Common Interests (by London9Calling)

Drowsy Science

Minseok could barely make out the words coming from the mysterious caller, catching only a select few. Something about family, a timeline...and hot?

Baekhyun’s response, however, he could hear quite clearly. “It is Baekhyun, not Minseok, and yes, I am attractive. I fully admit it.”

When the rapping on the front door began (nearly ten minutes ago) the two friends had argued who would answer it. Minseok said to leave it, Baekhyun was curious who could be calling at this ungodly hour (Minseok reasoned that it was someone up to no good as it was far too early to call on a person if one operated by the rules of polite society). Baekhyun won the argument and made his way to the front door, Minseok hanging back in the drawing room, sipping his morning tea.

“Perhaps but I am not a rat, sir! I can assure you of that,” was the next outburst Minseok heard from his friend before his words became hushed, Minseok no longer able to discern what he was talking about. A few minutes passed where all Minseok could make out was the low noise of a conversation he wasn’t meant to hear. It was strange.

Curious what was going on, he stood and meandered towards the entryway. Minseok had one foot on the black and white tiled floor of the entrance hall when Baekhyun stood aside and opened the door widely, revealing their guest.

He stood framed in the morning light, his hair carefully styled back to reveal fine features. He was easy on the eyes and he was also familiar. It was the man he had met at the apothecary and then again when he returned his book. He looked past Baekhyun, eyes locking with Minseok’s. An unsettling feeling overcame Minseok at the gaze.

“Minseok,” Baekhyun exclaimed when he noticed Minseok standing there. “My old friend…”

“Lu Han,” the man said firmly.

“Yes, my old friend Lu Han, is here to visit,” Baekhyun said cheerfully, ushering the other man inside. “Kim Minseok is the one I told you about, Lu Han.”

Minseok stood awkwardly in the entrance to the drawing room, pondering the odd exchange he had just witnessed. “How do you know each other?” he queried. He thought he knew all Baekhyun’s friends, they were his friends as well, after all.

“Our fathers were friends,” Lu Han answered quickly.

Baekhyun nodded in agreement. “We were just having morning tea. Minseok, I wager it is acceptable if Lu Han joins us? I had told him where to call on me when I was in town, it had slipped my mind completely to notify you.”

Minseok glanced at the stranger. “I suppose.”

Lu Han offered him a small smile which only served to increase the uneasy feeling.

The three men retreated to the drawing room, Minseok and Baekhyun reclaiming their seats while Lu Han chose to sit on the settee to Minseok’s right.

“You said we had met a few years back,” Minseok said softly. “Was Baekhyun there?” Minseok looked at Baekhyun after asking the question, noting that his friend looked at Lu Han with wide eyes.

“Um. No, he was--” Lu Han started, only to have Baekhyun finish for him.

“I was on the continent at the time. Surely you remember when I took my grand tour,” Baekhyun glanced at Minseok.

Minseok nodded. “Yes, I do.” How could he forget, Baekhyun had nagged him for a solid year to accompany him, caring little for Minseok’s excuses.

“Ahhhh,” Baekhyun bolted up, snapping his fingers. “I forgot, I have somewhere I must...go, or something. Yes, very important engagement. Totally slipped my mind. Minseok, please keep Lu Han company for me.” He hurried from the room, moving so quickly Minseok didn’t even get to protest. The shuffling of Baekhyun’s coat and the slam of the front door followed a few seconds later, his friend gone before he could comprehend what was happening.

Minseok blinked in confusion. Baekhyun and an appointment? Not bloody likely, especially not in the morning. He hated doing anything productive before four in the afternoon. It was a trait that made Minseok periodically regret keeping him company, especially at a time like this, when he needed to work as quickly and as efficiently as possible regardless of the time of day.

The atmosphere was suddenly extremely awkward. Neither man said anything for almost a minute after Baekhyun left. It was Lu Han who finally broke the silence.

“You have a lovely home,” he commented.

“Um, thank you,” Minseok stared into his tea cup. “I don’t make it to the city very often, I detest the hustle and bustle.”

“I agree. I much prefer the country living to the city.” Lu Han sounded cheerful. Minseok looked over at him to find the man smiling brightly.

“There is something about an ancestral country manor that is comfortable,” Lu Han added.

“Where is your family's home?” Minseok inquired, having never heard of the Lu family before.

“Another thing I enjoy is science,” Lu Han ignored Minseok’s question, changing the topic.

“You like science?” Minseok didn’t often meet anyone that shared his passion. “I enjoy the subject as well.”

“Amazing. I bet we have a lot in common.” Another smile.

“Perhaps,” Minseok went back to staring at his floral-patterned tea cup. “It is unusual to meet another person interested in scientific theory.”

“Indeed, I feel the same. You know, this may sound crazy but I believe time isn’t linear. That there are many places like ours but not, that we aren’t the only versions of ourselves,” Lu Han mused. “It does sound crazy, doesn't it?” he asked sheepishly.

“No, not at all!” Minseok was suddenly extremely interested. He sat up straighter, mind reeling. “That is like something I’ve been theorizing for a few years now.” He had to stop short of revealing why it interested him. If this man could be of help to him the last thing he could risk was driving him away with the knowledge of his family’s curse.

“My dream is to one day build a machine that could act like a portal to time, that could circumvent the nonlinear nature of time and space,” Lu Han said excitedly. “But alas, I fear that the world would reject me for thinking of such a thing, not to mention I doubt I have the talents to complete such a contraption.” Lu Han frowned.

Minseok stared at the man next to him. This man believed the same thing, concluded the same thing Minseok had. The uneasy feeling was now replaced with a surge of hopefulness unlike any Minseok had experienced. He blurted it out before he had time to consider the consequences. “I have made notes on the theory. Would you like to see them?”“Very much so, “Lu Han answered, looking as excited as Minseok felt.