Hugs and Kisses by London9Calling

Drowsy Science

Minseok pushed the uneven wooden door open, coughing at the dust that invaded his already beleaguered lungs. He limped inside the dark cottage, Baekhyun’s hands practically glued to his shoulders as he walked. Lu Han was outside by the carriage, gathering their luggage (if you could call the haphazard parts of a time machine and some salvaged personal items luggage).

“Didn’t you have have someone clean this place now and then?” Baekhyun coughed at the dusty interior.

“I did, but I never checked their work,” Minseok answered, frowning at the accumulated dust and grime.

Lu Han was huffing when he carried the first load of items into the cottage, his labored breathing acting as a reminder to Minseok that he was doing all of the work alone.

“Let me help you.”

“No, you’re injured,” Lu Han turned down his offer of help, but gave Baekhyun a pointed stare.

Baekhyun yawned and turned away, ignoring the silent plea for help.

Lu Han didn't press the matter further.

Minseok limped further into the cottage. He periodically stopped to tugged off the once bright white sheets, now a muddy cream color, covering the furniture in the sitting room.

He would have to make due with this dusty, dark old place. His family had owned it for well over a century. It was originally a grace and favor cottage for the senior household servants that had grown too old to continue to work for the family. Minseok hadn’t kept a full staff at the estate and neither had his father, leaving the cottage to stand neglected for decades. Now it would be his homebase, at least until the estate could be cleaned up to the point where it was inhabitable.

His first order of business was to reassemble the machine. He had limited time before he ran out of the medication that would keep him alert, he needed to have the machine working before he slipped into days of sleep.

“I want people food,” Baekhyun whined.

Minseok sighed. “You’ll have to ask Lu Han, unless you go get it yourself.”

Baekhyun looked appropriately mortified at walking around town alone, which lead him to beg Lu Han (who was still hauling in machine parts) to fetch him something to eat.

Lu Han reluctantly agreed, setting of directly after bringing in the last of the luggage.

“Help me carry these into the dining room,” Minseok instructed, pointing towards the disassembled machine. This time Baekhyun didn’t balk at helping.

“You really have a thing for setting this up in strange places, don’t you,” Baekhyun muttered.

“It’s the only room that will work here.”

They spent the better part of an hour moving the pieces. Minseok bit back the pain that seared up his leg with every step, getting worse the more he moved.

Once they had completed their task, Minseok lowered himself to the bare floor, stretching his leg out in front of him and massaging it.

“Minseok?” Baekhyun said quietly, taking a seat next to his best friend.

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry for...well, you know.” Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck and looked away.

Minseok knew what he was referring to; the time he had used the machine without permission and ended up a rat “You don’t need to be sorry.” Minseok thought if anyone should be sorry it should be him. He was the one that built the device that allowed the accident to happen. Everything after that, the failed business partners, Baekhyun’s plight, what happened to Lu Han -- he was the person who had given it all an opportunity to occur, ultimately he was the one to blame.

“No, actually I do need to apologize. I mean, I peed on your time machine more than once, also on your bed, and your favorite jacket. Listen, it is really hard being a rat and not having a proper bathroom, especially when you insisted on carrying me around constantly.”

“You did what?!” Minseok glared at his best friend.

“But I’ve missed you so much! Isn’t it great having me back!” Baekhyun grabbed his friend and pulled him into a tight hug.

Minseok swallowed his anger and hugged Baekhyun back. Yes , it was wonderful to have his best friend back again.

Baekhyun’s stomach grumbled, loud enough for Minseok to hear.

“I wonder where Lu Han got off too,” Minseok said, moving away from the hug he struggled to his feet. He had directed the man to go to the small inn a street over, it shouldn’t take him more than half an hour to secure basic provisions.

“Maybe he got lost,” Baekhyun offered, holding out his arm for Minseok to steady himself.

“I highly doubt a person who has travelled to the south pole and back would get lost in such a tiny village,” Minseok muttered. He limped towards the front door, Baekhyun following. When he opened the door he heard a commotion. It didn’t sound violent or angry, but boisterous. Raised voices, chatter, was coming from down the lane.

Minseok hobbled out to the main road with Baekhyun's help. He snorted at the sight before him.

Lu Han was surrounded by a dozen admirers, villagers who had no doubt heard of the famous adventurer's exploits through weekly periodicals. Girls with stars in their eyes, men who stared at him adoringly for his bravery and perseverance, and Lu Han basking in their love, a smug look on his face.

“Your boyfriend is famous.” Baekhyun whistled.

“He isn't my boyfriend,” Minseok responded, continuing to watch the energetic crowd making their way towards his cottage. Lu Han was eating it all up, smiling and nodding as he was peppered with words of love. Minseok sighed.

“How are you going to get any work done with Lu Han’s fan club? I am sure they aren’t going to scatter to in the wind the moment he returns,” Baekhyun remarked, sounding more than a little jealous.

Minseok frowned. Baekhyun had a point.

When Lu Han neared the cottage his fans caught sight of Minseok. The atmosphere shifted, smiles were replaced by frowns. He heard whispers, no doubt they were remarking on the reclusive madman who lived outside of town, the man whose estate had burned nearly to the ground the night before.

Minseok shrugged off the disapproving stares and gossip. He had to do something to drive Lu Han’s admirers off, and do it quickly so they could all get to work. Without completely thinking through the repercussions of his actions he limped forward, towards the famous adventurer, deciding on just the trick to get his fan club to scatter.

Lu Han’s hangers-on moved away the closer Minseok got, all staring at him with a mixture of awe and fear. Minseok could care less, he kept his eyes trained on Lu Han, who gave him a puzzled look.

Minseok smirked. He hurried the last few steps between him and Lu Han, hobbling forward until he was pressed into the adventure, his arms around his neck. Without a word he pressed his lips to Lu Han’s, a chorus of whispers surrounding the pair. Lu Han seemed too shocked to reciprocate, keeping his lips closed but not pushing away.

When Minseok broke the kiss the townspeople were already retreating, likely terrified at what the madman would do, likely wondering about Lu Han’s relationship with him.

“Welcome home, dear,” Minseok whispered, chuckling at Lu Han’s wide eyed expression.