Honesty

The fault in your star (moving)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

******

 

In a secluded corridor of the bustling midday hospital Minho found some quiet, enough to make that one important call. He dialled the number and it seemed to ring for an entire eternity, not that he knows how long an eternity is but it felt like a void in space where the sense of time disappears and any sound is devoured by the never ending hollow. His heart stoped with the ring.

“Hello Minho. I’ve been waiting for your call. How is our Eunji now?”

“Hello Sir. She is doing well. She responded well to the treatment and has been recovering her aura everyday! The doctors have said that she can wake up anytime now.”

“That’s great news! I’m so relieved to hear that. Did the police find out how the accident happened?”

“The police have confirmed our suspicions. It was due to a planned engine failure. From the accounts of an eye witness, Eunji‘s car broke down in Daejeon and had to be sent for repair. The mechanics should have figured the cause for the break down to be overheating. What’s made the police suspicious was the main mechanic who operated on her car at the Daejeon gas station seemed to have quit after that day and was originally registered under a fake name and ID so the police are having a hard time in tracking him down. Also, as per Jinki, it seems like Eunji wasn’t hurt at all by the engine failure. She must’ve used her powers to shield herself from the damage. But a magic similar to mine was used on her. The person has to be strong enough to break through her defence magic. Whoever it is we need to be careful. They seem to be very powerful.” Minho’s fists were clenched tight while he tried to maintain a normal tone.

“Can we trust Jinki on his account? Also, since the time you’ve mentioned that he can use his powers, I’ve been wondering, did he speak to the police beforehand by any chance? If you want I can try to find out his whereabouts for that day.”

Minho hadn’t considered that possibility. Am I trusting him because a part of wants to believe he is innocent? Or is it because he used his powers on me without me realising it? No I would’ve known if that was the case. “No Sir, I’ve checked on him already. He was at the hospital all day and sadly there are too many eye witnesses including patients who he hasn’t been tending to. He needs personal contact to use his powers so I guess that rules him out for now.” He still wasn’t entire sure how much of what Jinki told him was true.

“What about his faction? Or his friends? He has been underground since the incident so I haven’t heard anything about him yet. And we mustn’t forget what he did to his former leader. Frankly, I don’t trust him Minho and nor should you.”

Minho knew he was right. Jinki hasn’t provided proof of anything he has said till now. He didn’t know how much of it was true and how Jinki had managed to recover his powers before he met Taemin. There were so many questions that were unanswered that Minho wasn’t sure who to trust anymore. “Trust your heart and let it lead you.” That’s right! Hyung told me to follow my heart. I think I’m beginning to understand what he meant then. A part of me wants to trust in Jinki’s innocence. But I will still keep an eye on him.

“Minho are you still there?”

“Yes, I’m sorry. I was thinking about what you just said. You are right we know nothing about him right now so it isn’t wise to trust him completely. But the Doctor Jinki can be trusted. He did help us save Eunji by telling us to call the healers. Without them she would’ve...! In any case, I will continue being cautious. Till then I entrust the case to you Sir. You’ve taken such good care of hyung when everyone forgot him. Please help out Eunji too.” Minho bowed his head deeply to no one in particular. He was fully aware that the man on the phone could not see him but that didn’t lessen the gratitude he felt towards the man. Minho had lost his parents when he was still very young so for him this man had always been the father he needed. They may not have been related by blood but he was family none the less; along with being the eldest member of their original faction and a wise voice of reason. He had also taught Minho and Jinki everything they knew about Celestial Magic and Constellation powers. He loved Jinki just like a son, so the blow to him must’ve been immense when Jinki nearly killed the then faction leader.

“Of course I will help her. I shall use my contacts to find out who that mechanic really was. Is there anything else that the police found out?”

“Oh yes! They found a book in Eunji’s car. They couldn’t read the actual text because it was projected by magic but it seems like she was digging into the history of Celestial Magic and how it works. Maybe it is because she was trying to find out more about the Nemea bloodline and Leo constellation. We will know for sure once she wakes up.”

“Okay. Let me know if they find out anything new. I shall look into it in the meantime.”

Minho hung up the phone and was still standing in the corridor when he heard his voice, “Seems like mistrust runs deep within the faction. Who was that anyways?” Kibum asked while casually leaning on the corner of the corridor and starring into space.

“Umm…how long have you been here? And how come you are here? I thought you never want to see me again.”

Kibum lets out a hollow laugh, “Trust you to change the topic. And

Please log in to read the full chapter