Isn't there a book like this?

Drowsy Science

It really was too easy. Lu Han blindly followed him up the stairs to the attic, not once questioning if what he was telling him was the truth. All Minseok had to do was let the adventurer walk into the dark and musty room first, then shut and lock the door after him.

Lu Han quickly caught on, rushing the door and pounding on it. But by that time Minseok was already halfway down the winding staircase to the second floor, the key to the attic tucked into his front pocket for safekeeping.

He wasn’t about to trust a man he had killed. It didn’t make any sense. If anyone were to harbor ill will towards himself it would most certainly be someone like Lu Han, someone he murdered.

Of course Lu Han had proven useful, assuming he was telling the truth. Kim Jongin was seemingly a key to the entire mystery, at least according to random notes Minseok had found from years prior. Of course he couldn't remember writing them due to the incident with the machine. But Kim Jongin had most definitely not shown up at his doorstep as a crazed young man, that was all a lie to lure Lu Han into the attic.

Minseok took his time getting back to the dining room, knowing full well that Yixing and Junmyeon would still be there. Yixing would likely be half in his cups by then, egged on by Junmyeon and flustered by the information Lu Han discovered about him.

It had taken Minseok every ounce of acting talent he had to pretend like he hadn’t known of Yixing’s past when Lu Han had started shouting about it. And again, it wasn’t because he remembered it that he knew but because his servant hadn’t been a lying . He had taken care of Minseok after the incident that wiped his memory, solidifying their now unshakable bond.

True, Yixing was an opportunist, but he wasn’t soulless. He had cared for Minseok after the accident, at a time when Yixing’s coffers dried up due to one too many bad investments. He was broke and the only person who didn't hate him was Kim Minseok. It just so happened Kim Minseok needed help and Yixing was there to provide it and from then on out they were inseparable.

Yixing was a natural when it came to being a lackey. He had all of the habits of an upper class gentleman and an endless need of wealth. He would do whatever Minseok needed him to do for the right price and complain little of it.

And he was honest. He had told Minseok all about how they had met before he lost his memory. Or at least most of it….he had left out the bit about Lu Han being there.

Minseok found Junmyeon and Yixing talking in the dining room, the servant having bowed down to Junmyeon’s will and taken a seat at the large dining table. An empty wine bottle was in front of him, a sign of his inebriation.

When Yixing noticed Minseok standing in the doorway to the dining room he stood, hand knocking against the wine bottle, sending it on its side to roll down the table. The servant was well aware Minseok could care less he was drinking, or that he had let Junmyeon go. Yixing would know Minseok preferred to deal with Junmyeon himself, not have his servant hold him for some undetermined reason dictated by Lu Han. He was also well aware Kim Junmyeon would not be going anywhere anytime soon, not until he caused at least another bit of trouble.

“You met Lu Han before,” Minseok said matter-of-factly, locking eyes with Yixing.

“I- yes. But I can explain!” Yixing looked flustered. “I didn’t see the point in telling you about a man who disappeared. I never knew that…”

“You didn't say a word when I murdered him,” Minseok pointed out.

“Ah yes, about that.” Yixing rubbed the back of his neck. “Sir, you know I am not a scientist. I have no way of understanding how or why things happen the way they do but the Lu Han I met years ago, he seemed to be the Lu Han from here. I didn't want to interfere and change anything…”

“Understandable.” Minseok accepted his servant’s explanation. He turned towards Junmeyon and sighed. “You, on the other hand, are incorrigible.”

Junmyeon smiled widely. “I have no idea what you are talking about, old boy.”

Minseok took a seat next to Yixing, grabbing one of the half finished wine bottles and taking a swig. “You knew I would murder Lu Han. You lied about being my father. And now I am trying to find a very good reason not to murder you.”

“We’re family,” Junmyeon replied. “It would be a shame if you murdered your own flesh and blood.”

“Hmm, right. A shame.” Minseok didn’t agree with his logic. He took another drink, pondering his next move.

He heard a skittering of feet on the floor. It was Baekhyun, come to join in the meeting. He had hopped off Minseok’s shoulder somewhere between the first floor and when he had locked Lu Han up.

The rodent clawed his way up Minseok’s leg, the latter helping him up, setting him on the table. Baekhyun squeaked incessantly, unusual behavior for the rat.

“What is it?” Minseok asked, fully knowing he wouldn't get an answer.

More squeaks.

Yixing suddenly stood. “I smell smoke!”

Minseok took a whiff, the acrid odor hitting him full on. He was on his feet in a second, Baekhyun barely managing to claw onto his arm and onto his shoulder before he was upright.

A wave of heat hit the dining room. Fire.

Minseok panicked, rushing towards the doorway. When he reached the hall he could see that the staircase was in flames, the fire spreading rapidly.

“Save the machine!” he screamed.

“What about Lu Han?” Yixing asked, standing right behind him, a look of sheer panic on his face.

“I said the machine!” Minseok yelled, heading towards the ballroom.

From somewhere behind him he could hear Junmyeon calmly musing, “Wasn’t there a book like this? Ahh, of course! You need to go to the roof, but alas you will become blind. But never fear, Jane Eyre will return to you!”

Minseok dashed towards the ballroom, his life’s work literally about to go up in flames.