2. Marry Her

Raising Love

Sohee glances through the glass door into Baekhyun’s office, and smiles as she sees him reading something on his desk. He looks intensely into the book as he flips each page eagerly. Sohee carefully pushes the glass door and walks into the room. She sits down the sofa and waits for Baekhyun to greet her.

However, Baekhyun is heavily focused on his book that he doesn’t realize Sohee has entered the room. Soon Sohee pouts her lips as Baekhyun doesn’t even glance up to look at her.

Standing outside, Jongin looks at Sohee wistfully. He feels anger and pain as he realizes that Sohee is too in love with Baekhyun. But why couldn’t she just accept the fact that Baekhyun wasn’t interested in her?! He could give her so much more…

“Do you like her?” Someone behind him asks him in a quivering voice.

Jongin spins around frantically as if he had been just caught red handed. Standing in front of him was a fragile girl, shivering.  

“Gaeul-ssi…what are you doing here?” He asks as he looks at her shivering hand.

“My blood pressure has dropped but I can’t find insulin.” Gaeul tells him politely as she approaches the glass door.

Jongin places his hand firmly across the glass door, stopping Gaeul from intruding on Sohee and Baekhyun. Sohee would go crazy if Gaeul were to walk into her space with Baekhyun.

Gaeul looks at Jongin’s firm hand on the door puzzled. She glances up to look at him and tells him calmly, “I just need insulin.”

Jongin smiles formally but shakes his head firmly. “Isn’t there some nurse to help you?” He didn’t understand why Gaeul was coming here for insulin.

“Doctor Kim, that’s none of your business.” Gaeul tells him firmly as she waits for him to unlock his hand from the door. However, Jongin’s hand remains firmly on the door without any signs of movement.

Instead, he places his hand on her shoulders and guides her to another direction: the front desk. Gaeul stares with shock at the warm hands on her shoulders. Before she knew it, he had taken her to the front desk where all the nurses come and gather medication for patients. Swiftly, he talks to the head nurse for an insulin packet for Gaeul.

The head nurse looks at Gaeul for a second and instantly demands, “Gaeul-ssi, where’s nurse Park today?”

Gaeul bites her bottom lip anxiously as she meets the confrontation has been trying to avoid the whole time. This was the precise reason why she had chosen to walk all the way to Baekhyun’s room for insulin!

“Our nurse is-“

She tries to explain, but the head nurse frowns and interrupts her sharply. “Ms.Son, you should stop covering up for your nurse. She’s a nurse who is supposed to be protecting you, not the other way around!”

Gaeul looks down at the floor shamefully. All she could do now was to hope that the head nurse wouldn’t punish nurse Park too much. Her plan was working just great, until this stupid doctor came in the way! Immediately fury builds up within Gaeul as she realizes Jongin was the reason behind this mess. If he had kept his busy body in his fancy white coat and walked away, nurse Park would never have faced getting in trouble!

She glares at Jongin furiously and stalks off to her room.

Jongin glances at Gaeul with surprise. He didn’t understand what the sudden death stare was meant for. All he had done was to help her get insulin!

Quickly, he grabs the insulin on the counter and chases after her.

“What is wrong with you? Don’t you need insulin?” Jongin asks as he pulls on Gaeul’s wrist, a little too aggressively.

Gaeul spins around violently. She glares at the useless person in front of her. All this time people around her have praised Jongin for his excellence and physique, but she was definitely against their opinions. To her, Jongin was a rotten doctor with a useless appetite for meddling in other people’s affairs.

“Because of you, nurse Park is going to get in trouble!” Gaeul tells him angrily. It was the first time in a very long time that Gaeul had used an angry tone in any manner. She was so calm and gentle that everyone in the hospital called her a swan.

“I don’t understand. Isn’t a nurse who isn’t available when she is on duty, supposed to get in trouble? What’s the problem with that?” He asks her perplexed.

Gaeul shakes her head at the idiot in front of her. All along she believed that all doctors were geniuses, but right now she amended that rule to most doctors. “You don’t know anything! Nurse Park has a sick mother at home, so sometimes she needs to go back home urgently.”

Jongin frowns at Gaeul’s response. He wonders if Gaeul was innocent or just plain stupid. “I hardly believe that she does, and even if she does, she’s still supposed to be here looking after sick patients. Or else, she should look for another occupation.”

Gaeul gasps at the heartless person in front of her. “They say my heart is a piece of junk, but you don’t even seem to have one! Heartless monster.” She mutters indignantly as she stomps into her room and slams the door behind her.

Still bundled with anger, Gaeul shouts “ face!” Her best attempt at swearing.

“Whoah, what’s wrong?” Solbi asks surprised at Gaeul’s unforeseen anger. This was probably the first time Solbi had experienced Gaeul slamming the door at someone’s face.

Gaeul frowns at the thought of Jongin again, but she didn’t have the guts to tell Solbi that she was swearing about Jongin. “Just encountered some rude, heartless monster.”

 

 

Jongin stares at the slammed door. He takes a deep breath and tries to calm down. How could she be so blind?! The days ahead with Gaeul as a patient seemed dark and gloomy. He could already see them fighting about every single matter.

He turns his back to the door and walks back to his office furiously.

As he reaches the front of his office, he notices Sohee sitting on his chair. Immediately a smile spreads across his face. He joyfully opens the door and beams at Sohee. “Hey.” He greets her.

However, under the dim light, Jongin’s heart drops as he realizes the small tears flowing on her cheek.

“What’s wrong?!!” He asks her bewildered as he rushes beside her.

She sighs and gently wipes the tears away from her cheeks. “How is it that you can see everything about me, but why can’t he?! Why can’t he even see me?” Sohee sobs sadly.

Jongin rushes next to her and pulls out pieces of tissue for her. Sohee takes the tissue from Jongin and places them on her cheeks to soak up the hot tears.

“Let’s go out for a drink.” Jongin suggests as he pulls Sohee up from the chair and gingerly places her weight onto him. Guiding her down the stairs Jongin leads her to his car and opens the door for her.

Sohee looks up at him and smiles out of the midst of crying. “You’re my only friend,” she whispers as she sits down on the car seat.

Jongin nods and replies, “I know.” He gently closes the door for her and walks over to the driver’s seat.

He speeds his black audi into the dark but glittering Seoul night. Soon, he pulls up in front of their favourite bar and gives his keys to the valet parker. Sohee gets out of the car and walks in with Jongin. She wraps her arm around his and as usual, Jongin’s heart races. Sohee knew every touch would affect Jongin, and she knew it would hurt him, but she couldn’t help it. Every time she was around Jongin, she felt loved and she wanted to remind herself that she was loved.

“Hey Jongin! Hi Sohee.” Chanyeol calls from the bar and waves his free hand.

“Hi.” Sohee replies as she sits down on the bar stool with Jongin.

“Are you crying?!!” Chanyeol notices Sohee’s red eyes and asks her surprised.

Jongin glances at Sohee anxiously and looks up at Chanyeol. He tries to mouth to Chanyeol not to mention it, but Chanyeol continues to stare at Sohee as if she were some monkey in a zoo.

“Chanyeol, do you mind giving us some space?” Jongin pleads.

Chanyeol, wiping a wine glass, warily places the glass down on the table top and nods. He wonders what problem Sohee has today. It seemed like every time she needed or wanted something, Jongin was her lap dog to save her out of her worries. As Jongin’s close friend, Chanyeol wanted Sohee to stay away from Jongin, but because he knew Jongin would be furious with him for saying anything, he kept silent for the time being.

“Sure.” Chanyeol mumbles as he walks away from the bar and walks out of the bar. He twists the sign on the bar to ‘closed’ and walks to a nearby restaurant.

Jongin walks into the bar where Chanyeol left and whips out a cocktail mixer. He pours brandy and rum into the steel cup and mixes exotic flavours with ice. With a quick shake, he pours the cold liquor into a tall glass and hands it to Sohee. The blue and yellow within the cocktail slowly collide and produce a tint of green in the glass.

Sohee holds onto the drink and gulps down a few drops before she says another word. Jongin looks at her in silence and feels relieved as she smiles at the drink.

“I was in his room this afternoon…he didn’t even know I walked in…” Sohee mutters as she tells Jongin her worries. “He stared at that stupid file of his for hours! He just wouldn’t look at me, even when I said hi…”

“Sohee, he’s a doctor,” Jongin tries to calm her down as he notices the tears reappearing in her eyes.

Sohee shakes her head roughly. “You’re a doctor too!”

“I’m a lousy doctor.” Jongin mumbles softly.

Without hearing Jongin, Sohee continues to rant, “but the thing that really makes me go crazy is the file he was studying!! It was all about one girl. The one girl I hate the most in this world! Why does it have to be her?” Sohee shouts angrily as she clenches her fist with hot tears rolling down her cheeks again.

Why did he have to be her doctor?!! Why couldn’t he just change with Jongin…Why?!

Sohee closes her eye lids tightly and wonders where everything went wrong. Was Gaeul so important to Baekhyun that he couldn’t just leave her? Sohee felt worried and a troubling instinct kept telling her that keeping Baekhyun around Gaeul would bring greater consequences in the future.

Jongin looks at Sohee hopelessly as he wonders what he could do to help her. Seeing her pain made him feel worse so he was willing to just do about anything to put her out of her misery.

“Please don’t cry. Sohee…I’ll help you. I’ll find some way, so please stop crying…”

Sohee glances up at Jongin. What could he do?

Suddenly an idea pops into her mind: a brilliant idea that might make her happier. A plan that could ultimately remove Gaeul from Baekhyun’s life.

“Jongin-ah…help me.” Sohee pleads

And of course Jongin nods like a fool to Sohee’s request.

“Marry her.”