XXX

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 30
 
Although no one addressed Daehyun, the lad knew what he had to do. The Kwons cried silently as their daughter signed her marriage documents, no parent dreams to see their daughter married so plainly. The lad turned his head as a stray tear rolled down his cheek. A part of arms wrapped around the boy, Mrs Kwon’s perfume wafted in the air. “Why are you crying son?” she asked, calming the boy down.

“It’s not just Haerin’s marriage, it’s ours. I’m so honoured, thank you for blessing me with you daughter. I’ll take good care of her.” Daehyun held back the sob in his throat, it was the greatest day of his life and he was all alone. Family has an important presence, in happiness and sadness, at the endof the day these people will be who you turn to first- Daehyun didn’t have this blessing.

“We don’t deserve you, son. We really don’t.” Mr Kwon cried, pulling the boy into an embrace. “I’m so proud to be able to call you my son in law.”

Daehyun had found himself a new family.

The whole farm had been quiet since their departure, the lad’s bride had a lot to take in. The soft buzz in his pocket caught the lad off guard, the caller on the screen as a welcome sight though. “I called in to say your job is done, they were some nasty things you had me delete.

“Don’t remind me. Bless those creams that fade scars, the marks are fading faster.”

“Your parents asked me about how the sleep over was going.”

Dammit. “Life is going so fast right now”

“But why is there a marriage registered between a Jung Daehyun and Kwon Haerin?”

“Yeah I got hitched.”

“How am I friends with a nutjob like you again.”

“We just signed the papers today, she wore shorts and a tee shirt.”

“Yeah but you could have just dated, right-”

“Out here people are religious and women must keep to a certain standard.” The boy told his friend, recounting the gossip he overheard in the kitchen. “Society here is actually a little more demanding than what we have to face. Girls must be pure and perfect; men must be strong and reliable; you have to follow gender stereotypes here. If she is found to be living with a boy while being unmarried, rumours of adultery will damage them.”

“I didn’t think you were religious.”

“The church is interesting, it’s peaceful. Oh yeah, adultery results in loss of honor and strength, a ruined reputation, and finally self-destruction. Than that’s not even the full story.”

“Damn that intense.” Youngjae tsked. “So do you plan to walk her down the aisle?”

“Yeah, I was gonna ask you if you could come. Be my best man, please?”

“If I come I can’t cover you. Do you want to get caught that badly?”

“I see, thanks for always having my back.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Make the most out of the time I’ve got left. I need to be here right now.”

“Tell the sister-in-law I said hello.” With that Youngjae ended the call.

Daehyun was running out of time, and there was so much to do before all hell lets loose.