The Hangover

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could feel my blood as it moved through my head. I could feel it pulsing. It burned, it ached with every pulse. When I first woke up, I was half convinced my head had changed shape overnight. It felt swollen and I could've sworn my skull had collapsed in on itself on one side. At some point during the night, the guys had duct taped blankets over the windows, dulling their light. I was grateful. I think I might've died if I had to see the light directly. Disintegrated into a pile of dust and all that. I didn't move for what felt like hours after I woke up. I laid in bed, in the dead silence, staring at the blanket on the window and the patterns the light made through the fabric. I stayed there until the dryness in the back of my throat became intolerable.

My muscles clenched painfully and my stomach gave a threatening lurch as I sat up. My diziness and headache increased tenfold, and it was another couple of minutes before I could stand. I was still wearing the same clothes I'd been wearing when Kangdae-ssi appeared in our living room. They were sticky with sweat and smelled of alcohol. I should change them, I thought, but my clothes were still in bags in the living room. I shuffled to the door, noticing that Suga was still asleep in the bunk next to mine. Jin wasn't in his bunk. I remembered he still couldn't sleep, and I shuddered sympathetically, knowing that must've been hell for him.

The rest of the apartment was still and quiet. Every window had been covered with something, and the apartment was dim. I heard whispering from the living room, and saw the light of the television on the wall. I walked ever so slowly into the living room. Jin was laying on the couch, crying quietly. A bottle of beer, not soju, was in his hand, and the second bottle of soju lay finished on the ground in front of the couch. I saw someone asleep slumped in front of a bathroom door, just a shadow, and as I crept into the living room, someone was huddled in a corner, using a duffle bag as a pillow.

Jin and I made eye contact. His eyes glistened with tears as he lifted the bottle to his lips and took a sip.

"You shouldn't still be drinking." I croaked. I made my way to the refridgerator, and grabbed a bottle of water. I sat down, leaning against the fridge, and began to work my way through it. That dry feeling kept coming back, no matter how much I drank.

"I can't sleep." Jin reminded me, his voice trembling slightly. "This is a nice substitute."

"You're going to give yourself alcohol poisoning." I replied, tossing the finished bottle to the side and reaching into the fridge for another one.

Jin laughed bitterly, his eyes sliding back to the TV, and glazing over. I watched him, listening to the child's cartoon laugh hysterically, drinking my second bottle of water. I felt awake, if not better. My head was still hurting like the iest of es, but I felt somewhat alert. I grabbed a third bottle for the trip, and went back over to the bags. I couldn't find the one with my clothes - all the clothes looked the same in the darkness, and I wasn't finding any bras to prove the clothes were mine, so I just grabbed a random shirt and loose shorts from a random bag. I wasn't really in a state to care about whose clothes they were. Figuring Jin wouldn't mind, and the guy in the corner was still asleep, I pulled my shirt over my head and changed clothes. I'd have to shower later, since I doubted I was moving the one who'd fallen asleep in front of the bathroom door.

The clock on the wall said noon. My body said five am. I leaned against the couch, intending to change the channel to the news - we'd been pretty cut out of what's been happening lately - but, without me even being aware of it, I fell asleep again.

*****

It was the dryness in my throat that woke me up. I was still half asleep, so I sloshed water all over myself as I unscrewed the cap to the now warm water bottle still in my hand and tipped it back to take a sip. I didn't care, I was thirsty. But that bottle wasn't enough. I was still thirsty. I grabbed something behind me - a blanket, I think - and pulled myself up, but I was unsteady, and fell backwards onto the couch as my vision was clouded with staticy blobs and the floor beneath my feet did a dip. Bony legs greeted me instead of soft cushions and blankets.

Jin grunted as he attempted to sit up. It was hard for him since I'd just become a deadweight on his legs. "Did you stand up too fast, Kimmy-ah?" He asked in a dry attempt at humor. My head was too busy spinning for me to form a coherent response, but Jin didn't need one. He reached behind him to the little side table that was pasically a piece of plastic balanced on a twig and grabbed another water bottle, passing it back to me. When I made no move to grab it, - I was still waiting for my head to stop spinning, and any other thought or cohesive movement would have to wait until the dizziness passed - He grabbed my hand and helped me hold the bottle. The cold condensation covering the plastic helped wake me up, and eventually the static cleared from my eyes and the dizzy spell was gone.

"It's been a pretty quiet day." Jin whispered as I slowly unscrewed the cap and raised the bottle to my lips. "It's about three-thirty right now. Namjoon and Hoseok have been up, but they went back to their rooms pretty quick. Jimin - " he pointed to the shadow in the corner, " - has been fading in and out all day, but he hasn't tried to move since he laid down. I think he's worse off than you."

That managed to get half a laugh out of me - it sounded more like a cough and I nearly choked on the water I was drinking. I couldn't imagine anyone feeling worse than me right now. I finished that bottle of water and crushed the plastic in my fist. That felt good. Then I threw it at Jimin on the ground. He groaned.

"Hyung, don't make me kill you..." he mumbled.

"Sorry, Jimin." I said, before wincing. Talking hurt my head.

The bottle came flying back through the air, but it missed its mark horribly and hit the refridgerator.

"That's for making me think it was Jin hyung." Jimin mumbled, evidently not knowing (or caring) that he'd missed.

We sat in silence after that. Jin flung some of his blanket over me, and we sat on the couch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter