VII

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg
Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 7
 
The day had barely sunk in when Daehyun was being dragged by his wrist up the porch steps to the farm home. “You sure your mom won’t mind?”

“If we’re any later she’ll scream at us so come on” Anna urged. The lad grew uncomfortable at the thought of seeing her father’s glare at the dinner table.

“What took you so long!” A thick feminine voice came through, “Did you bring him?”

“Yeah!” Anna called while pulling her shoes off. “You’d better take those off too if you don’t want a scolding.”

“Remind me to thank you later when they have a good impression of me” Daehyun mumbled as the pair trotted down the hallway. Anna smirked in silence; yeah, it’s never going to come

“Why, hello there young man. Are you the new farm hand?” a woman donning a patchwork apron smiled. She looked like a home-maker. A maternal warmth poured out of the lady. As foreign as it all was to him, in that one moment Daehyun felt what a home truly was.

“Yes, pleasure to meet you.” Daehyun smiled his kittenish smile. Charming elders in Pogin city as no feat but for once, for once Daehyun flashed his true smile to an elder because his heart told him to do so.

“Come, take a seat.” Her motherly smile cast a spell that bound the boy to listen, that was only broken when he looked in front to meet Anna’s father’s stern glare. Thank God for the inaudible gulp, for Daehyun had slowly began to lose his appetite.

“He will if you stop interrogating him”

“Anna”

“Oh darling let the boy rest.” Anna’s mother cooed. “You can call me mother while you stay here”

“Ariya-”

“Oh you know how much I’ve always wanted a son.” She directed to her husband, only to earn a look from Anna. “Not that I don’t love my daughter too” she smiled sheepishly.

“Shall we say grace?” Anna’s father spoke up. “Let’s see, can you lead grace?”

“I’ll be honest sir. I’ve never had a dinner with grace before,” the lad answered.

“Go on child, speak your heart. It won’t hurt to try.” Anna’s mother encouraged.

Holding Anna’s hand and her mother’s hand, his eyelids fluttered to a close. Holding a true heart the boy began. “Dear father, thank you for blessing us with your kindness and mercy. Thank you for blessing us with a meal to eat, and most of all,” the boy gulped thickly. “Thank you for blessing us with the company of one another on this humble night. May this food bring health and prosperity to all and nourish our bodies as you desire. May love and laughter light our days ahead, and fill this house with warmth and blessings. Amen.” A chorus of ‘amen’ followed, the lad slowly opened his eyes to the other occupants staring back at him in silence.

“That was beautiful,” Anna’s father smiled, and for the first time, the lad knew he was going to enjoy it here.