13. Unreciprocated

Raising Love

Jongin looks at Gaeul walking away from him. One step at a time, her figure shrinks slowly. He debates a million times in his head whether he should chase after her. But what would he say after running after her? What can he say? He could probably tell her he no longer loves Sohee, and he was in fact trying to protect her…but what would come after? When he didn’t understand himself, how could he explain himself to someone else.

Jongin glances down at the palm of his hands. Just a minute ago, he was holding her hand close to him. Now, he is standing here alone, but he can still feel her.

“So…who was that?” Chanyeol sneaks behind Jongin and whispers into his ear.

Jongin doesn’t even bother to turn around. He waves his hand around his ear as if he were trying to get rid of a fly.

“The half-sister that you were supposed to marry?” Chanyeol asks casually, as if there was nothing wrong with his statement.

“Just shut up Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol smiles. He could sense something fishy. Jongin was a little different in the sense that he was still staring at the point where Gaeul walked away. “I’ve known you for a very long time my friend, but today is the day I think you have finally walked away from mummy Sohee.”

Jongin shakes his head. “You know, but I don’t think she does.”

Chanyeol smirks. “And you want her to know too?”

Jongin thinks for a second. He could feel Chanyeol smirking next to him. “You’re a sneaky . But no, don’t try to make a love story out of me. She’s my patient.”

“And a love story between a patient and doctor can’t exist?” Chanyeol asks rhetorically.

“You, as a bystander may think it’s possible, but I’m a surgeon. A surgeon with feelings cannot think rationally during a high-risk operation, and –“

“Jongin, you’re smart. We all know you’re smart. And the rules of a surgeon and patient can’t date are acceptable. Fine. But you’re not the only surgeon in Korea.” Chanyeol cuts him off and explains with frustration. He felt as though Jongin finally had an opportunity to get away from Sohee, but he was kicking away this golden opportunity.

Jongin shakes his head again. Chanyeol didn’t understand the situation. “I’m not the only doctor, but I’m the best doctor. I want her to live…so I need to get my together and find her a cure.” He replies firmly as he places a solid hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “So I’m going to choose her life, over some stupid love story any day.”

Jongin walks away from Chanyeol, following Gaeul’s footsteps.

Chanyeol, standing alone and staring at Jongin walking away, folds his arms. “Again, I see it and you don’t. You’re already writing your own stupid love story every day.”

 

Jongin changes out of his black suit, and slips back into his doctor gown. He takes a deep breath and tries to clear his messy thoughts.

“Just ignore.” He whispers softly and pats his beating heart.

He walks out of his office and walks down the hallway. His heart beats faster as he gets closer to Gaeul’s room. Trying to calm his heart, he brushes his hair with his fingers and clears his throat. But his heart is still beating rapidly.

“Doctor Kim?!!”

A bright voice behind Jongin pierces through his ears. He turns around to see the owner of the voice.

“Gloria??” Jongin looks at the woman in front of him with surprise. He didn’t know why and how Gloria was standing in front of him.

“Gloria?” Another voice appears right next to Jongin and stares at the girl with suspicious eyes.

Jongin jumps at Gaeul’s sudden appearance. “Gaeul!”

“Hi Doctor!” Gloria beams at Jongin happily. Dressed in a bright blue flowery dress, Gloria looks like Tinkerbell’s best friend.

Gaeul checks Gloria from top to bottom and glares at her suspiciously. Why the hell was this Gloria girl standing in front of Jongin right now? Who was she? As foreigner Gloria’s Korean sounds different, but the fact that she can speak in the language surprises Gaeul too.

“Gloria, what are you doing here?” Jongin asks

Gloria smiles. “Making sure I keep my promise.”

Jongin, still confused as to why Gloria is here, simply smiles as a response. On the other hand, Gaeul, standing next to Jongin, nervously glares at Gloria. Gloria had beautiful features and soft blonde hair. She was slender and tall, with all the right curves. She looked like a lingerie model, and this made Gaeul feel not only worried but also self-conscious.

Glancing at Gloria’s body, Gaeul notices the bigger curves. She bites her bottom lips and peeks down at her rather flat chest. “God is unfair.” Gaeul mutters unconsciously out loud.

Jongin clears his throat at Gaeul. “Ahem…”

“Doctor, where’s your office. Let’s talk.” Gloria suggests as she walks closer towards Jongin.

Gaeul frowns and her eyes light up with urgency. She was desperate to get this Barbie girl away from Jongin. However, against her wishes, Jongin nods and follows Gloria. Immediately, Gaeul pouts with her bottom lip sticking out.

“Doctor Kim! I uhm…I have something to tell you.” Gaeul tries to make something up in her mind.

Jongin turns around and glances at Gaeul who looks very perplexed. “Are you ok?”

“Doctor, it won’t take long.” Gloria pulls Jongin back towards her.

Stuck in the middle of the two women, Jongin stands still for a moment and tries to recollect his thoughts. At this moment, it was a greater surprise that Gloria, who lived in the States, was standing in front of him right now.

“I’ll talk to you later.” Jongin tells Gaeul and leads Gloria to his office.

Left alone, Gaeul keeps her eyes on Jongin’s back. Out of all the girls in the world, why did a Barbie doll have to come after Jongin?! Gaeul kicks the floor with frustration.

 

Biting her nails, Gaeul flips and flops around on her bed. Staring at Gaeul nervously flipping around on the bed, Solbi clicks her tongue.

“Another crazy day.” Solbi murmurs while flipping through her magazine.

“Solbi!!!!” Gaeul yells at the top of her lungs.

“What?” Solbi answers calmly.

“I think I like someone.” Gaeul confesses. “My heart keeps beating, and I blush and I get upset…all because of that one person.”

“I know. Kim Jongin. You crush stealer.” Solbi’s voice remains calm and her eyes still fixed on her magazine.

“What?!” Gaeul stares at Solbi with surprise. How did she even know?!!

“Everyone knows. Only you don’t know. But the real question is…does he like you?” Solbi closes the magazine and turns her attention to Gaeul now. Her eyes are filled with curiosity as she awaits Gaeul’s answer.

Gaeul ponders at Solbi’s question. How in the world was she supposed to know how Jongin felt about her? Actually, from the way he treated her, it was pretty obvious that he had no whatsoever interest in her. She squints her eyes shut, trying to push away the memories she had at the wedding. It was a secret that she cried in the room for hours until she had no tears anymore.

“So are you feeling any better from yesterday?” Solbi asks cautiously.

Gaeul spins around to face Solbi. Before she started crying, she made sure Solbi was asleep. “What do you mean by better?” Gaeul replies with an answer.

“I mean you were crying the whole night. I woke up in the middle, but you were buried in your bedsheets so I felt like I shouldn’t disturb you.” Solbi explains calmly. Last night, casually flipping through a magazine, Solbi stayed awake until Gaeul fell asleep crying. She didn't want to ask or bother Gaeul with questions because she understood Gaeul was crying under her sheets with the desire to hide. All she could do was stay awake and make sure nothing went wrong.

Gaeul sighs. “I cried because I realized that Kim Jongin does not like me…but I like him.” Her heart clenches as she explains the harsh reality. 

Like all the people in the world, Gaeul also feels the pain of being unloved. The realization that comes when your love is unreciprocated hurts like a gun shot, like a bullet has pierced through your heart. The feeling of emptiness and loneliness circulate Gaeul as she wraps herself with the blanket, trying to fill her empty heart physically.