Chapter 07

Picking up his fallen daisies

Almost three long weeks had passed ever since ‘ went down’ as Mark likes to call it. Jaebum had kindly spread the word to his other three friends and was glad they didn’t push him to talk about it. Instead, they gave him the space he needed up until a week later. The next two weeks they tried dragging him out of his apartment. Mark was sulking, he only left his apartment to work and to buy grocery. He avoided going out hoping to avoid the chance of running into Jinyoung. Thursday had become a regular event where his friends would go to the cafe to see their other friends. Mark had refused to go because of Jinyoung. Jaebum didn’t push him nor did the other two younger male, Although, Jackson didn’t say anything to Mark he gave him a sad look each time he refused.

Jinyoung hadn’t texted Mark at all those past three weeks. It wasn’t as if Mark was waiting for a text message or anything, but he wasn’t expecting one either. He also hadn’t figured out why he was angry at himself that night as well. Trying to dig for any answer somewhere inside his mind just left him more frustrated and so he decided to just not figure it out. But that resulted in him feeling sulky.

“Mark hyung,” Bambam waves a hand in front of Mark snapping the older male out of his trance, “could you please pass the salt shaker to Youngjae hyung? He’s about to start yelling if you don’t.” He pointed to the salt shaker that was sitting at the sauce rack that happens to be beside Mark. Grabbing the salt shaker out of its rack he stretches his arm across the table towards Youngjae who took it with a great sigh of relief.

“Thank you.” Youngjae mutters under his breath, Mark was only eating with Youngjae and Bambam at a diner for lunch because the two of them had dragged him out. He only ordered a tray of fries that would have been good if it wasn’t cold already. He wasn’t feeling particularly hungry either, picking his food here and there before eating a few bites of his fries. “So, Mark hyung I’m curious and I know I have no place to ask you this. But Jinyoung’s one of my close hyung and he’s been acting down lately. What happened between you guys? He wouldn’t tell me when I asked and Bambam told me you’ve been acting and I quote, ‘like a girl who’s on their monthly cycle’.”

That made Bambam earn an icy glare from Mark as the redhead with his mouth stuffed with food pointing back him, “What? It’s true!” Rolling his eyes he avoided the two pair of eyes staring at him as he looks as his fries before picking one up to dip in the ketchup sauce repeatedly.

Letting out a tired sigh he looks up at Youngjae, “I don’t want to talk about it Youngjae. Can we just eat and leave?” Youngjae stares at him awhile longer before giving in nodding his head before returning back to eating his fries and burger.

When Mark got home after dropping Youngjae off work and Bambam back to his apartment he took a quick shower before going to his living room. He was watching a recent Korean drama set in the historical era when his doorbell rang. Groaning he could only guess it was one of his friend that came to bother him. Honestly, he just wanted to left alone and bathed in his sad sulky emotions he’s feeling these days without any interruptions. Getting up from his couch slowly he still held onto his TV remote control as he went to open the door. Of course, it was Jackson who came to visit him. He must have come from work as his work tag was still hanging around his neck. Opening the door for him Mark walks back to the couch as Jackson closes the door behind him. The blonde follows Mark to the couch before sitting down on the couch beside him. They sat in silence watching the Korean drama playing before them before Jackson decides now was the time to talk. “You do know you’ve been acting like a wounded dog for too long right?” The noise from the drama was the only thing that was heard as Mark continues to watch. Ignoring Jackson’s question. “Mark, stop acting like a .” That riled Mark up a little as he turns his head to face Jackson glaring at him.

“I am not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.” Mark grits his teeth feeling his anger rising.

“Then explain to me why you’re so sulky when Jinyoung confessed to you?”

“That has nothing to do with it!” Mark yells as Jackson matches his loudness as well.

“That has everything to do with it!” Mark groans cupping his eyes with the palm of his hands. Meanwhile, bringing his head down between his legs.

“What do you want from me, Jackson?”

“Remember the first time you were about to hang out with Jinyoung and you told me a part of you was terrified but excited at the same time to hang out with him?” Jackson asks as Mark lifts up his head to look at Jackson with confusion not understanding why his best friend is bringing this up.

“Yes, I don’t see how this is related.”

Ignoring Mark’s word Jackson continue on to speak, “You asked me if that was weird and I said it wasn’t that you’ll understand soon enough.”

“Jackson I don’t-”

“Then you ask if I knew something and isn’t telling you? And I said it’s something you have to find out for yourself. Well, I think it’s time for you to find out for yourself because it has everything to do with how you are feeling and acting right now.” Jackson’s words swirled around in Mark’s head as he took in everything the young male was telling him. “Mark, I also know deep down in your heart somewhere you know exactly why you were feeling like that during that time and right now as well.”

Silence as the Korean drama was long forgotten. Both male sitting on the couch as Jackson waited for Mark to do anything. With a shaky breath, he looks into his best friend eyes with fear, the fear to say something he was too afraid to admit to himself for awhile now.

“I’m scared Jackson, I think I like Jinyoung too.” He said the last part with a crack in his voice as a single tear slid down his face. Jackson was quick to embrace his best friend in his arms as Mark continues to cry. He was honestly scared of liking Jinyoung. He avoided liking or loving someone for so long he became so oblivious to his own feelings. When Jackson finally left his apartment Mark was feeling better after finally realizing his own feelings to the younger. He also understood why he was angry at himself that night when Jinyoung confessed to him. He was angry at himself because he did like Jinyoung and deep down inside him he did want something more with him as well. But he wasn’t going to admit that to Jinyoung. Probably never because he was still scared of the fact that he likes him. Perhaps if he stays away from Jinyoung long enough his own feelings towards him will fade and Jinyoung’s feelings towards him will fade away as well.

But oh how mother nature liked to go up against Mark. He was doing fine avoiding Jinyoung up until Young K personally asked Mark to come by Thursday because his band was celebrating their second year together. There was no way Mark could turn down the party invitation and give him the reason why was because he was trying to avoid his friend, Jinyoung. And so on the fifth week after the confession, Mark was standing outside the cafe on a Thursday night. The cafe was apparently closed for the night with a sign hung from inside, but you could hear music from inside. Jackson gave Mark’s shoulder a squeeze comforting him. “It’s okay Mark, you don’t have to talk to him if you don’t want to.” He whispers to him as Mark gave a nod of his head. He took in a breath of air before motioning for Jackson to knock on the door. A few minutes later the door swung open revealing Youngjae with slightly pink cheeks.

“Jackson hyung! Mark hyung! You guysssszzz made it!” He slurred his word a little before throwing his arm wide up with a grin on his face. Mark could tell the younger male was a bit drunk before stepping inside the cafe. All the Day6 bandmates were there drinking and laughing as Bambam and Yugyeom who was there already was playing a game of thirteen. As Youngjae closes the cafe door he runs back to the party, plopping himself down a chair beside Sunmi who was playing the bass guitar in her seat. Jaebum was also sitting at the table with them with a drink in his hand before waving both Jackson and him over.

“Took you guys long enough to come.” Jaebum said as Jackson pulls himself a chair with Mark following his lead.

“Hey, I had work today remember? Besides, I had to make a trip to pick up Mark.” Jackson motions towards Mark who was scanning the area of any sign of Jinyoung.

“If you’re looking for JinyoUNG hyuNG he went to the restroom.” Youngjae spoke before hiccupping beside Mark. Sunmi gently set down the bass guitar before trying to get Youngjae up from her chair.

“Come on Youngjae let’s try to get you sober up a bit. I think you had a little too much to drink earlier.” Grabbing by the shoulder trying to get him to stand Jaebum jumps into action. Helping Sunmi support Youngjae they each of took a side of Youngjae and slinked an arm around their shoulder supporting him up. Walking towards the open cafe bar to the sink.

“Hey, Jinyoung at 2 o’clock.” Jackson warns under his breath as Mark took a look at where Jackson directed. Sure enough, Jinyoung was exiting the restroom fixing his sleeves of a white knitted sweater he was wearing before stopping in his tracks noticing Mark. It was a quick glance before Mark’s looks away as Jinyoung made his way past Mark’s table to sit beside Wonpil.

“Do you want another beer?” Sunmi asks noticing Mark swirling his beer bottle around with no liquid inside. Two hours had passed since he Mark arrived at the party and the only thing he did so far was drunk beers that were actually heavier than the cafe beer. Young K and Jae had bought it and brought it hoping to really celebrate. Meanwhile, he was also conversing with his friends but making sure to avoid talking to Jinyoung. However, he snuck glances here and then watching Jinyoung talk to Wonpil as well as playing card games with Bambam and Yugyeom. There was a moment where Yugyeom stood up from his chair playfully yelling at Jinyoung that was cheating making the male laugh. Mark couldn’t help but miss hearing him laugh and to see how the wrinkles around his eye would crinkle when he laughs. Looking at his three bottles of beer before him he turns to look at Sunmi shaking his head.

“No, I think I had enough for tonight. Thank you.” Sunmi nods her head before tapping Jaebum on the shoulder telling him to help her clean up the place since he was going to drive Youngjae and her home. Youngjae had sober up a lot since the last two hour as he could not talk more normally. As Sunmi walks away to converse with the other group of friends Jaebum watches her leave with a wide smile as Jackson change the pitch of his voice higher meanwhile acting extremely excited.

“Look at our Jaebummie looking all smitten~” Jackson comments while poking Jaebum on the arm earning him a headlock from Jaebum. The night went on like this until everybody decided to call it a night. Jaebum, Sunmi, and Youngjae stayed back at the cafe to clean up the place meanwhile Sungjin was driving his bandmates to his house for a sleepover. They were going on a quick road trip to continue their celebration of being together the few days. Mark was following Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom since Jackson said he’ll drop him off back at his place first. Making his way out of the cafe with his other friends, Mark felt a tap on his shoulder. Swiveling around to see who it was it was Wonpil giving him a smile.

“Hey Mark, I know you didn’t bring your car today and I was wondering would you mind taking the bus with Jinyoung?” Wonpil asks as Mark assumes he was oblivious to what went down between Jinyoung and him.

“Oh,” Mark says awkwardly looking over his shoulder watching Jackson walking with Bambam and Yugyeom while laughing at something at what the redhead said. “Jackson is actually giving me a ride back to my place.”

“Oh,” Wonpil bites the inside of his cheek as a worried look crosses his face, “that’s okay then I guess.” Mark didn’t want to ask what was wrong but his head and heart weren’t working well together. It must have been the alcohol in his system as Mark found himself speaking before he could stop himself. “Is everything okay?” Wonpil sighs before glancing off to where Jinyoung was standing against a wall outside the cafe under a street lamp. Mark hadn’t noticed the way Jinyoung hair had grown slightly longer and how he parted his bangs to the side with gel making him look more handsome.  

“It’s just that...Jinyoung is kind of afraid of taking the bus home alone at night. I normally make my way to take the bus with him and just crash at his place, but I can’t today.”

“Oh,” Thoughts after thoughts were racing through his mind trying to decide what to do exactly. He didn’t have to talk to Jinyoung on the bus. He could pretend to sleep. No harm could be done really. “I mean, yeah sure I can take the bus with him.”

“Really?” Wonpil asks with a relief look as he glances back at Jinyoung who was staring up at the night sky. “I’m really grateful for what you’re doing Mark even if things are awkward between you guys.” Well, there goes the assumption of him not knowing what went down between Jinyoung and him. Of course, Jinyoung would tell him. They are best friends after all. “I’ll go tell him that you’ll take the bus with him right now.” Mark nods his head as he went to tell Jackson he wasn’t going with him after all. When Mark told Jackson that he was going to take the bus with Jinyoung, Jackson gives Mark a small smile before patting his shoulder. Went he got to the bus stop Jinyoung was already sitting on the bench. Walking to take a seat beside Jinyoung, Mark could only hear the sound of distant cars going by. They didn’t talk to each other when the bus finally pulls up. Both of them taking a seat across from each other avoiding one another. Mark took out his phone to check for the time, it was eleven at night already and barely anyone was on the bus. That made the bus ride faster to Jinyoung’s stop before his. They would both be home before one in the morning. When Jinyoung got off his bus stop there was no word of exchange. Mark couldn’t lie that that did make him feel slightly hurt and sad at the same time. He knew it was his fault in the first place but he wasn’t planning on fixing it. When he got home Mark quickly went to take a long hot shower when he heard the doorbell. Getting out and drying himself as much as possible before getting dress he made his way to the front door. He was drying his hair when he opens the door thinking it was Jackson who came over to check up on Mark. Instead, he found Jinyoung standing at his door wearing the same white sweater and blue jeans. But his hair was now slightly messed up as if he had run his fingers through his hair multiple times.

“Jinyoung what are you doing here?”

“I just don’t understand. I know you feel something towards me.”

“Jinyoung I’m not having this conversation with you right now.” Making the move to close the door Jinyoung stops him by putting his hand on the door.

“No, I’m not leaving Mark! I know you’re terrified of the thought of liking me.” Closing his eyes shut Mark tries to ignore the words Jinyong was saying hoping he’ll go away. Instead, he could feel his emotions that had been bottling up breaks as he loses all control of his emotion.

“ Yes, I’m terrified Jinyoung. I’m terrified of the thought of falling for you! All my life I’ve been avoiding love because I know it will only come with pain . What if I do go out with you and one day we decide to break up? What happens when you cut me loose one day? How am I supposed to deal with the pain? How does one learn to move on ?” Mark asks exasperatedly while trying to catch his breath. Re runs his shaky hand through his wet chestnut brown hair. “So yes I rather stay up high in the clouds without having to deal with relationships where I won’t fall. Where nothing can hurt me Jinyoung.”

“I won’t hurt you.”

“You don’t know that.”

“At least give me the chance to show you what love is. I’m not saying you have to date me, Mark. Just give me a chance to show you even a small glimpse that love can be a beautiful thing and then when you make up your mind to not do love ever, I’ll leave with us just being friends.”

Mark did weigh out Jinyoung’s words, should he take the chance that Jinyoung is offering him? Staring into Jinyoung’s eyes he knew that deep down in himself he did wanted to feel what love was like. Even just a tiny glimpse. And so, he found himself opening the door wider to let Jinyoung into his apartment and into his heart.

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors.

Huhuhu ^^ Are you guys happy for Mark?