Chapter Four

Lucky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol hopped into the van with Lay already falling asleep in the backseat. His eyes were shut and his arms were crossed but slackened with fatigue. Chanyeol sat down slowly, quietly, trying not to disturb his hyung who had another flight back to China tomorrow.

“She loves you like a son. Don't worry.” Lay spoke quietly.

“Yixing-hyung?” Chanyeol questioned his comment. Though Lay was usually perceived as a silly member, he had moments of elegance and wisdom, resembling the grandparents who taught him well. Chanyeol looked up to Lay whenever they were alone like this or had free time to fiddle around musically together.

Lay opened his eyes and stared out the window, uncrossing his arms and lacing his fingers together. He contemplated before answering. “When we..had all twelve members together.. Us Chinese members hadn't seen our family in years. I felt.. unaccepted, didn't belong, lonely, sad. But all of you took us in, allowing us to greet each and one of your families. We were accepted into all of your families. EXO is a family, no matter what, you will always be accepted and loved. So don't worry. She loves you, we all do. Do not let yourself fall or hide away from us for any reason, but if you fall, we will be here to catch you. I will be here.” Lay leaned forward to firmly grasp Chanyeol's shoulder, lending him support and reassurance.

Chanyeol nodded and placed his hand on top of Lay's in thanks for his kind words and lesson. He knew the talk would come after his daze prior to their concert. Lay always chose perfect times to reassure him, even if he never told him what the matter was, even if Chanyeol himself didn't know what was bringing him down. But after hearing Lay's short speech, he felt the burden on his shoulders lighten. Something weighed on his mind and chest though that he couldn't quite understand what it was that was bothering him. It seemed as if Baekhyun's mother and Lay knew the answer. Even if he asked, he doubted they would give him the answer. They always believed in finding the answer yourself to appreciate the meaning more.

"But Yixing-hyung, you aren't here when you go to China! What if I fall while you're there?" Chanyeol asked playfully, his eyes shining like a puppy's.

Lay smiled, leaning back in his seat and resting his head on his hand. "Look to the person who is always with you then." With that, Lay shut his eyes again, seemingly already fast asleep.

Before Chanyeol could think or prod further on the subject matter, the door slid open and some of the members piled in. The car's engine hummed alive and they began rolling out. As soon as they were far enough from the venue, everyone rolled down their windows. Chanyeol stared out of his lethargically. Some members stuck their heads out, yelling and cheering with their other members in the van behind them.

Baekhyun watched Chanyeol from the corner of his eye, taking the time to occasionally glance at his unusually quiet friend. When his partner in crime wasn't being rowdy with the rest of the gang, he knew something was really on his mind since the start of the concert.

Is it because of me? Did he see through me? Did I bother him..or effect our friendship..?

From the backseat, Suho looked between the two members who usually made the most and loudest noise in the van. Unusually silent and wide awake looking out their windows meant an argument between the two. He never knew how to truly handle members' disputes, whether or not it was better to let them handle it themselves or if he needed to intervene. In most cases involving Chanyeol and Baekhyun, he chose to leave them be, knowing they would make up shortly after, most likely by Chanyeol apologizing. Suho took a look at Chanyeol who's face bore no emotion. He appeared empty, a new look on Chanyeol that he had never seen before.

Confused, Suho turned toward Xiumin who was preoccupied playing a mobile game. He waited for him to finish his battle before nudging him in the side. Xiumin paused his game and attentively looked at his leader. Suho nodded toward Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

Xiumin had noticed the both of them acting strangely at different times separately throughout the night, yet saw them perfectly fine together on multiple occasions. He turned to Suho to give his verdict; he shrugged but attempted to bring them together and see their reactions.

Xiumin pocketed his phone and looked out the window for a conversation topic to jumpstart the two. They passed by many parks and shopping plazas, not enough for the two to never stop talking about. Suho caught on after placing a jacket over Lay and also stared out the window. Suho pointed at an upcoming convenience store. Xiumin's eyes widened and he nodded exuberantly.

Xiumin immediately changed expressions into exasperation. "Ahh!! I'm so hungry already.."

Following the act, Suho looked slightly tired and peeved. "We're almost there, but there's a convenience store right there. Have you been on that diet again? You should eat more.. Let's stop here."

Chanyeol lifted his head off his hand, looking around their sudden stop. Simultaneously, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had a small grin at the sight. They turned to each other.

"This..is the one, isn't it?" Baekhyun asked first, already knowing the answer. He smiled wider.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter