Chapter 09

Picking up his fallen daisies

Mark tries to pull away, but only to be pulled back towards Jinyoung's face once more. This was surely making Mark nervous for being this close to Jinyoung again. Was this man getting bolder each time they met? “Mark?” Jinyoung calls out to the older male with his grip still in place. This left Mark no choice but to stare right back at Jinyoung. “I’m only asking this because I respect you, but can I start showing affections towards you around our friends more?”

Mark opens his mouth agape to speak, but nothing came out. Was he saying he wants to show their friends their close skinship? Dear god, he could already imagine Jackson’s suspicious gaze on him again if Jinyoung decides to do that.

“No,” Mark says all too quickly, “ Jinyoung.”Jackson’s already asking me constantly if we are dating. This will only persist him to think that we are together because we’re not.” Letting go of his grip on Mark’s neck Jinyoung goes to sit up while crossing his legs.

“Fine, but don’t get jealous when I start getting affectionate with our friends.” Jinyoung teases as Mark goes to grab the plastic bag filled with snacks. Rummaging through the bag he goes to grab a bag of chips before ripping it open.

“Why would I be jealous? There’s nothing to be jealous about we aren’t anything.” Plopping a chip into his mouth he goes to chew it. There was no way in hell he would get jealous.

 

“Why are you looking like you want to murder someone Mark hyung?” Yugyeom asks drawing Mark out of his trance. It was Thursday night and as usual, they were hanging out at the cafe as Day6 goes to perform for the night. The band was currently taking a break as background music was playing through the stereo speakers placed around the room.

“What are you talking about?” Mark denies while returning to staring at Jinyoung who was currently talking to Wonpil. But he was being awfully clingy to Wonpil today.

“Yes, you are you look like this.” Bambam cuts in making a face that was supposed to mirror Mark’s own. Ignoring both of the younger males he takes a sip of his drink to hopefully calm his nerves. He was not jealous of Jinyoung clinging onto Wonpil. Was he trying to make Mark jealous because of what he said? That he didn’t want them to show skinship or that he wouldn’t get jealous?

“I’m gonna go get another drink.” He gets up to walk towards the counter where Sunmi was currently serving the guests.

“Hey Mark,” Sunmi greets him as he goes to sit on an empty barstool “what can I get you?” Lifting his empty beer bottle Sunmi nods her head in understanding. Turning around to open the small mini fridge she grabs another beer bottle before opening the cap for him. Paying for his beer Mark continues to sit and sip his drink while watching Sunmi greet another customer that came by. It was like Mark wasn’t even aware that he was staring at Jinyoung from a distance again until Sunmi spoke near Mark’s ear. “So who are you giving daggers at? Jinyoung? Wonpil?” She asks while taking a sip of her water. Turning around to look at Sunmi he gave a small smile trying to think of ways to deny what he was doing.

“I wasn’t giving daggers at either of them.” He lied as Sunmi her head to the side before shifting her gaze behind Mark to look at Jinyoung and Wonpil.

“Right,” taking another sip of her water she motions her head to the two male again. “Honestly Jinyoung isn’t normally this clingy towards Wonpil. Do you think something is going on between those two?” Mark found himself clenching the beer bottle tighter as Sunmi quirks her eyebrow up while a playful smile appears on her face. “I’m kidding Mark, everybody knows Jinyoung is smitten with somebody else.”

“Everybody?” Mark echoes the word while Sunmi goes to wipe the counter with a wash cloth.

“Well, just Youngjae, Wonpil, and I.” She answers as Mark goes to sneak a peek at Jinyoung who was whispering something into Wonpil’s ear making him laugh.

“Jinyoung likes someone? Did he say who it was?” He was curious, did Jinyoung told them that he liked him? Or was it someone else he was in love with instead?

“Why are you so curious about who Jinyoung likes?” Leaning across the counter she gives Mark a mischievous look as Mark tries to back away from her.

“What’s going on here?” Two male voice coming from behind Mark pipes up. Turning around he found Jaebum and Young K looking between Mark and Sunmi suspiciously. Mark would have laughed at Jaebum and Young K for being so obvious that they were clearly jealous of what was going on between him and Sunmi. Although, nothing was clearly going on between him and her. But he was too busy on focusing with Jinyoung that he didn’t laugh. Sunmi leans back as she sighs glaring at Jaebum and Young K both.

“Nothing, I was just teasing Mark about something.” She answers as both gentlemen raise their eyebrow still not quite understanding what was going on. And that was his cue to leave the three of them alone. Making a lame excuse Mark got up and head back to his table where Yugyeom and Bambam were sitting when a hand on his shoulder stops him midway. Turning to the source it was Jinyoung who had a grin on his face.

“You know you’re making it really obvious that you’re clearly jealous.” He says as Mark shook his hand away on his shoulder.

“I am not.” He denied the third time this night. His patience was beginning to run thin. If he had to denied being jealous for the fourth time that night he might lash out. Jinyoung crosses his arm over his chest while smiling at Mark smugly.

“Not from the way you’re burning holes at me and Wonpil every second you get.” It could have been the way Jinyoung and then just simply walked away that had Mark going after him. He kind of panicked by how Jinyoung seemed to be acting so indifferent. How easily he could walk away from Mark liked that scared him. For a second, he thought of how easily Jinyoung could walk away from his life and it scared him. He hadn’t realized how much Jinyoung presence had mold such an important meaning in his life. It wasn’t the shoulder that Mark have grabbed Jinyoung onto, but by his loose clothing he was wearing.

“I-nevermind, I’m going out to get some air.” Ignoring Jinyoung’s curious gaze he headed for the door that will bring him outside. Once he steps out the chilly night air felt so refreshing on his skin. Walking a few steps down the street away from the cafe he leans against a lamp post as people walk by him. The fresh air helped clear his mind a little bit. Staring down at the pavement it got him thinking about how jealous he was exactly acting. Yugyeom, Bambam, Sunmi, and for Christ's sake even Jinyoung himself have pointed it out.

“Mark,” the voice that was all too familiar to Mark calls out to him. A pair of shoes made his way into his peripheral view. “Mark hyung are you okay?” Jinyoung addresses him formally, Mark noticed he only calls him this when he wanted to talk to Mark more as a friend and he hated that.

“Just call me Mark and drop the formality.”

“What?” Looking up to talk to him face to face Jinyoung had his hand in the pocket of his pants.

“I hate it when you call me ‘Mark hyung’, it makes me feel like...like we’re not close.” Jinyoung was clearly confused as he scratches his head. “You only address me ‘Mark hyung’ when you want to talk to me more as a friend.” He tries to help explain what he meant.

“I don’t quite...are you saying that you don’t want to be just friends.” Letting out a sigh of defeat he shuts his eyes trying to clear out any thoughts in his head. What was he trying to get at really? He doesn’t even know himself.

“I want to be friends with you and yet the other half wants to be--I don’t know Jinyoung.” He says exasperated, he was secretly hoping Jinyoung wouldn’t ask any further questions. “I just need some fresh air.” He could make out Jinyoung’s shoe brushing against the pavement as he took a step closer to him.

“Tell me honestly what’s bothering you.” Jinyoung asks in a soft tone of voice as Mark goes to open his eyes to stare at the pair of brown eyes that always seem to have a gleam in them when he looks at him.

“I--I didn’t like seeing you being so close to Wonpil.” Mark found himself telling Jinyoung honestly as the younger male goes to nod his head slowly trying to suppress a smile from forming on his face, but was failing miserably as Mark noticed.

“And why is that?” Sighing in defeat he goes to shut his eyes once more before burying his face in the palm of his hand avoiding to look at Jinyoung’s face which he knew perfectly well he would have a smug look on his face as Mark goes to tell him he was jealous.

“I was jealous okay? I said that I wouldn’t be jealous and I was.” As Mark confessed he felt Jinyoung’s strong arms wrapping around him pulling him in towards his chest.

“You have no idea how happy that makes me feel hearing you say that.” Jinyoung says placing his head on top of Mark’s since he was a few inches taller than him. “I promise I won’t be as close to Wonpil physically anymore.”

“Not just Wonpil, but everybody else.” Mark orders childishly as Jinyoung chuckles obeying to Mark’s order.

“Okay, but I need to be affectionate to at least one of our friends. You know how affectionate I am.” Pushing away from Jinyoung’s chest to look up at the younger his cheeks were beginning to flush a shade of pink as Mark lost all of his pride to say what he was about to say next.

“Then be affectionate towards me. I mean like not too affectionate, but affectionate nonetheless.” He explains as Jinyoung fell into a fit of laughter to see this new side of Mark. When they got back inside the cafe Day6 was already playing their second to last song. Mark made his way back to the table where Yugyeom and Bambam were sitting. Meanwhile, Jinyoung follows along to sit with them. Looking around the place he spotted Jackson among the crowd who was with Jaebum bobbing along to the music. Slowly and discreetly Mark goes to find Jinyoung’s hand in his to hold under the table. Jinyoung goes to glance at Mark from the sudden bold moves as Mark gave a shy smile before looking away to converse with Yugyeom and Bambam. Jinyoung couldn’t help but feel a surge of happiness, Mark may not see that he was the one initiating something for the first time. But the first could go a long way and he was definitely looking forward to that.

When Mark wasn’t holding Jinyoung’s hand throughout the rest of the night, Jinyoung notices the man found another way to hold on to him. His loose clothing to be precise. He would feel Mark holding onto the end of his shirt or sleeves. It was quite cute to Jinyoung and Wonpil had to discreetly for it whenever Mark wasn’t around or looking. Give props to his best friend for noticing of course. But he wasn't about to let Mark know that he wasn't being that discreet. He liked this new cute and jealous side of him. As most of their friends began packing up and leaving the cafe Jinyoung felt a pat on his shoulder. Turning around it was Mark who was fidgeting around nervously. He was shifting his weight from foot to foot.

“What is it, Mark?” Jinyoung asks while putting on his light jacket.

“I was wondering if you wanted me to take the bus home with you? I mean just right until you get off your bus stop…” Mark trails off looking at the ground to avoid looking at him. It was a sweet and nice gesture that had Jinyoung smiling sweetly at him.

“That’s very nice Mark, but actually Wonpil is taking the bus home back to my apartment with me tonight. You can go ride in Jackson’s car like you guys had originally planned.” As he turns down Mark’s offer he notices the slight pout forming on Mark’s face. “You know you’re making it really obvious that you’re smitten with me.” Jinyoung teases under his breath.

“Shut up,” Mark mutters under his breath as he crosses his arm over his chest, “I was just being nice. Jackson’s waiting for me anyways.”

“Good night Mark.” Jinyoung calls after him as he watches Mark give a wave of goodbye for Jackson wraps his arm around his shoulder pulling him in for a conversation.

It was late into the night as Mark rolls around in his bed having been dropped off by Jackson hours ago. Jinyoung was driving him insane. Jinyoung had completely changed him, he was never fawning over a guy. Heck, he never even let Jackson get all cuddly with him even as friends. But now he was craving for Jinyoung’s attention and his touch every second he sees him.

“What the hell has gotten into me? I’m never jealous.” Mark groans into his hands while kicking his foots in the air under his blanket. He goes to look at his clock at the nightstand groaning when it already four in the morning. He was definitely not getting any sleep soon. Should he try drinking some warm milk to help him sleep? Watch some television shows perhaps? Getting out of bed and heading down the hall to his kitchen he goes to pour himself a glass of water. Gulping the water down his system he thought about the younger male because that’s all he’s been doing often lately. He was definitely teasing Mark a lot more. Oh, how he wishes he could wipe that smug look and smirk off his face every time he does. He wants to catch this guy off his guard like how he always does with him. But how? A kiss? Would that do?

Touching his own lips he thought of the idea. How would Jinyoung’s lip feel against his? It’ll probably be soft with those plump lips he has and it almost always never looks chapped. He chuckles under his breath as he stood in the middle of his kitchen at four in the morning thinking about Jinyoung who was probably sleeping. Wonpil was at his apartment to and the thought of him crashing at his best friend house was okay with him. But imagining them sharing the same bed made him scrunch up his face and pout. Now that was the thought he didn’t want to imagine and think about further.

“I like this guy too much don’t I?” He asks to no one particular as he shook his head in disbelief. Wow, Mark Tuan, the guy who didn’t believe in love and who had made up his mind to never date was in love. In love with a man who had the patience to wait for him even though he doesn’t know if Mark would ever want to take a step into a relationship with him. Was he ready now though? The thought of dating and loving someone still scares him.

Getting back in bed he could feel his eyelids drooping, feeling his mind and body succumbing to sleep. When Mark opens his eyes again the sun was already high up in the sky as birds chirp through his window. It was already sometime in the afternoon when Mark finally woke up. Yawning he scratches his neck before unplugging his phone from the charger to check his notification. No one really messaged him anything important. Just some social media notification of Yugyeom uploading a new dance video on his Instagram or Jae posting tweets on his Twitter. Setting aside his phone he goes to get freshen up before deciding to go out and grab some brunch. He was simply wearing a plain white t-shirt and blue skinny jeans and white tennis shoes. Grabbing his light black hoodie off the hanger by his door he pockets his set of key, phone, and wallet in his jeans before locking his apartment door.

The walk to this nearby sandwich shop didn’t take long, but the wait for his order took longer than usual. It was lunch time and everybody was eager for something to eat before continuing on with their day. When Mark finally got his sandwich and small drink he found a table under a tree. Taking a bite of his sandwich he savored the taste before taking a sip of his drink. Taking out his phone he sighs as he waited for any message from Jinyoung. Ever since last night, he had heard nothing from him.

Maybe he’s busy with work.

But he didn’t tell him he had work today from the last time Mark remembered asking. Was he too busy to send a text message to him because he was hanging out with Wonpil?

Don’t be jealous, they’re simply best friend like how your best friend with Jackson.

Mark tries to calm himself as he took another bite of his sandwich. Waiting for a few more minutes he goes to unlock his phone before quickly typing up a message and sending it to Jinyoung before he could regret it. Moments later he got a reply back.

[ What number is your apartment? 13:04 ]

[ Why do you ask? 13:06 ]

Typing a quick reply he hurries himself to finish his sandwich before going back in line to buy another one.

[ Because I’m coming over. 13:07 ]

 

 


I might consider the next chapter to be the last, but I'm not to sure. 

Sorry for any grammatical errors and as always your thoughts and comments are always welcome! (: