There's a leaf in your hair

The Most Beautiful Moment(s) in Life

“There's a leaf in your hair.”

Jungkook looked up, startled. “Huh?”

“There's a leaf - wait - let me-” The boy plucked the leaf from Jungkook's brown locks, and twirled it in his fingers.

“I wonder which branch it fell from?” the boy said quietly, more to himself than to Jungkook. He looked up at the large oak tree Jungkook was sitting under, taking in the vast extent of its branches.

“Here,” the boy said, handing Jungkook the leaf.

“Uh, thanks?”

The boy hummed. “I'm Yoongi by the way, nice to meet you.”

“Jungkook,” he offered in return.

“Have you ever seen a leaf fall from a tree?”

“What?”

“Have you -”

“Hasn't everyone? I mean, look they're falling right now.”

“No, I mean, have you ever seen the exact moment the leaf breaks away from the branch? The exact moment when it begins to fall?”

After moment, Jungkook replied, “No, I guess I haven't.”

“Me neither, but I'd love to see it.” The boy - Yoongi - returned his gaze to the tree tops, watching the leaves. Jungkook, in turn, watched Yoongi. Jungkook had seen him around school before - he was kind of known as the kid who sleeps in every lesson, but here by the tree, he looked so different. His usually lifeless eyes were full of wonder, and his pale complexion seemed to glow in the warm sunlight. The wind gently tousled his light brown hair. Jungkook thought he looked breathtakingly beautiful.

 

“Is there a leaf in my hair too or something?”

“What?”

“You were staring.”

“Oh, uh, I was?” Jungkook avoided eye contact.

Yoongi laughed quietly. “You’re cute.”

Jungkook felt his ears and cheeks blush pink.

“Well,” Yoongi said, “I think I need to go. See you around, Jungkook.” He flashed Jungkook a pretty smile before he left. Jungkook remained where he was, momentarily frozen.

“What just happened?" he said to himself, twirling the leaf between his fingers.