Official

Operating Theatre
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany sat with her fellow interns near the vending machine. They were having late lunch in the cafeteria. She heard they talked but her mind was not with them. How was Taeyeon doing? She had not called. The announcement should be out by now. She was worried. Did Taeyeon make it? Or did she… no. Taeyeon would not back out last minute. She was a nervous wreck but Tiffany refused to believe she’d give up that easy. Her ego would not let her. As much as Tiffany hated Taeyeon’s arrogance, it was the only thing she could count on.

 

“Tiff?” Yuri waved her hand.

 

“Y – yes?”

 

“Are you listening? You seem out of space.”

 

“Y – yeah, of course. I was just–” The next words died in . Taeyeon entered the area as she looked around searching for something – or someone.

 

Then their eyes met.

 

Taeyeon’s expression showed signs of relieve when she saw Tiffany at the end of the room. Unrushed, she made her way towards the intern’s table. The corner of her lips tugged upward into a small smile.

 

“How is it going?” Was the first question that rolled out from Tiffany’s mouth. She was also anxious. She couldn’t quite make it from Taeyeon’s body language. Did she pass, or did she screw up?

 

The chief of residents heaved a deep breath. “You better watch your back because I’m going to be your attending starting this year and I’m not going to go easy on you.”

 

“What?” Tiffany gasped. “So that means, you… you make it, right? You pass the exam?”

 

“With flying colors.” Taeyeon grinned.

 

“Oh my gosh! Congratulation!” Tiffany almost jumped to hug Taeyeon but the latter moved away instinctively.

 

“Wait! Tiffany, wait! I would like to receive a hug from you right now but I’ve been puking a lot and um…” She bit her upper lip uncomfortably. Afraid that her action would somehow offended Tiffany. She didn’t want the woman whom she had grown to care to feel rejected. “Can I have it later?”

 

“Ew!” Tiffany made a disgusted face. “Why are you here and not home to wash up?”

 

“I wanted to tell you first. You should be flattered.”

 

“I am flattered, chief.” Tiffany bowed a bit, teasing Taeyeon.

 

“This calls for celebration.” Taeyeon readjusted her backpack. “Tonight?”

 

“I’m on call. Rain check?” 

 

“Can’t you switch?” The shorter girl pouted.

 

“Can’t you be patience?” Tiffany folded her arms across her chest.

 

“Excuse me, don’t mean to interrupt,” A tanned intern that Taeyeon didn’t know her name simply because she didn’t care raised her hand. “But I can take your shift tonight, Tiff.”

 

“What’s your name?” Taeyeon pointed her index finger to the intern’s direction.

 

“It’s Kwon Yuri, Doctor Kim.”

 

“I’m gonna remember your name from now on. Thank you for your understanding, Kwon Yuri.” She nodded approvingly, giving Yuri a thumb up and turned her attention back to Tiffany. “So? What do you say?”

 

“You just can’t hold it, can you?” Tiffany spoke lowly, enough only for Taeyeon to hear.

 

“What are you talking about? I want to thank you properly for making me those complicated cases and analyzed it and argued with me all day. I’m taking you to dinner.”

 

Tiffany felt warm all over her body. It would not be their first meal in the evening together. They had dinner many – many times but Taeyeon never said it like this. It didn’t sound like she asked her for a casual meal. It meant something more.

 

“I would love to go to Italian restaurant and have that romantic candlelit dinner but I’m craving Korean. So we’re going to Korean restaurant.”

 

The intern didn’t try to be subtle to roll her eyes at the last remark. Just when she thought Taeyeon acted all sweet and stuff, she turned to be a jerk again in less than a minute.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter