Chapter 11

Picking up his fallen daisies

It had been weeks since Mark last saw or heard from Jinyoung. The man was clearly avoiding Mark at all cost and he doesn’t blame him. After those hurtful words he himself would want to avoid the person who said it. Everyone in the group circle could sense something went wrong between Jinyoung and him. Obviously, Jinyoung was not attending any social event involving Mark. But it didn't help that Mark was acting depressed because of this. Of course, he suspects that Jinyoung must have told Wonpil what happened judging by the silent treatment and glare he sends towards him. But he knew he deserves this. He brought all of this upon himself.

Jackson has tried to cheer him up a couple of days after Mark had confessed to him what happened. He felt lost and detach from earth. He’ll go to work and come back home and wallow in his misery all by himself like before. Even Bambam and Yugyeom had dropped by his apartment to try and cheer him up with no success. Youngjae had also dragged Mark out of his apartment to go to the dog park with his dog CoCo. Hoping that a new scenery and a bunch of adorable dogs would help. All Mark ended up doing was sitting at the bench scaring all the dogs away the entire time. And so when Young K and Jae showed up to his apartment on a Friday night he rolled his eyes at the unexpected visitors.

“Did Jackson not give away my apartment address to everyone?” He asks walking back to his couch as Young K and Jae stepped inside his apartment. Plopping himself back down on the couch he looks at his two visitors. “So what brings you guys here?”

“Look, we’re not gonna lie like that we don't know what's going on between you and Jinyoung. But we just want to help you get out of this state of depression.” Jae goes to say grabbing a bag of open chips off Mark’s coffee table not before Young K glares at him for doing so. “What? I'm hungry.” Jae defends before stuffing his mouth with potato chips. Sighing out of defeat Young K turns toward Mark.

“We just thought you might need some air instead of staying in your apartment all the time.”

“I already got enough fresh air from the last time Youngjae took me out.” Mark answers before shifting his focus back to his television.

“But this time it's different because will be at a bar playing pool.” Jae announces while putting another chip in his mouth. “Besides Wonpil will be there as well.”

“That gives me all the more reason to not go. The guy hates me for probably hurting his best friend.”

“He might have wanted to murder you at some point. But he doesn't hate you assure you.” Young K tries to explain but it doesn't clearly make sense.

“I don't know.” Mark goes to consider the invitation, should he go out with them really?

“Mark, there’s alcohol for you to drown your sorrow in.” Jae pipes up after Mark had kept quiet for a few minutes deep in his own thought. Needless to say, Mark liked the thought of drowning his sorrow with alcohol.

The three of them were seated at the corner as they drank their beer. Mark wasn't in the mood of talking so he was grateful for Young K and Jae talking amongst themselves. Eventually, Mark would make small comments within the conversation and as they talked curiosity got the better of him.

“Young K you like Sunmi right?” The question must have caught him off guard as he choked on his beer. Meanwhile, Jae laughs patting his friend’s back. Watching as Young K wipes his mouth with the back of his hand he doesn't deny it but instead answering with a shy yes. “But you also know that Jaebum likes her too right?”

“I’m well aware.”

“Doesn’t that bother you at all?” He watches as Young K leans forward, resting his arms on the table before clasping his hands together. The man must be gathering his thoughts, twirling his thumbs together as Jae and Mark waited for his response.

“Of course, but in the end, it comes down to Sunmi to choose who she likes to be with the most. Heck, if she likes either one of us that way at all.” Jae wraps his arm around his friend’s shoulder comforting him after hearing his friend’s words.

“I’m Jaebum’s long time friend, but you know Sunmi longer. Don’t you think you’ll have a higher chance of being picked instead?”

“Time is not the advantage here. When it comes to love it’s how a person feelstowards one another. Even if I knew her longer if I don’t give her the feelings Jaebum does she wouldn’t pick me.” Young K explains until the three of them spot Wonpil coming to their table. Right when Wonpil was close enough to spot them his face went from happy to an expressionless face.

Great, the guy already wants to leave.

As Jae waves Wonpil over to their table he scooted his chair and himself over to make room for Wonpil who would be sitting beside him and Young K. Mark was glad for this arrangement because he wouldn’t know how to act if Wonpil sat next to him. One thing he did know was that it was going to be awkward, but like it wasn’t awkward already. Jae and Young K did try getting Mark and Wonpil to converse with them, but they only got a few words out the both of them. Giving up on those two deciding that it was a lost case, the both of them left Mark and Wonpil at the table to go play some pool. The both of them sat in silence drinking their drinks as the sound of billiard balls hitting against each other and other conversations resonated throughout the place.

This was indeed awkward for Mark as he tried to make a coherent sentence to say to Wonpil. He opens his mouth to say something before closing it again. What exactly could he say to make the situation better? Should he apologize to him for causing so much pain to his best friend? “Wonpil,” he calls out testing the water between them before saying anything further. All he received was a glance of acknowledgment before he continues to watch his friends play pool. “I’m sorry for everything.”

“What are you exactly sorry for? There’s nothing to be sorry about.” He says not even sparing a glance at Mark. That might have stung Mark a bit but he wouldn’t allow that to show. “Jinyoung was a fool and I told him from day one he’ll only get hurt.” Mark could only clench his knees from hearing how cold Wonpil was acting. But it angered him a bit from hearing Jinyoung’s best friend calling the one he loves a fool.

“I--I didn’t mean the words I said to him. I don’t know why I said it that day.”

Finally, as if he had had enough of Mark does Wonpil glares at him straight in the eye. “You didn’t mean those words? I think both of us damn well knew that was how you were feeling.” He mutters under his breath in anger while leaning across the table towards Mark trying not to shout to attract unwanted attentions.

“It was how I was feeling at the start but Jinyoung changed all of that.” As Mark watches Wonpil sit back in his chair he could tell Wonpil was judging him.

“What do you mean?” Sighing Mark knew it was time to confront his fear and worries out in the open. He needed Wonpil to know he actually cares for Jinyoung. A lot.

“I love him Wonpil. I didn’t know it at first, I mean--I liked him a lot in order to give him a chance to get close to me. I guess I was so afraid of love all my life I never gave falling in love with someone a chance. And because of that, I’m not completely up to pace with my own feelings. I figured I like Jinyoung a bit too late and I figured out I love him too late as well.” It was weird, hearing himself say it out loud that he loves Jinyoung for the second time made it more real. That Mark Tuan wasn’t afraid to love someone anymore. As long as that someone was Jinyoung.

“Are you going to tell him?” Was the question Wonpil asked after Mark had confessed his love to Jinyoung.

“He probably hates me for an eternity. Besides, I think it’s a little too late.” Looking at his own glass of beer, Mark could feel Wonpil staring him down sternly.

“You don’t know that. Why are you assuming the worst when you are terrified of the outcome? Are you waiting for Jinyoung hoping he’ll come to you instead like every other time? Because this time it’s not going to happen. You’re gonna have to get up from your spot and do it yourself .”

Mark could only keep quiet as he let the words sink in his head. He was right. Wonpil was completely right. He can’t always expect Jinyoung to come to him and all he had to do was run into his arms. No, Mark would have to prove himself to Jinyoung. That he was ready to face love and give love back. “You’re right, I do have to tell him myself this time.”

“Good, you better do it soon or he might not be around to hear it.”

“What do you mean?”  

“Jinyoung was offered a job somewhere outside of Seoul a few weeks back. Since things were going so well with you and him he declined it, but he’s been considering taking that offer now.” Getting up from his seat abruptly the news had set a new set of panic inside Mark’s system. He can’t leave like this. As Jackson had told him before, everyone needed a chance to confess their love even if it does not end well.

‘He’ll have no regrets after because he at least tried for a chance to be with her.’

He needed that no regret chance and it was now or never. He had to go to Jinyoung.

“I gotta go.” In a hurry, he grabs his hoodie off his chair not even leaving a chance for Wonpil to say something. He forgot to bid farewell to Young K and Jae who was walking back to their table with confusion as they watch Mark leave abruptly.

 

‘This is Jinyoung, sorry that I can’t come to the phone right now. You can leave a message right after this-’

. Jinyoung was not answering his phone and ringing his doorbell for the tenth time was not wasn’t working either. Either Jinyoung clearly doesn’t want to talk to Mark or he wasn’t at his apartment. But that sets another panic. What if Jinyoung already took the job offer and had already packed his apartment? It could happen after the few weeks they hadn’t seen or talk to each other. Dialing his phone cell phone number it went straight to voicemail. Groaning out of frustration he stuffs his phone back inside his pocket before leaning his back against Jinyoung’s front door. He shouldn’t continue to ring or bang the front door before the residence on this floor come out and complain. Sliding down to sit on the floor he rubs his eyes with the palm of his hands.

Don’t you dare cry.

He could feel his eyes stinging from trying to hold back his tears. His throat wasn’t doing any better as he tried to fight himself from strangling out a cry.

“Mark?” Looking up quickly he hadn’t even heard the elevator door open or the foot steps coming down from the hallway. There Park Jinyoung was standing a few feet away from Mark with curious eyes. He was holding a plastic bag in one hand while his set of house keys in the other. “What are you doing here?”

The sight of Jinyoung standing before him has him jumping up and within seconds he was in front of Jinyoung wrapping his arms around him pulling him in for a hug. He was just so glad he was here right in front of him. “Mark?” Jinyoung calls out again unsure of what to make of this scene. “Are you crying?” Mark could only voice out a cry that was supposed to represent the sound of joy as tears slid down his face.

“I thought you left.” Mark managed to say as he buried his face into the crook of Jinyoung’s neck.

“Left going to where exactly? I just went to the gas station to get some snacks.” Pulling away slightly Mark raise an eyebrow up in question as his eyes were red from crying. Sniffling he looks down at Jinyoung’s hand that was currently holding onto a plastic bag that bears packets of ramen and candies.

“Wonpil said your work offered you a job somewhere outside of Seoul and you were planning on taking it.” It was Jinyoung’s turn to raise his eyes up in question before he broke out in a fit of laughter.

“Oh my god I can’t believe Wonpil tricked you into believing I was leaving.”

“What--what do you mean? Wonpil lied that you received a job offer somewhere else?” Mark asks shocked as Jinyoung double over in laughter.

“Yeah, I mean if I did receive such an offer I think I would have taken it by now.”

“You can’t!” Mark exclaims as Jinyoung wipes the tears from his eyes before looking at Mark. “I mean,” biting his lips he wasn’t sure what to say now that Jinyoung was standing right in front of him.

“What brings you here Mark?” Jinyoung asks finally wondering why Mark was in front of his apartment door from the beginning.

“I--I just wanted to apologize...for everything.”

“Oh, well it’s okay Mark. I get it, I was too upfront and expected too much from you. I apologize for everything as well. We can stay as friends like I said before. I’ll see you around alright?” Like an idiot, he could only keep quiet as he watched Jinyoung give him a small smile before stepping around Mark to get to his apartment. Once the door closed shut once again Mark close his eyes shut in frustration. Why couldn’t he confess to Jinyoung like he originally wanted? He only made the situation worse because now Jinyoung thinks he doesn’t want to be with him.

Come on Mark you can do this. Just go knock on his door…

Standing back in front of Jinyoung’s apartment door he gave a few hard knocks. A few seconds later Jinyoung opens the door in confusion.

“Just hear me out okay Jinyoung? It’ll only take a few minutes of your time and after I’m done I’ll let you decide what you want us to be.” Staring at Mark for a few seconds he gave a nod of his head as Mark lets out a nervous breath he was holding.

“At a very young age, I knew there’s no such thing as a ‘forever’ in this world. Forever young? Forever love? That’s all bull . But then you came into my life Park Jinyoung and made me feel things I never thought I would be able to feel with anyone. You flipped my world upside down. You helped me experience what falling in love was like and you help me experience what being in love is like. So even though I still know there’s no such thing as a ‘forever’ in this world, with you, I’m willing to create a ‘forever’. I’m willing to at least try because I’m in love with you Park Jinyoung.” By the time he was done with his speech Jinyoung was already spilling tears from his eyes. “So will you still have me?”

“Shut up and just kiss me.” And so without any hesitation on Mark’s part, he leans forward while pulling Jinyoung into his arm to plant a kiss on his lips.

 

Spring was finally making its way around in Seoul as the sun was coming out more often. Meaning there was less reason to wear jackets out during the day. Mark was setting the picnic blanket he and Jinyoung had brought for their date at the park. Instead of making their way through the woods in the park to their secret spot up the hill they decided to sit at the park surrounded by people and with a lovely view of the water. Sitting on the picnic blanket Mark watched as Jinyoung bid farewell to a little toddler who must have bumped into him as he was making his way towards Mark. Placing the picnic basket he was carrying Jinyoung goes to sit beside Mark.

“You know,” Jinyoung stretches his body, “when we start a family of our own I want three kids.”

“Who said I’m going to marry you?” Mark teases as he watches Jinyoung lay on his back to stare at the sky.

“You did from this one time you got completely drunk.” Making a face Mark couldn’t tell if Jinyoung was lying to him or not. Besides that, he couldn’t recall a time he was completely drunk out of his mind.

“When did I ever get completely drunk around you?”

“The first time we met remember? At the club when it was Jackson’s birthday?” Smacking his head mentally he had completely forgotten he got completely drunk that night.

“Did I really said I was going to marry you that day?” Mark asks horrified.

“Yeah, you confessed how attractive I was and said you were going to marry me for it.” Jinyoung teases as Mark smacks him on the chest. Jinyoung laughs as he pulls at Mark’s arm to bring him down to lay beside him. They stared at white clouds in comfortable silence as children laughter far off from them can be heard.

“Do you think Jaebum is going to be okay?” Jinyoung voice his concern to Mark.

“I don’t think he has any regret that it didn’t work out because he at least gave it a shot.” Just a few days ago Jaebum had finally confessed his love to Sunmi only to be turned down. It made Mark realize just how love works. Love doesn’t always work for some people. Sure, Jaebum didn’t get his feelings reciprocated because Sunmi actually had feelings towards Young K. Someone she knew longer and felt like she had more in common with. Some love will work and some wouldn’t and that was life. Looking to his side to stare at Jinyoung side view profile Mark couldn’t help but feel how lucky he was that his and Jinyoung’s love works. Inching closer to Jinyoung’s face he goes to plant a soft kiss on his cheeks before pulling away.

“What was that for?”

“Nothing.” Propping himself up with his elbow Jinyoung stares at Mark with a smile. Just then a small daisy flower growing on the grass behind Jinyoung caught Mark’s attention. Sitting up he goes to point at the flower.

“A daisy,” As Jinyoung goes to sit up to look at the daisy he was pointing at he continues to speak, “you never told me why I reminded you of a fallen daisy.”

“You want to know?” Jinyoung asks as Mark nod his head, “Daisy symbolizes innocence and purity. Because of the countless time you witnessed tragedy on love, your belief in love being a wonderful thing was lost. Nirmala Srivastava once said ‘innocence is the source of love’ and so when you lost that innocence you were like…” Plucking the daisy off the ground he goes to bring it to Mark, “a fallen daisy.”

Taking the daisy from Jinyoung he looks into his boyfriend's eyes, “Well, I could only now hope I will continue to grow into a field of daisies.” And he smiled, he truly smiled for the first time in the longest time he could remember. And Jinyoung was blinded, his smile was so pure and so innocently drunk on love. It was beautiful. He was truly beautiful.

 

 


The story is finally complete and Mark isn't afraid to take a chance on love. (': 

Thank you to all those who gave this story your attention and upvote/commented on this story. It really means a lot to me. What are you thoughts on any of the characters or the ending in general?

P.S. Like an Ouran Host Club

*hint hint*