XXIX

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 29
 
Mr.Kwon had relieved the lad of his duties, asking him instead to focus on helping the angel; the men had yet to have their conversation. Slowly but surely Daehyun eased his girl into a more settled routine; beginning their day with cleaning the barn, followed by singing, reading, painting the mural or talking. A week of s’mores and ramen turned into something more nutritious, BBQ. They added ice cream to the menu too but the s’mores stay, what Haerin says goes.

Daehyun cooked for the pair, Haerin played sous chef and mood maker.

Daehyun loved their barbecues at night, he always saw two sides to his angel then. The amber flickering flames of the fire glowing against Haerin’s skin, her eye and her hair encapsulated in a warm golden glow. After the barbecue when their tummies were full the pair put out the fire and would lay back. A blanket of stars above them, the pair talked the nights about the big and little things in life. Daehyun watched her eyes glimmer, the reflection of a thousand stars was no match for the lone gem before him. “What are you looking at?”

“I’m looking at a diamond in the dust, waiting to be polished.” He replied, a sheepish smile plastered on his face, earning a punch on his arm from a beet red girl.

Two weeks flew by as her smile became more frequent. She still clung to the lad when they slept, but it came less out of fear from nightmares and more from their bond. The scars on her heart were healing faster. Their third week had just begun, when Mr.Kwon swung open the barn door, a laughing Haerin sat on the sofa as Daehyun held a broom in hand like a guitar.

The time for the talk had arrived.

The pair sat opposite both Kwon parents with four mugs of tea at the dinner table. Daehyun already had his hands full with the situation, had his angel not been holding his hand the boy would be dealing with fewer glares from. “I wasn’t expecting you to hit off with my daughter so well.”

“Hearin, your dad’s gonna kill me if you keep this up.” Daehyun whispered, gesturing to their interlocked hands.

“I see lazer beams but he wouldn’t dare kill you, not with me around,” to which she reluctantly let go.

“How did you fall in love?” Mrs. Kwon begun.

“He’s really smart. Most guys here aren’t smart or goofy.” The girl beside him replied. Mrs Kwon’s attempt of a normal conversation worked with a smile to the woman’s face.

“What’s your story, son?”

I was throwing up on the side of the road and she came out of nowhere like an angel, tht was what he wanted to say. “In the city some girls rely on their parents a money making machines, some parents rely on their children to make money. Haerin is one of a kind, she’s her own person. I respect that about her.”

“Why do you all her by her birth name?”

“Because that’s who she is. Bright intelligent, virtuous, worthy.” The lad smiled.

“Was it really love at first sight?”

Haerin shook her head. “We just clicked really well. I’m not sure how else to explain it.”

Daehyun could read Mr Kwon’s face. You’re kids, are you sure you love each other? “I can’t say anything about tomorrow, but right here, right now, I love your daughter and as proof of my love you could take my earnings away and I’d still be by her side.”

“You bring things down to money a lot boy,” the man eyed the boy.

“I come from a very cruel world, sir.”

Mr Kwon leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. “I’ve come to trust you, and I hope this is a good decision. I’ll approve of your relationship on one condition; I want you two to tie the knot.”

A silence fell over the table, Daehyun could not believe it. “Daddy, are you serious?” his girl voiced.

“We’re serious honey.” Mrs Kwon spoke up, reaching for her daughter’s hand in both of hers. “You’re not ready to face the world, I know it. But we’re not ready to face society; you know what damage rumours can do. That’s why we want to leave you and Daehyun here with a peace of our minds,” tears lined the woman’s eyes.

“Just sign the papers and we’ll put them into the marriage bureau on our way to your grandpa.” Mr Kwon looked away from the table, every father wants to walk his daughter down the aisle.

“This might be the last time I see your grandpa.” Tears rolled down the woman’s cheeks, and Anna knew what was going on.