Chapter 04

Picking up his fallen daisies

Acting on instinct Mark quickly pulls his hand away from Jinyoung’s grasps without failing to notice the smile on Jinyoung’s face vanishing as well. Mark knew he hurt the younger male feelings with his actions without meaning to.

“I didn’t mean-” Mark began explaining himself before thinking better of it, “should we go back to the table?” Without waiting for his reply Mark turns on his heels and began walking back where he came from with Jinyoung following right behind him. He could sense it, anybody with some common sense could sense the strange awkwardness in the air between the two. When they got back to the table Jaebum and Jackson were occupying the abandoned seats from earlier, talking amongst themselves as Bambam and Yugyeom greeted Jinyoung and Mark.

“I’m gonna go grab a drink.” Excusing himself Jinyoung quickly makes his way through the crowd of people vanishing from their sight.

“What was that about?” Jaebum asks looking from where Jinyoung had gone to Mark whilst raising his eyebrow suspiciously.

“Seriously, I could practically taste the awkwardness in the air.” Jackson added exaggerating his words as Mark bit his bottom lip nervously. He was not about to tell the guys what went down moments earlier. They wouldn’t be able to shut up if he did and he seriously was not going to have another pep talk about love with Jackson.

“It’s nothing, we just ran out of things to talk about.” Mark lied while pulling up a chair from an empty table recently abandoned beside them. Not wanting to have this discussion go any further he turns around from the four suspicious pair of eyes looking at him to focus on the front stage. The song had just reached its last note and everybody began clapping for the band.

“Thank you! Enjoy the rest of your night and see you guys next week Thursday!” Sungjin says to the crowd before taking off the guitar strapped around him. Slowly the crowd diminishes as some left while some still lingered around the cafe chatting amongst their group of friends.

“Okay, Mark now’s my chance to introduce you to the band.” Jackson gushes hopping up from his seat.

“Shouldn’t you just let Young K or Wonpil hyung do that?” Bambam asks as Jackson ignores his question running towards the stage where the band members were either setting down their instrument or putting it away. When he came back he was pulling along the leader of the group Sungjin as the rest of the group follows behind them.

“Mark, this is Sungjin and Sungjin this is Mark.” Jackson introduces as both male bow their heads slightly to each other.

“Hi, I’m Park Sungjin.” The male introduces himself again meanwhile sticking his hand out for a handshake. Mark took the man’s hand and shook it as Jae slaps Jackson’s back with a loud clap.

“Dude, I’m sure Mark already knows our names by now.” That earns a pouting Jackson as Young K and Jae both laugh at his hilarious antics of wanting to introduce every member to Mark.

“Drinks coming through!” Youngjae yells as he makes his way through the room towards their table. He was balancing a black round tray in each hand. As he set both trays down on the table he heaves a sigh as if this took a lot of his effort. Setting down each bottle of beer at their table he grabs back the tray in his hand before clutching it to his chest. “Drink up you guys!” He happily announces backing away from the table.

“These are light beers.” Bambam whines as Youngjae wags his finger in front of him.

“This is a cafe and this is the heaviest drink containing alcohol here. Take it or leave it since it’s free.” Youngjae counters shutting Bambam up, the redhead silently took his drink in his hand before clinking his drink with Yugyeom.

“You guys aren’t drinking with us?” Young K asks noticing Youngjae walking away from the table.

“And where’s Jinyoung?” Wonpil pipes up noticing his best friend was missing from the scene.

“He’s talking with Sunmi nuna and the three of us are already sipping our drinks.” Youngjae beams happily before running back towards where Sunmi and Jinyoung were.

“I’m gonna go greet Jinyoung.” Wonpil announces taking his drink with him as Young K quickly joins him. Mark watches as Wonpil makes his way towards Jinyoung who greeted him happily, giving him a side hug as they began conversing with each other.

“Who are you staring at?” Jackson whispers into Mark’s ear jolting him up from his seat slightly. Switching his gaze away from the scene he stared at his beer and the water condensation developing around his beer bottle. Jackson took his seat beside Mark with a mischievous grin.

“Was it Wonpil?” Jackson asks in a low voice, “Jinyoung?”

“Jackson I wasn’t staring at anyone so stop asking me stupid questions.” Mark bites back taking a gulp of his drink hoping Jackson doesn’t notice his reddening cheeks.

“Right,” Jackson draws out the word before shaking his beer bottle in front of Mark, “would you be a best friend and get me another bottle then? I finished mine already.” Mark rolled his eyes before getting up from his seat. He can’t believe Jackson always manage to get him to do the little things for him. Heading towards the food order area Sunmi spots Mark as she waves him over. She was currently talking to Youngjae and Young K at the counter. Meanwhile, Wonpil and Jinyoung had gone off to the side of the counter sitting on the bar stool conversing.

“Mark what can I get you?” Sunmi asks when Mark approaches her who was standing behind the counter. Raising his arm to show the beer bottle in his hand he shakes it in his hand slightly.

“Can you give me two of these beers? Jackson already finished his.” Sunmi nods her head as she turns around to grab the beers from the fridge. As he waited for Sunmi to return to him with his drink, he tried really hard not to focus his gaze on Jinyoung who had his back turned to him.

“Here you go Mark,” Sunmi voice pipes up as he turns to look at her, “and don't sweat the bill tonight's on us.” Thanking her he grabs the beer and made his way back to Jackson who was trying to cheer up Jaebum. Setting down the beers at the table he overhears Jackson's words as he took his seat.

“I’m pretty sure they're just having a nice conversation like always. If it makes you feel better Youngjae is there too. You don't have to worry about anything.”

“What's going on?”

“Jaebum hyung is getting jealous of Young K hyung talking to Sunmi nuna over there.” Yugyeom answers earning a death glare from Jaebum.

“I’m not jealous you little twerp. If anyone is jealous it's Mark.”

“Why are you dragging me into this? Plus, I’m not jealous of anyone.”

“Really?” Jaebum arch an eyebrow up not believing Mark.

“Really, there's nothing to be jealous about. We're just friends.”

“With Wonpil?”

“No, with Jin-” Mark caught himself on time as Jackson looks at him with a smirk. Both Jaebum and Jackson gave each other a high five.

“We’re just friends.” Mark tries to clarify.

“If you say so.” Jaebum said but looks unconvinced like the rest of his friends.

 

By the end of the night, Mark had avoided talking to Jinyoung altogether. Mingling with the band and his original group of friends instead. It was finally closing time and Jaebum had volunteered to drive Sunmi and Youngjae home since they lived around the same area. Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom were heading back to their own shared apartment. Meanwhile, Sungjin was driving Dowoon home since they lived near the same neighborhood. That left Young K, Jae, and Wonpil taking the bus to go back to their shared apartment as well.

“Hey is anyone able to drive Jinyoung home?” Wonpil pipes up with a concerned look written on his face. Mark watched as Jinyoung tugs on Wonpil arm trying to tell him to keep quiet which the other man ignored. “My stupid best friend is afraid to take the bus home alone.”

“Wonpil!” Jinyoung yells as a warning as Sungjin chuckles beside them.

“I think Mark can!” Jackson volunteers for his friend as Mark’s head snaps to his idiot of a best friend.

“Can you Mark?” Wonpil looks at Mark pleadingly.

“Wonpil he lives in the opposite direction of where my apartment is.” Jinyoung whines not meeting Mark’s gaze.

“It's okay, it's actually not that far I believe.” Mark found himself saying before he could think better of it.

“Great, thank you, Mark. Jinyoung owes you for this.” Wonpil flashes Mark a smile while Jinyoung hits him on the arm. Everybody begins to disperse then with the promise of seeing each other soon again. Mark stood by his car watching Jinyoung and Wonpil exchange word of goodbyes. With a pat on each other’s back and a wave, Jinyoung watches his best friend leave with two of his other band mates towards the bus stop before turning around to walk towards Mark’s car.

“Thanks for driving me home.” Jinyoung said whilst opening the passenger side sliding in as Mark follows suit on the driver’s side.

“It's no problem really.” He responds back before he inserts his car key in the key slot turning on the engine. As the vehicle roars to life he began to drive down the road ever so slowly, the awkward silence began to fill in space between the two. Sensing the awkward atmosphere Jinyoung reaches out for the knob to the radio and began fidgeting with it to find a channel that was playing some music. He stopped on a channel playing recent KPOP songs. As the music feels up the void of awkwardness Mark decided to concentrate on the road while Jinyoung looks out the window on the passenger side.

“Just make a right turn after the third stop light and you should be on the main road of my apartment building.” Jinyoung directs as Mark gave a stiff nod of his head. As he did as directed he pulled in front of a brick building. Taking off his seatbelt Jinyoung goes to open the door, putting a foot out he stops midway of getting out the door and turns around to face Mark. Mark could tell he had something to say but wasn't sure if he should say it or not as he chews his bottom lips.

“Hey Mark,” Jinyoung calls out as the other male turns to look at him, “I’m sorry about earlier tonight. Wonpil mentioned to me once before that I tend to be too affectionate which can cause discomfort to others. I guess that's what I did tonight.” He said the last part shyly, embarrassed of his actions as he scratches the back of his neck.

“I didn't-” Mark opens his mouth to apologize as Jinyoung looks at him waiting for what he has to say. Except that his apology doesn't come as he changes his mind brushing it off instead, “you just took me off guard. I tend to not like making new friends.”

“New friends?” Jinyoung says the last part in unison with Mark, except his came out as a question. Trying to confirm if his assumption was correct. “I understand Mark, but you do acknowledge me as your friend right?”

Mark bit down on his bottom lip because he wasn't sure what Jinyoung was to him at all. A friend? An acquaintance?

“Would you like to hang out with me this upcoming Saturday? Just to get to know me better before you decide on me being a friend or a foe?” Jinyoung suggests out loud.

“Jinyoung, you're not a foe to me.”

“But I'm not a friend either.” He points out a matter of factly, wielding Mark to be unable to deny the fact. “All I’m saying is hang out with me. I’m not all that bad. Besides, I think you need me in your life.”

Mark gaps at him stunned by his words as Jinyoung quickly gets out of the car. Closing the door behind him he directs Mark of their plan this Saturday. Explaining that Mark should come pick him up at 4 PM and leave the planning to him. With a wave of his hand, Jinyoung's turns on his heel and went up the steps to his apartment building shutting the doors behind him. Looks like Mark just made plans for this upcoming Saturday.

 

“Looks like Mark landed himself a date.” Jackson teases on the phone. Mark was having a three-way call with his friends. Explaining the crazy situation he landed himself in the next day. He could hear Bambam and Yugyeom laughing in the background through Jackson's phone line.

“It's not a date Jackson.” Mark protests back but it sounds like more of a whine.

“If it's not then what's the problem?” Jaebum asks on his line of the phone while munching on something crunchy like an apple.

“I don't know.” Mark gives up all hope in trying not to whine like a five-year-old.

“Mark, be honest with us. Do you like, like-like Jinyoung?” Bambam asks. “And uality is not a problem here.”

“Guys, you all know I don't like the idea of liking or loving someone romantically.” He answers back while plopping himself down on his bed. He turns to the side to look at his bedside lamp where his alarm clock was. 13:03.

“You never know~” Jackson pipes up with his tone slightly high pitched.

“ off.” Mark fires back hanging up on his friends. His friend was finding his situation hilarious, but there was nothing funny about this. Why would they keep insisting on him liking Jinyoung? But most importantly, why does he find himself hanging out with Jinyoung so nerve wracking? What makes Jinyoung so special? Shaking that thought off he gets up from his bed with his phone in hand. Hopefully watching television would help ease his mind of these thoughts. Just then his phone vibrated in his hand, looking at the incoming text it was from Jackson.

[ Sorry, took it too far. 13:06 ]

Ignoring his friend’s text he sat down on his couch while grabbing the remote control switching on his TV. Mark wasn’t mad at Jackson after his apology, but he wanted to have the young man feel guilty for pushing the matter too far. Perhaps this will stop the teasing for awhile. Besides, he’s pretty sure tomorrow morning Jackson’s going to come ringing his doorbell with breakfast to make it up to him.

He wasn’t wrong when Mark grumpily trudges to his front door swinging it open to an apologetic smile from Jackson the next morning. Opening the door wider to let Jackson in his best friend move on his own. Grabbing dishes and utensils from Mark’s kitchen as Mark made his way to the bathroom to freshen up. When he got back, Jackson had finished setting up breakfast at the kitchen island as he sat on one of the bar stool eating his share of the breakfast. Grabbing a seat beside Jackson he grabs for his wrapped sandwich. Opening it he took a bite of his sandwich as Jackson looks at him cautiously from the side.

“You can stop staring at me, Jackson. I’m not mad ever since yesterday when you apologized.”

Releasing a breath Jackson punches Mark on the arm slightly as Mark took another bite of his sandwich. “Dude if you’re not mad why didn’t you text back yesterday?!”

“Because I knew if I played my card right you’ll come today with breakfast.” Mark says with his mouth full giving his friend a grin as Jackson roll his eyes.

“Mark if you need breakfast because you can’t afford it just ask.” Jackson jokingly said as he laughs and continues to eat his sandwich. A nice calm silence settles in the room as they both ate in silence like many times before.

“So are you ready for your...plans today?” Jackson asks choosing his words carefully. Mark knew he was going to ask. Being Mark’s best friend meant making sure Mark was alright physically and emotionally.

“Honestly Jackson, I’m not sure. A part of me is terrified even though I’m not sure why and another part of me is excited. Is this weird?” Mark stares at his half eaten sandwich as he senses Jackson staring at him. Evaluating him before giving him an answer.

“No, it’s not Mark. I think you’ll understand soon enough.”

Looking up he turns to stare at his best friend who went back to eating his sandwich. “What do you mean Jackson? You know something and you’re not telling me?”

Shrugging his shoulders Jackson grabs his coffee drink before taking a sip to down his content down his stomach. “I don’t think you want me to give you an answer Mark. It’s something you have to find out for yourself.”

Raising his eyebrows up curiously he watches Jackson for awhile before dropping any further pestering. His best friend may be all jokes most of the time, but he was a kind hearted soul who knew when things should be left unsaid until the right timing comes. And if he said it was something Mark needed to find out for himself then he will.

 

 


Sorry for the long wait you guys! Sorry for any grammatical errors and comments as welcome. (: