; REVEL

Crowned Prince [ MONSTA X ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

REMEMBER THAT THE CROWN ON YOUR HEAD IS NOT A SYMBOL OF ROYALTY.
IT IS A SYMBOL OF SOMEONE WHO GIVES THEMSELF UP FOR THEIR COUNTRY.
 

Changkyun stood at the end of the hall, tugging on the sleeves of his expensive shirt, hidden beneath his cloak. His boots squeaked against the pristine floor as he slowly walked down the hallway. Standing at the end was a face in which he had grown up with.

The other male wore a less appealing dark green uniform that reflected his lower station; that of Changkyun’s personal servant. He stood with his hands folded behind his back, a slow smile turning up in the corners of his lips.

“Well, well, well aren’t you a sight to behold.” The dark haired male stepped forward and brushed his hand across Changkyun’s shoulder, flattening out any creases. “A real ladies man.”

“I feel overdressed Kihyun.” Changkyun uttered disinterested. 

“In comparison to others, such as myself, you are.” Kihyun dropped his hand down and stepped back, looking directly up at the prince. If he was in a public situation, such boldness was considered offensive, especially to someone of high status.

“Would you like to wear this…drape?” Changkyun gestured to the heavy cloak he wore. Within the cloth he felt a little too warm; this didn’t help since he already was nervous about heading down into the ballroom.

“I think that I must politely decline. I wouldn’t want to distract people with my rugged good looks as you walk down the stairs,” Kihyun teasingly winked.

“What in tarnation?” Changkyun murmured quietly to himself, feeling his face begin to burn as another sudden heat brushed over him.

Heavy footsteps pounded the floor behind him and he watched as Kihyun’s mischievous smile faded and he placed his hands in front of himself.

“Changkyun!” he heard the sound of his father’s voice behind him. His heart jerked heavily in his chest as he turned around to face the older man. 

“Father,” he spoke respectfully, watching from the corner of his eye as Kihyun moved to the side. His father’s gaze slid towards the servant, staring down at him as he straightened his own robes.

“I need to speak with my son privately,” he stated firmly.

“Yes, my liege,” was the response before Kihyun ventured off to attend to his duties. Once they were alone in the wide hall, his father placed his hands gently on his shoulders.

“A lot of people are going to be here tonight, various families have brought gifts in celebration of your upcoming coronation.”

“I understand,” the young prince nodded his head once.

“Others will have different traditions in their kingdom such as the Chae family. Be careful not to disrespect any of their customs. I believe there are three or four children representing the family, you’d be wise to befriend one of them,” his father continued to explain; his voice was soft yet hard.

“How will I know who is –”

“The king has yet to choose his heir,” the king interrupted him, “believe me you’ll know when you see them. Furthermore, you will accept any gift, no matter how strange. What I’m trying to say is, don’t bring dishonour to this family.” Changkyun’s skin crawled at the thought of letting his father down. He found that his chest felt tighter and it became difficult to breathe. He inhaled deeply, casting his gaze to the floor.

“Of course.”

“Only enter when you’re called.” He felt his father’s hands slip away from his shoulders, and stalk away from him. He his lower lip, peering around the echoing halls before he himself shuffled along the floor in the direction of the doorway that led to the ballroom.

Even from outside the open door, he could hear the sound of gentle music playing. His back rested against the wall, his dark hair loosely resting in his eyes. As he was the subject of the party he was required to be the last one who entered the room; something in which he wasn’t looking forward to.

“Are you sure they arrived on time? I don’t want to be the only one who hasn’t presented the guest of honour a gift,” he heard a voice say from the opposing hall. He looked up seeing a male, adorned in expensive jewels and robes, walk towards the entrance of the ballroom.

“You needn’t worry milord, everything is set in place,” his apparent servant responded.

“Excellent,” the male nodded his head. As he drew closer to the doorway, Changkyun could see the fine details embedded on his dark purple robes. It was obvious that he was of high station. His clothing almost seemed to be of much finer quality than that of his own.

He glanced down at the emerald suit that he wore and stood up straighter. He ran his fingers through his hair, brushing it back from his eyes. His gaze locked with the wealthy male, who stared down at him.

“Are you going in?” the stranger asked him. Changkyun stared at the door where the captain of the guard stood, ready to announce names as they descended into the room below.

“Oh…no…I’m just waiting –”

“Very well,” he was quickly cut off. Changkyun didn’t have the confidence to say anything in regards to the male’s hastiness and slunk back against the wall and watched as the male walked to the doorway, passing over a piece of parchment, which was his invitation.
 
Changkyun didn’t pay much attention to the male’s name and simply looked across at the servant that had been with him. The servant stood with a guard, whose clothing bore the symbol of another kingdom; Validien.

He had memorised the name in his studies. It was an affluent country that was known for its rare jewels and lush lands. Changkyun knew that his father traded with them for their expensive silks and lace.

“We best hope that the gifts were delivered accordingly, otherwise we’ll never hear the end of it,” he he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter