Chapter 03

Picking up his fallen daisies

When Mark first told his friends he was tagging along to visit the cafe and the band this upcoming Thursday, as usual, Jaebum, Bambam, and Yugyeom didn’t make much of it. The two younger male just explaining how excited they were for Mark to join them. Meanwhile, Jackson, eyes Mark suspiciously before dropping the subject matter and joining the two younger male on expressing just how excited he was that Mark was coming along. It would have been a lie if Mark didn’t say he was nervous ever since his text to Jinyoung. Every passing day seems longer than usual. He hadn’t text Jinyoung after that night. There were nights where he did stare at his phone. Thinking whether he should send a text message, but thought better of it. Tossing his phone aside on his bed before rolling over on his side to fall asleep.

It was odd and funny how everyday life works. How one eventful day seems so far away and time seem so slow, but in a blink of an eye it's here and time seems to be going so fast. Mark had to blink several times to snap himself out of his trance. He took in his surrounding, looking around a bustling cafe in Seoul downtown. It was surprisingly still very busy at a time like seven in the evening, but Mark would bet it had something to do with the band that a lot of females were gathering to see. He was situated at a table where the rest of his friends were around the corner not too far off from the stage that they could see clearly. Jackson had run off to get them drinks as Bambam and Yugyeom were in a deep conversation as always. Jaebum was running late as he had a quick errand to run, that it had something to do with getting more cat food for his cats.

Just then a female voice interrupted his thoughts, “You're Mark right?” Mark looks up to the sound of the voice, finding Sunmi standing next to him with a smile on her face.

“Uh, yeah that's me. Mark.” He awkwardly says as Sunmi lets out a small laugh before taking a seat from the empty chair beside him.

“It's nice to have you join us! You're going to love the performance.” She says as Mark nods his head not quite sure on what to say.

“Do you come to the band shows often?” He asks as Sunmi breaks out into a grin.

“I guess you can say that as I do technically work here. I'm the manager here.” She explains as Mark took notice of her work uniform as Youngjae runs to their table out of breath also wearing something similar.

“Sunmi nuna, we ran out of napkins and the storage room is locked.” Youngjae explains as Sunmi gets up from her seat.

“Well duty calls, I’ll see you around later Mark!” With a wave of her hand, she leaves with Youngjae walking beside her. As Mark watch five people setting their instrument up on stage, he recognizes Young K and Wonpil but not the other three that must be the rest of the band members Jackson mentioned before.

“One cold chocolate milk, iced mocha, iced Americano, and an iced tea for me!” Jackson shouts happily, placing everyone drinks in front of them. Mark took his iced Americano and swirl the content in his glass before taking a sip.

“Hyung, are you sure you'll be able to sleep after drinking that?” Yugyeom asks while eying Mark’s drink with concern.

“I’ll be fine Yugyeom, just drink your chocolate milk.” He orders as Yugyeom shrugs his shoulder before doing as he was told. Jackson sets his glass of iced tea on the table with a thump after taking a drink as Mark grimaces.

“Mark, you have got to let me introduce you to the band members after. Well besides Young K and Wonpil, they are such a cool band!” Jackson gushes as Bambam rolls his eyes at Jackson fangirling over the group.

“When is Jaebum hyung going to arrive? The show is about to start soon.” Bambam asks looking at his wristwatch as Mark grabs out his phone to check for any message.

“I’m sure he’ll get here on time besides I don’t think he’s going to miss the opportunity to talk to Sunmi.” Jackson says smirking as he takes a sip of his drink. Just then Jaebum shows up behind Jackson with a questioning look.

“Are you guys talking about me?” He asks making Jackson choke on his drink as Bambam sitting beside him pats his back with concern.

“We just thought you might miss the start of the show that’s all.” Mark answers telling half the truth and half a lie covering for his best friend. Jaebum nods his head as he took the last empty seat beside Mark and Yugyeom. Just then the lights from the cafe dim down as the stage lights point towards the stage.

“Hi, everyone! Nice of you guys to join us today. I see familiar faces and new ones as well which are always nice to see.” A man standing in the middle of the stage with a guitar strapped around him spoke through the microphone. “I’m Sungjin, the leader, main vocalist, and guitarist of the band Day6.” He introduces earning applauses from the crowd.

“Hello what's good, I’m Day6’s electric guitar, sometimes rap when Young K doesn't want to do it, I can sort of dance, thank you I'm Jae.” A guy with blonde hair and wearing a pair of spectacles says earning a few laugh from the audience as well as his band members on stage.

“Hi, my names Young K and I'm the bassist. Thank you.”

Young K introduces himself as Mark hears a couple of females sitting next to his table gushes on how cool he was to one another.

“Hi!” Wonpil raises his hand with a wave happily as a squeal from the audience reacts to how cute he was. “I’m Wonpil the keyboardist in the group and lead vocalist. Thank you.” On that note, he shoots out a heart with his fingers earning another episode of squeals from his female fans.

“Hello, my name is Yoon Dowoon and I'm the drummer.” He introduces just as cool like Young K moments earlier.

“The first song we’ll be playing is ‘Congratulations’.” Sungjin said and without further ado, the drummer starts the first beat of the song. Mark had to say after hearing a couple of the band songs he was bobbing to the beat. Their songs were either upbeat or slowed down and the lyrics were artistic. Just then he felt a tap on his left shoulder, it was Jaebum signaling he was going to get a drink as Mark nod his head making sure to save his friend’s seat. A couple of minutes pass by as Mark made sure to check after his friend’s empty seat wasn’t occupied by someone else. A few of more minutes go by until a silhouette of a man in the corner of Mark’s eye took the empty seat. Figuring it must be Jaebum since it had been some time that the younger male left to get a drink, Mark didn't think much of it and didn't bother to check.

“What took you so long to get back?” Mark asks when the band called for a five-minute break. He turns to look at Jaebum only to stop midway in surprise because it wasn’t Jaebum sitting next to him at all. Instead, it was the handsome man with black raven hair.

“I didn’t know you were waiting for me.” Jinyoung replies back before giving Mark a smile.

“I thought you were Jaebum.” Mark mumbles as his cheeks grew hot from embarrassment. It looked like Jackson felt the awkwardness in the air as he turns his attention away from the stage to look at Mark.

“What’s with the awk- Jinyoung! When did you get here? You do know that’s Jaebum’s seat you’re sitting in right now right?” Jackson asks playfully as Jinyoung chuckles before motioning his head towards the food ordering area.

“I don’t think he’s coming back for awhile. I ran into him earlier when he was talking to Sunmi nuna by the ordering station. He was the one that actually showed me where you guys were sitting.” Jinyoung explains as Jackson clucks his tongue before pouting.

“Why that little no good friend. I can’t believe he ditched us to talk to Sunmi nuna. I’m not the only who clearly sees he has a crush on her right?” Jackson asks the group nudging Bambam to get his attention as the younger lad nod his head before turning his attention back to Yugyeom.

“He’s not the only one.” Jinyoung adds, “Young K has been crushing on her ever since they met as well. He’s just too shy and afraid to ask her out.”

“No way, is this going to be some Korean drama of a love triangle we always see on TV?’ Bambam pipes up completely ditching his conversation with Yugyeom and joining the conversation at the table.

“I’m actually not sure if Sunmi nuna likes anyone.” Jinyoung replies with a thinking face, “I mean she does have some things in common with Jaebum and Young K.”

“Like what?” Bambam asks intrigued by the turn of conversation they have involving Jaebum, Sunmi, and Young K.

“Well for starters, she has a cat and she is a bassist herself.”

“No way, Sunmi nuna plays the bass?” Yugyeom suddenly asks joining in on the conversation.

“Should we not talk about their love life? Or meddle in on it?” Mark cuts in feeling uncomfortable talking about someone else’s love life when they were so near by.

“Oh Markie, we’re just curious.” Jackson says patting Mark’s back as Mark playfully swats his hand away.

“Mark makes a valid point though. It’s not our place to say or do anything that might cause more trouble than good.” Jinyoung says while looking at the stage at Young K putting back on his bass guitar before turning his attention back to group at the table.

“Well, I’m going to go bother Jaebum and his new develop crush just to see what deep conversation they’re having now.” Jackson getting up from his chair announces. Mark watches as he makes his way through the continuous increasing crowd in the cafe.

“Is this place always this busy when the band comes to play?” Mark finds himself asking Jinyoung who nods his head with a smile as if he was proud of his friend’s achievement.

“Yeah, a lot of people like coming here to drink and relax while enjoying a good show. Besides that near the end of the night, they always play a new song they recently composed.”

“I’m looking forward to that then.” Mark says as Jinyoung looks back at Mark with a grin.

“I hope so, are you enjoying the show?”

“There music is interesting and refreshing. So yeah I am.” Hearing that Jinyoung breaks out into a wider grin as Mark took notice of Jinyoung’s clothes. The younger male was wearing light blue jeans and a white t-shirt covered over by a gray hoodie and light jean jacket. His hair was styled down unlike at the club when they met. His bangs were down and were just long enough to reach his eyebrows. Needless to say, Mark had to say he looked adorable and began panicking if he looked okay as well. He hadn’t put much effort into his outfit. Perhaps he should have had Bambam helped him dressed earlier. But then again why was he panicking to know if he dressed okay or not? He wasn’t trying to impress Jinyoung. Definitely not.

“Mark?” Jinyoung calls touching him by the shoulder snapping Mark out of his thoughts. Ever since meeting Jinyoung he had been dozing off in his own thoughts a lot.

“Yeah,” Mark shakes his head, “I’m sorry what did you say?” Jinyoung takes his hand off his shoulder pointing at the stage.

“They’re about to play the new song and I was wondering if you’re up for a walk closer to the stage? You hear the music better and watching them close up on the stage is an experience of a lifetime.” Mark weight Jinyoung offered in his head. Should he sit here with Yugyeom and Bambam? Although those two will be in a deep conversation with each other. Or should he go with Jinyoung and experience this ‘once in a lifetime’ as Jinyoung had put it? Jinyoung was looking at Mark for an answer as Mark nod his head and got up from his chair coming to a decision.

“Let’s go.”

Mark kind of regretted saying yes as Jinyoung and him weaved their way through the crowd towards the front of the stage. Jinyoung was walking ahead leading the way as Mark follows suit when a man walks in front of Mark halting him in his steps. As he waits for the man to walk past him he felt someone grab his left hand. Looking up it was Jinyoung who was holding his hand in his. “Come on, we’re not far from the stage now. Just a bit more.” Pulling him slightly Mark follows Jinyoung through the crowd and finally made their way to the front of the stage.

“Unfortunately this will be the last song we will be playing for the night,” Sungjin announces as the crowd whines in disappointment. “but the good news is this song is recently composed and was inspired by recent events of making new friends. Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you guys enjoyed tonight's performance. This is our last song called, ‘Hi Hello’.” Like every performance, someone plays the first beat as everyone else slowly follows.

You were “you”

I was “I”

We’ve been living without knowing each other

With a “hi”

Now it’s you and me

It’s “us” now

“Was this song written by Young K and Wonpil?” Mark asks listening to the first verse lyrics.

“If I remember correctly I think it was Young K and someone else that wrote the lyrics. The composing part did involve Young K and Wonpil however.” Jinyoung answers looking at Mark before turning his attention back on stage.

Hi (Hello)

Whenever I say this to you, the word that excites me

Hi (Hello)

After we say this to each other, our story begins

Hearing the lyrics Mark couldn’t help but smile. The song hits a familiar place to everyone's heart. Anyone and everyone had experience meeting and making new friends. Although Mark wasn’t the biggest fan of making new friends always, he was glad he was able to make five new friends that day at the club.

To you I

To me you

Didn’t mean anything before

But with a “Hi”

You and I are together now

Mark felt a squeeze from his left hand and found Jinyoung still holding his hands in his from earlier. Looking from their hands to Jinyoung’s face who already had his eyes trained on him, he broke out into a smile that showed the little crinkles near his eyes. And Mark thought he felt his heart skip a beat.

 

 


Sorry for the long wait and for any grammatical errors! As always comments are always welcome. (: