Broken Strings

This time it is different

Pre note: Listen to Broken Strings by James Morrison and now, enjoy it!

 

He did not return home today. There was no one who’d miss him anyways. The brown haired boy lived on his own and the school had open doors the entire day. It wasn’t the first time the boy decided not to return home. And especially today he didn’t feel like doing so. Too many things had happened.

 

 “Ponyo. You know, that this is perfect. For both of us. It’s more than perfect. And even if that stupid mouth of yours wants to disagree, we both know the truth. Listen, Ponyo. I know it is hard for you, I know it. Your eyes say it all. The way you looked at me during classes. You want to run to me. You want me to hug you. You“ he made a small break and pulled back in order to over Sewoon’s lips “you want me to kiss you. But your mask does not allow it. Your mask and your stupid mind. But Sewoon, keep in mind, I know you. I know you and your soul. And from what I see, your brain made up some story that keeps you acting like this. Soon, this story will find its end. And Sewoon, I cannot wait for this day.”

 

Why did his body still react to Jaehwan like it used to? And why hadn’t he pushed him away? Didn’t he swear himself he’d never let Jaehwan touch him again? But today Jaehwan had touched him twice. And in addition to that, the older boy had kissed him.
After the kiss Jaehwan left. Without a goodbye just a “Wait a little bit, my Ponyo. You will be back soon.” There was no way Sewoon and Jaehwan could return to what they used to be. It was over.


Yes, it was over. If he’d keep saying this, it would become true. That’s what Sewoon hoped to happen.

The boy made his room into ‘his’ music room, where his guitar was waiting for him. To clear anything up, Sewoon did not own this room, it’s more that everyone knew about his preference for this particular room. It was far away from the other music rooms and to add on it had by far the best acoustic in the entire school.
“Hey little friend”, Sewoon took his guitar carefully and placed his head on it. “I missed you. Can you believe? I saw him again. Actually… I saw all of them again. How could they find us? … “A small break followed as he started to run through the strings of his guitar. He did not play any melody yet.  “You miss doing music with them? Just as much as I do? But, you can’t play on broken strings, right? I mean, once a string is broken, we both know that there is no way it can be fixed again. So how can I believe their words?”
Slowly tears started to run along his face. In the end, he still had tears. “I am crying because of him again. Because of them. Because of the time I miss and I want to be able to return.”
More tears. This was the only place Sewoon cried. And his guitar was the only thing that he cried with. The only place Sewoon was able to shape his words, was this room. “I miss them. I miss them so much.”

That was it. Sewoon stopped fighting against his tears and let them all come out. Tears, that were hold back for the last four years.
While him bawling the boy started to play his guitar. And he played a song he hadn’t played for ages.

Broken strings by James Morrison.

This was the song he had played after moving to Seoul for the first couple of weeks. When the pain was still part of his everyday life. After the pain had disappeared he stopped playing it. But now, it he felt the lyrics once again.

 ‘It tears me up. I try to hold on but it’s too much.’

No other line would be better to explain the pain Sewoon felt inside.

“I love you. I always have and I always will. And you know, little Ponyo, I am someone to keep said words.” “But I am not someone to do so”, Sewoon thought now as he remembered a conversation he had with him a long time ago.
Actually it felt like this conservation had been hold in another life. But time didn’t run that fast. When Sewoon felt like he was living a new life barely four years had passed. However, who was he to call four years barely? Four years could be a long time. In Seoul and in Busan.

He kept playing until his fingers started to bleed. While other people drank alcohol to forget Sewoon played until his fingers could not hold his guitar straight anymore. This happened around 3 am.
Once he had reached this point he placed his guitar into its case. “Goodnight, little friend.” Maybe, he’d start calling his guitar it’s given name again. Maybe. Just maybe. Maybe...

“GOOD MORNING SEWOON-HYUNG”, a loud voice woke him up the next morning. Pouting a little bit Sewoon opened his eyes only to face Gwanghyun starring straight into his face. “Oh, damn it, Gwanghyun. Let me guess. Euiwoong told you? This boy has to stop acting like my damn mother.” Should I remind you that Sewoon was a mess without his daily mug of coffee? “Nah, it’s alright! He is just worried about you. Yah, hyung, how long did you play this night? Your fingertips are entirely red. Seriously you should start caring for them.” Sewoon just grimaced and got up from the chair he slept on. The young boy mostly slept while sitting. It made it easy if he needed to run away. Something that had saved him that one night…

“You got coffee at least?” And luckily he could count on the younger. Gwanghyun handed him a nice and hot cup of coffee. “We all know how much you need your coffee, hyung.” This made Sewoon smile a little bit.

While the two boys were walking to their classroom Sewoon sipped on his coffee and started to wake up fully. “Good morning, Ponyo” a sudden voice said. Gwanghyun started at the source of the voice and widened his eyes. Sewoon did not need to turn around to know who it was. Of course it was Youngmin, who else? “Just a little information, in case you don’t like storms. The weather forecast warned about a huge storm happening today. But, as you said, you are not our friend. So I guess me telling you it was unnecessary? See ya later.”

When his and Sewoon’s shoulders touched the older boy hold on for a millisecond and whispered only for Sewoon to hear “Will you break today, Ponyo?”

an:Omg thank you sooooooooo much for the support you have been giving my story!!
It makes me so happy that you guys seem to enjoy this story! When I read your comments I just feel so glad that I can make people happy with this.
So if you want to make me happy feel free to comment ^-^
Btw, you got any idea how Sewoon's guitar's real name might be? Leave your ideas in the comments and one of you might win a one-shot with one of the characters ;D