving finger at his hyung. Jin smacked his hand away. Suga went over to stand next to my chair as Jin and Jungkook slapped and poked at each other, yelling 'Ya!' each time the other hit them. Suga handed me a blue gatorade and whispered, "Bets on who wins?"

"Jungkook." I answered. "It's always Jungkook. Jin'll stop when he starts worrying about his nails or something."

The play-fighting stopped suddenly as Rapmon threw a throw pillow at the two. "Do you guys have something against getting a good night's sleep?" he asked grumpily as he plopped down opposite me at the table. He looked positively miserable.

"Aww, poor baby!" I cooed at him. "We didn't mean to wake you up!"

"I did!" Jungkook said, raising his hand. Rapmon glared at him. Jin started making coffee. A couple moments of silence passed, with the only noise being the sound of Taehyung in the shower.

"Why are you in a towel though, Kimmy?" Jungkook asked.

I smiled in a self-depricating way. "I fell asleep in the shower."

"Really?" Suga asked. I nodded. "You must've been beat!"

"In more ways than one..." I said, rolling my eyes. "Taehyung let me get roughed up a little so he could play knight in shining armor."

"He always does that." Jin said as he put a steaming cup of coffee in front of Rapmon. Rapmon took a sip without thanking Jin, but Jin didn't seem to care as he put ramen in front of everyone.

"It's his bit." Suga said.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean he should be doing it!" I said.

"That's right, Kimmy can take care of herself!" Jungkook said as if he were talking to a toddler demanding that they tie their own shoes. I opened my mouth to quip back at him, but Rapmon spoke before I could.

"Who're we waiting on?" he asked.

"Taehyung to get out of the shower, and J-Hope and Jimin." Jin answered, slurping noodles into his mouth. "Soon as they get back, we'll call Kangdae-ssi to report. Kim and Taehyung got their hands on something pretty special." he pointed with his chopsticks to the brown box sitting on the counter.

"So that's it?" Suga asked, looking at the box incredulously. "That thing can tear open the Veil? How?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter