Chapter 01

Picking up his fallen daisies

Mark was a realist. He learned that love was not forever when he was just sixteen years old when his parents decided to divorce. When he reached eighteen Mark accepted the fact that love comes with pain from watching countless heartbreaks from friends and family. He came to a conclusion to stay away from love. Why bother loving someone when you know it will end eventually and all it will bring is pain afterward?

So in the year of 2017, Mark Tuan, who was twenty-three years old (turning twenty-four this year) has been single since birth and he intended to keep it that way. It just so happens that his best friend, Jackson Wang, had turned twenty-three as of today and the young latter insisted on going out to the club.

“It'll be fun, there's going to be lots of people and liquor which I'm sure you'll find someone to pay for you easily.” Jackson had smirked on the last part when he tried to persuade Mark on going out with their friends. It wasn't what Jackson had said that had got Mark to go. He simply didn't want to be the party spoiler of their group. Bambam and Yugyeom (the two youngest of their group) was Jackson’s two party animal sidekick who was going for sure. They wouldn't miss having a night of fun for the world. Meanwhile, Jaebum was always down for a time to drink some liquor with his friends. So that always left Mark being the odd one out for never wanting to go anywhere that was loud, dark, and sweaty. But today he didn't want to upset his best friend special day. So when he agreed, Jackson danced around his apartment living room like an idiot before Bambam threw a pillow at his face. That got Yugyeom and Jaebum to erupt into laughter even eliciting a few laughs out of Mark as well.

Bambam took the courtesy to dress up Mark. Getting him to wear black skinny jeans (which Bambam insisted it brings out Mark’s skinny yet strong legs), a white tank top, a black fitted blazer, a pair of black formal pointed shoes, and last but not least accessories consisting of a silver watch and silver cross necklace.

“Is it really necessary for me to dress like this?” Mark questions once he looked at himself in the mirror. From the way he sees it, Bambam was the only person besides himself dressed too fancy for a club.

“Nonsense, it's your first time in a long while that you hit the club. So, of course, you need to look good.” Bambam answers while fixing his recently dyed red hair by the mirror.

“Besides, I think all of us...well besides Jackson hyung are counting on you to get us free drinks.” Yugyeom added sheepishly with a grin.

“Hey, you punk I don't need help.” Jaebum pipes up beside Yugyeom who was sitting on Mark’s bed. Ignoring Jaebum’s words, Yugyeom looks at his watch before walking out to Mark’s kitchen. “I think it's almost time to head out. Jackson said we need to take a shot before we leave.” Jaebum spoke while following after Yugyeom meanwhile Bambam trails after him out the door. Sighing to himself Mark grabs his wallet and phone slipping them into his pants back pockets before closing his bedroom door behind him.

Right when Mark came out of the hallway Jackson called him over, “Mark! Just in time to do a shot with us!” Raising his eyebrow suspiciously Mark went to his kitchen island table where everyone was gathered. Standing in between Jackson and Bambam he goes to reach for the only shot glass filled with vodka. Lifting it up to his nose he took a sniff before taking note of just how strong it smelled to him.

After that, he looks up at the guys smiling at him, “Okay, I can only guess Jackson is the one who brought these shot glasses and the vodka.”

“Guilty as charge,” grinning Jackson raise his shot glass up, “cheers to my birthday and to our boy here going to the club!” As everyone raises their shot glass Mark did as follow and downed his drink in one go like everyone else. That only had him having a coughing fit as the alcohol runs down his throat. Feeling the burn he looks at Bambam with a grimace.

“It’ll get better buddy.” Bambam pats his back with word of encouragement.

“Hey, I’m your hyung treat me with more respect.” Mark lashes back as Bambam can only laugh knowing Mark was just playing around. Mark didn’t mind if Bambam and Yugyeom talk to him without addressing him ‘hyung’ unlike Jaebum. “Hey, if we all drink who’s going to be our designated driver?”

“Oh Markie, that’s why we’re calling a cab.” Jackson pipes up putting a hand on his shoulder. “Speaking of which the cab driver should be here any minute. So everyone, grab your things because we’re heading out!”

Forty-five minutes later Mark was in a nightclub called Mystic Moon as Bambam told him when he asked. When they first got there they got another round of drinks before they all dragged Mark to the dance floor. The action reminded Mark all the reasons why he disliked the nightclubs. Everybody's sweaty body due to the strong colorful lights beaming down at them hard pressing against each other. Pressing against him. He only lasted for ten minutes before excusing himself to the bar where he took a seat on a stool.

“A Shirley Temple.” Mark orders as the bartender nod his head before beginning to whip up his drink.

“Not feeling crazy tonight huh?” Someone asks him as they took a seat beside Mark at the bar. Turning towards the stranger Mark found himself sitting beside a handsome man with black raven hair. “One Bourbon on the rocks please.” He orders before turning sideways to look at Mark with a small smile. “I’m Park Jinyoung.”

Looking away from the man Mark was thankful that the bartender had come over at this moment to slide the drink towards Mark, giving him an excuse to not talk to the man sitting beside him. He heard the man chuckle before he took his drink in his hand and took a sip of his drink. The cold drink helped cool off his body nicely even for just a little. his lips after the sweet drink he glanced over at the male who had just taken his glass of Bourbon to his lips before taking a drink of it. Mark was definitely not checking him out and he was not about to start up a conversation with this guy. Just then he was saved by Jackson who ran up to his side being louder than usual to be heard over the loud music.

“Mark! You just ran off to get a drink without the birthday boy?” Jackson asks motioning for the bartender, “A Classic Martini bartender!” Turning his attention back to Mark he noticed his drink as his face fell slightly. “Dude, a Shirley Temple? Really? After all the trouble we’ve gone through to get you here?” Jackson whines as Mark ignored his best friend.

“I think it’s his style.” The black raven hair named Jinyoung pipes up interrupting the conversation Jackson and Mark were having. Raising his eyebrow in question, Jackson takes a look at Mark before looking at Jinyoung.

“I’m sorry, who are you?”

“Terribly sorry that was rude of me. The name’s Park Jinyoung.” Jinyoung introduces himself meanwhile taking out his hand to shake hands with Jackson. Mark’s best friend practically flash a huge smile out of pure joy with this news.

“Jackson Wang and no don’t be sorry! I’m sorry! I didn’t know Mark had company over here. I should probably get back to the other guys and let you guys talk some more.” Before Mark has a chance to say anything Jackson gave him a wink before scurrying back to the middle of the dance floor.

“Your friend left his drink behind.” Jinyoung says a while after as the bartender set down Jackson’s Classic Martini between Mark and Jinyoung. Shrugging his shoulders Mark pushes the drink towards Jinyoung.

“Here you can have it.”

“Your first few words to me is to buy me a drink? Coming off strong don’t you think?” Jinyoung asks with a chuckle as Mark rolls his eyes.

“I’m not buying it for you if the drink is free to begin with.”

“You’re feisty.”

“Take the drink or leave it.” Mark replies as Jinyoung takes the drink in his hands before downing the liquid leaving the olives with the metal toothpick in the glass. Mark watches him in interest as Jinyoung seem to be sticking around way longer than anyone else at the club who had tried talking to him.

“So,” Jinyoung asks while wiping his mouth with the back of his hands, “it doesn’t look like you want to be here at the nightclub. So I must ask why are you here exactly in the first place?”

“I don’t think we’re that close to discuss this matter.” Mark says while taking another sip of his drink.

“But if you don’t talk how else are we going to get close to discuss that matter?” Jinyoung replies back, Mark was about to open his mouth to retort back but falls silent. Jinyoung was right in a way. How else?

How else are you going to make friends if you don’t give them the chance to talk to you?

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Mark turns to Jinyoung who eyes him curiously. He closes his eyes and sighs because he was right and he was going to regret his next move.

“Jackson, the guy you met earlier is my best friend and it so happens to be his birthday. I figured I could go out just this once and make him happy.” Mark answers as Jinyoung nod his head in understanding.

“But you’re not enjoying yourself?” Jinyoung asks a minute later as Mark motions his hand for Jinyoung to take a look at their surrounding.

“I’m at a bar away from the sweaty bodies pressing up against me. I at least think I am a little bit happier.” That seems to had been funny to Jinyoung as he laughs throwing his head back slightly as Mark could feel a tug on the corner of his lips. Looking away from Jinyoung he silently finishes his drink as Jinyoung dies down from his laugh.

“You have no idea how much I agree with you on that sentence. I’m here out with my friends, but the pool of bodies pressing besides you is not ideal.” Jinyoung explains as he turns around in his stool to look out at the sea of bodies dancing on the dance floor. A minute later he was waving someone over as he turns to look at Mark. “I’ll be back in a bit Mark.” With that, he was off being engulfed by the sea of people as Mark stares after him out of surprised. He was surprised that Jinyoung had remembered his name when Jackson had shouted his name once earlier. Waving the bartender over Mark was about to order another Shirley Temple but decides otherwise.

“One Vodka Mojito please.” As the bartender nods his head to get started on his drink Jinyoung took back his seat beside Mark when someone took an empty seat beside Jinyoung.

“Mark this is Choi Youngjae one of my friends I came here with. Do you mind if he joins us to get a drink?” Jinyoung asks with a smile as Mark shrug his shoulders nonchalantly. He wanted to curse at himself for acting like a jerk. Mark hadn’t even known he was enjoying Jinyong’s company up until now. Besides, meeting more than one new person was more than Mark could handle.

“I’m Choi Youngjae!” The young male shouted at Mark while extending his hand out. Hesitating Mark takes Youngjae hands in his before shaking his hands.

“Mark Tuan.” He says all too quietly for a person to hear at a nightclub. Youngjae furrow his brows having a hard time hearing the male speak.

“I’m sorry what was your name again?”

Sighing Mark was slightly irritated and was about to repeat himself a bit louder when Jinyoung cuts in repeating what Mark has said. Youngjae nodded his head with a smile, “Nice to meet you, Mark!” Mark was all too glad that Jinyoung had stepped in and helped him out. Youngjae was now shouting at the bartender for his order as Jinyoung looks at Mark.

“Thanks, Jinyoung for earlier.” Mark says glad that the dark nightclub was hiding his growing red cheeks. Jinyoung gave him a genuine smile before speaking.

“No need, you looked like you were about to whack my friend there and we don’t want that to happen.” Jinyoung says playfully before adding on to his sentence. “But by all means, I get it, to you making new friends is hard to do.” Mark could only nod as Jinyoung goes back to talking to Youngjae as the bartender slide the drink he orders earlier to him.
“Not a Shirley Temple, does this mean your night is getting better?” Jinyoung asks noticing Mark’s Vodka Mojito.

“You could say that.” Mark answers as Jinyoung throws him a smile clearly liking what Mark had said. The night went off with Jinyoung including Mark in the conversation he and Youngjae were having until Mark friends and Jinyoung friends came looking for them at the bar. Mark had to introduce Jaebum, Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom to Jinyoung and his friends as he stuttered a bit feeling the pressure to talk. Jinyoung introduced his group of friends consisting of Youngjae, Wonpil, Young K, and Sunmi. It seems the two group had become one big group of friends as the minute goes by. Yugyeom and Bambam had dragged Youngjae off to the dance floor to show off their moves. Meanwhile, Jackson was in a deep conversation with Wonpil and Young K about drinking organic green tea. Jaebum and Sunmi where at the bar near Mark talking about bucket hats that they both seem to like wearing.

“I’m glad I found someone else that seems to appreciate bucket hats.” Jaebum says as Sunmi laughs and nods her head in agreement. Mark’s attention was brought away from the two when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Turning around he found Jinyoung sitting beside him like before with two drinks in his hands.

“Here this is for you.” Jinyoung sticks out a glass of Bourbon he had had before. “I figured your type of drink needed an upgrade after how well the night seems to be going.” Taking the drink in his hands they both clanked their drinks together. “To making new friends.”

Repeating after Jinyoung they both downed their drinks together in one go. Did Mark regret talking to Jinyoung after all? Probably not as he mimics back a smile Jinyoung was giving him. Besides Yugyeom was right, he got a free drink at the club after all.

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors! Comments are much welcome! (: