XV

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg
Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 15
 
A small prayer slipped Daehyun’s lips as Anna manoeuvred her rickety old truck around the dirt tracked bends of the road. The boy loathed the way chauffeurs drove around bends; the younger was always clutching onto a barf bag with dear life. He didn’t want to test the waters with his father’s temper, the man had quite a swing with a golf club. The dizziness grew and grew until the lad reached his limit, nausea welling up inside him. “Stop the car.”

“What?”

“Stop the car!” The putrid feeling began growing dangerously faster as the lad swallowed to keep it down. The angel had just pulled over to the kerb and the lad rushed out of the car dry heaving. Collapsing onto his knees few feet away stomach acid lined his throat, tears that threatened to spill lined his eyes as he emptied the contents of his stomach.

Breathlessly recollecting himself, the boy began to register the girl’s voice and the gravel digging into his skin. Blurry vision began to clear out as his tears dried up, and the swore he’d never seen any sight as heart-stopping as that what he saw then. An angel peered at him, wisps of ebony blown astray by the breeze, a bottle of water in her delicate hand. In that moment the lad believed God existed, no science could have crafted a soul and body beautiful as her. “Oh my lord! Are you okay?” Enlarged pools of warmth were filled with worry as her hand helped to pull the boy up. The cool drink did little to soothe his throat as it cleared his head.

“Can you give me the keys?” his voice came hoarse even the angel winced.

Hesitantly, the angel held out her car keys. “My baby’s a manual. You sure you won’t crash her?”

“Trust me.” The boy replied before pulling himself into the driver’s side. “Now, how do we get to town?”

“Don’t act all cool on me after something like that. I can’t figure out if you’re either brave or a baby.” A chuckle escaped Daehyun’s lips as the engine came to life, the lad didn’t know the answer to the question himself. Maybe she could help him find the person he was bound to become, a pursuit of uncertainty he was willing to travel with her by his side.