Chapter 06

Picking up his fallen daisies

It wasn't just Wednesday that Mark hung out with Jinyoung the following week. They hung out again on Thursday with the rest of their friends as well. Mark found himself constantly hanging out with Jinyoung whenever the younger one asked. Jackson even jokingly pointed out that it almost feels like they're dating. Almost. But Mark also found himself catching himself doing things that he thought he never would be doing. Like staring at Jinyoung whenever he wasn't looking, making mental notes of how the younger male laughs and what it sounded like, or how Jinyoung will hold his hand in his because he was just that affectionate.

Of course, he also knew that Jinyoung notices him looking or pulling his hand away from his grasps when it lasted for too long. Although he never questioned Mark’s actions. He was grateful for that really because he wouldn't have an answer to his actions as of now. For now, Mark was watching Jinyoung talking to Jackson about the movie trailers being shown on the big screen whilst the three of them waited for the movie they came to see to play.

Before, when they got there Jackson had expressed sitting beside Jinyoung and Mark. That meant Jackson was to sit in the middle while Jinyoung to Jackson's right side and Mark on his left.

“Mark I’m going to get us some popcorn before the movie starts.” Jackson pats Mark by the shoulder while getting up from his seat.

“I told you to buy them before we came here.” Mark scolds as Jackson brushes it off waving him off as he made his way down the steps.

“Jackson's quite a character.” Jinyoung pipes up looking at Mark with a silly grin.

“Yeah, I can't believe we’ve been friends since high school.” Mark replies back as an image of a sixteen-year-old Jackson wearing a SnapBack flashes through his mind. “He has a good soul though.”

Jinyoung nods his head in agreement with Mark’s word when the theatre lights begin dimming down and the movie begins rolling. Mark sighs under his breath, “He always misses the opening of the movie. You’ll think he’ll learn by now.”

He hears Jinyoung chuckling quietly a seat away from him when the door from the room swings openly slightly. With the light from the outside shining in Mark could make out Jackson's silhouette holding a medium size bucket of popcorn. As he made his way back to his seat he could hear the audience sitting in the same row as they murmur their displeasure as Jackson apologized. Plopping himself back down at his seat he displayed a wide goofy grin at Mark. “Made it on time as always.”

“You missed two minutes of the opening.” He whispers back as he watches Jackson pops popcorn in his mouth.

“I’m not like you where I have to watch the whole movie without missing a beat.” Jackson whispers back rolling his eyes before turning the other way from Mark to converse with Jinyoung. “Popcorn Jinyoung?” Mark hears Jackson whisper as Jinyoung detaches his gaze from the screen for a second before shaking his head and returning his attention back to the screen. “Wow, I’m sitting beside another Mark.” Mark doesn't think Jinyoung heard him as the younger male continues to watch the film without batting an eye. The rest of the movie was Jackson eating popcorn beside Mark while making small comments. Meanwhile, Jinyoung was just as absorbed in the film like before. When the three of them left the theatre Jackson tossed his now empty popcorn bucket to the garbage before stretching his body. “Well, I’m going to get out of your hair now guys. Don’t want to spoil the date any further.”

Mark groans while slapping his forehead with his hand. He knew his friend was going to say something unnecessary anytime sooner. “For the hundredth time Jacks, we are not dating.”

“Whatever,” Jackson replies back dryly not believing him. Turning his attention to Jinyoung he pats him on the shoulder with a grin, “It was nice hanging out with you Jinyoung. Unfortunately, I have other plans with my roommates.”

“Where are you guys hanging out?” Jinyoung interested asks as they made their way to the parking lot.

“It’s a Saturday night so we’re having a game night at our apartment.” Jackson says proudly before grabbing out his car keys in his pants pocket. Clicking the button to unlock his car door he opens the driver side before putting his arm on top of the door. “You guys enjoy the rest of the night together.” Stepping into his car and slamming the car behind him, Mark watches as Jackson waves goodbye to Jinyoung and him before pulling out of the parking lot. Mark and Jinyoung watched Jackson leave for a little while longer before walking towards Mark car. Unlocking the car just like Jackson moments earlier the both of them got in Mark’s car shutting the door behind them, Jinyoung made himself comfortable while buckling himself up in his seat.

“So,” Jinyoung draws out the word before looking to the side to where Mark was, “what do you want to do next?” Mark read the time in the car, it was just ten at night which was considered late if it was a weekday. But it was a Saturday night no one really slept until past midnight on a Saturday.

“Do you want to go for a walk at Cheonggyecheon?” Mark asks as Jinyoung raises an eyebrow up looking at Mark.

“As in Cheonggyecheon stream?” He asks to clarify Mark’s previous question. He nods his head as Jinyoung gives a firm nod of his head confirming their destination, Mark turns his key slot starting his car and before he was pulling onto the street towards Cheonggyecheon stream. They ended up parking somewhere off the corner of a street where a fried chicken restaurant was. But walking to the place didn’t take that long as the area seems to had quiet down as night slowly creeps up. As they descended the stairs to the main path of where the stream was running, Mark took note of the waterfall to his right and the lights down the path. There wasn’t a lot of people walking along the path as well down here. The both of them walked in silence taking in the lights and the calming sound of the water running along the stream. To come across a stepping stone path that makes its way all across the other side of the stream where one could walk as well. Mark decided to ignore it and just continue walking down the path they were at already. But Jinyoung had thought otherwise and headed towards the stepping stone. Right before he took a step on one of the stepping stone Mark stopped him by placing his hand on his shoulder.

With a concerned look on his face, “The stone gets more slippery at night Jinyoung.” Mark warns as Jinyoung grins back at him as always.

“I’ll be extra careful don’t worry Mark.” Pulling his hand away from his shoulder he watched Jinyoung makes his way across safely before the younger male was motioning to him to cross over as well. He hesitated, looking towards the main path that was safe before looking back at Jinyoung who was waiting for him on the other side. Taking a breath Mark slowly guided his right foot on the first stepping stone before guiding his left foot towards the second stepping stone. Ever so slowly he made his way across the stream being cautious of not slipping off. When he was at the end of the stepping stone he was to put his left foot forward to the steady ground when he felt his right foot slipping on the stepping stone. He was about to lose his balance and fall when a strong hand gripped his shoulders steadying him back in place.

“Come on,” Jinyoung pulling Mark forward so he’ll be on the steady ground once more. “now that wasn’t so hard was it?” Mark push past Jinyoung while the younger laughs behind him.

“Easy for you to say, I almost slipped.”

“But you didn’t because I caught you. I’ll always catch you.” Mark took notice of Jinyoung’s last word clearing his throat awkwardly. Turning around he points down the direction they came from.

“We should probably head back it’s getting pretty late.” And without waiting for a reply from Jinyoung he walks past him. The way back to the car was also quiet, but this time there was like a black cloud hanging above the both of them. Driving back to Jinyoung's apartment didn't get any better. As Mark kept his eyes on the road Jinyoung set to play with the radio tuner before looking out the window. It seemed throughout the car ride the black cloud hanging above the both of the heads had turned into an elephant in the car. Mark knew the weeks of tension between the two of them was building up and sooner or the later inevitable to put out there. But he was afraid to even ask what these strange feelings he’s been having toward Jinyoung was. It certainly can’t be that topic that he was so afraid of. He managed to drive the both of them safely to Jinyoung’s apartment with all these thoughts swimming around his head. It was as if everything slowed down, the way Jinyoung unbuckled his seatbelt or the way how he turned to his side to face Mark.

“Mark a person can wait for only that long when they don’t receive the same reciprocated gestures each time.”

No, not this, anything but this.

Staring down at his lap he grips his knee with his hands avoiding Jinyoung’s gaze. “I don’t know what you are talking about.” Feigning obliviousness he heard Jinyoung sigh as the corner of his eye he caught Jinyoung running his fingers through his hair.

“If you don’t want to address the elephant in this car then I will. You’ve been confusing me, Mark. I mean I get that I can act affectionate to my friends and you are my friend. But I feel more than that with you and I want to be more than that. I sometimes feel like you feel the same as well.”

Clenching his grasps on his knee tighter he grits his teeth, “See that’s where you’re wrong Jinyoung. I don’t feel the same way about you.”

I don’t want to feel the same way about you.

He could sense Jinyoung gaze on him as the both of them just sat there in Mark’s car in silence. The song from the radio turned playing softly in the background. The next words out of Jinyoung’s mouth came out with clenching anger. “You don’t mean that.”

“Jinyoung, just get out of my car.” Mark’s instructs as Jinyoung open his mouth to say something, “Just get out!” Closing his mouth he goes to open the passenger door before exiting out of his seat.

With his hand on the car door handle, Jinyoung goes to look back at Mark who was now staring straight ahead avoiding his gaze still. “I’ll see you soon.”

“I don’t think so Jinyoung, at least not for a long while.”

Right when Jinyoung goes to close the passenger door without another word Mark drove off down the road. When he got home instead of turning the lights he embraced the darkness heading towards his bedroom. Laying himself down on his bed he was staring into the darkness. He was upset and angry, angry at Jinyoung for claiming his interest in him when he liked their friendship. Now with that simple confession, it broke down the bridge they built these past few weeks as friends.

Why?

He asked himself over and over again in his head as his anger built up each time. Rolling around in bed he couldn’t sleep. How could he sleep after all this? He was too angry to even think about sleeping. Should he text Jackson about this, but would he make a big deal and about this? Groaning into his pillow he pulls out his phone to find no text message from Jinyoung.

Of course, he wouldn’t text you. You basically told him you don’t want to talk to him.

Unlocking his phone he goes to his book of contacts calling the one person he knows that wouldn’t question his motive of calling way past midnight.

“Hello?” A groggy voice says through the other line.

“Did I wake you?” Mark asks hearing some shuffling sound as if the other male turned to his other side of the bed.

“No, I was just daydreaming,” Jaebum says sarcastically as Mark flips back on his back to stare at the darkness. “Mark?” Jaebum calls out not receiving an answer or comment back.

“Yeah?”

“Is everything alright? I mean it’s past midnight, but I understand if you want somebody to talk to at this time.”

“Nothing, everything is fine Jaebum.” Silence as Jaebum weighed out Mark’s word before concluding to not believe him. “I’m fine really. I just need someone to talk to since I can’t sleep.”

“What about Jackson?”

“His voice can be too loud.” That earns a chuckle from Jaebum in agreement.

“I know what you mean and when you manage to fall asleep he’ll try to wake you up to keep talking with him.” Mark laughs softly remembering all too clearly the multiple times that that had happened. “Now answer me honestly Mark, are you calling because of Jinyoung?” Mark could feel his blood run cold as he went rigid in bed.

“What-what makes you think that?” He stutters miserably whilst Jaebum hums.

“You’ve been hanging out with him a lot these past few weeks. Did something happen Mark?” Mark thought about answering Jaebum. If he was willing to share his thoughts with him. “Mark? You still there?” Jaebum calls out to him again when he didn't answer him for awhile.

“I’m angry Jaebum.” He answers feeling his blood boil a bit recalling the course of events that happen tonight.

“What did he do exactly?”
“He-he confessed Jaebum. Like, confessed to me.”

“Why are you angry exactly?” Jaebum asks calmly not quite understanding Mark’s anger.

“I’m angry and upset he had to go and ruin the friendship we built. And you know it’s hard for me to make friends.” Jaebum took in his words listening quietly as Mark ranted on and on when he finally stopped talking he was taken aback by his friend’s words because he wasn’t expecting this.

“It seems like to me you’re not angry at Jinyoung for ruining the friendship you guys had built.”

“What do you mean Jaebum? Of course, I am angry, I can feel my blood boiling inside me.” Mark comments with a bit of anger as his voice rises.

“I mean you are angry Mark, but you’re not angry at Jinyoung. You’re angry at yourself.” Silence as Jaebum’s words seem to had stunned him speechless because what he said didn’t anger him further. Instead, it seemed to had click something in his head because he felt his anger seeping out of him. Jaebum wasn’t wrong but he wasn’t sure why quite yet. Why was he angry at himself? “Mark?” Jaebum calls out to him the third time that night.

“I gotta go Jaebum.” Without waiting for his friend to answer he ends the call before returning to staring at the darkness in his room.

Why exactly am  I angry at myself?

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors and inaccurate depiction of Seoul. Comments are welcome. (: