9. Just Fine

Raising Love

Solbi walks into the room with her hair half gone. She swears repetitively as she shuts the door behind her.

Gaeul giggles. Just looking at Solbi muttering angrily made Gaeul laugh.

“What happened to your hair?” Gaeul asks as she notices Solbi’s missing hair.

Solbi’s eyes widen as she takes a deep breath to begin the story. “I was in the children’s department and it was Dongwon’s birthday, so of course I stuck in the candles, sang the song but then I got too close to the cake and the candles that my hair caught the fire!”

“You burnt your hair off?” Gaeul gasps with surprise.

“Yeah! But the annoying part was Dongwon started to cry because my hair blew out his candles, and all the while my hair was still on fire! On fire!!” Solbi exclaims annoyed. “Cannot even believe I tried hosting a birthday party for that selfish child!”

Gaeul giggles as Solbi flops on top of her bed angrily.

“Hey, Dr.Kim was looking for you.” Solbi tells Gaeul, as she suddenly remembers bumping into Dr.Kim in the morning. From 10 feet away, Solbi could spot Dr.Kim but he was too focused to even notice her. So, she quickly brushed through her hair with her fingers, her lips for some gloss and tried to pinch her cheeks. All of this to seduce the male opponent, who was not interested in her.

“Why was he looking for me?” Gaeul asks curiously. Just hearing his name already made her nervous for no reason.

Solbi shrugs. “Not sure, but he said seemed very serious and urgent. Do you have other issues?” She asks carelessly, then regrets it the next second at her stupidity.

Gaeul also shrugs. She didn’t have any issues that she knew of right now.

“Sorry I called them issues. Didn’t mean to be so inconsiderate.” Solbi adds on apologetically.

“It’s ok. It’s true that I have issues. Don’t worry-“

Suddenly the door opens and Jongin walks in shaking his head. “Nope, the last time I checked you don’t have any issues.”

Gaeul and Solbi are both surprised at Jongin’s sudden entrance. He literally appeared out of nowhere and joined in the conversation.

“Dr.Kim…” Solbi mutters still amazed that this -god was standing right in front of her. Mesmerized by his appearance, Solbi is ignorant to the fact that he is only looking at Gaeul.

“Why were you looking for me?” Gaeul asks Jongin casually. Unlike Solbi, Gaeul seemed to be oblivious to Jongin’s good looks. In her eyes, Jongin looked like a doctor and nothing more. Considering Dr.Byun too, this hospital seemed to choose doctors according to looks.

To answer Gaeul’s question, Jongin pulls out a small stuffed toy from the back of his pocket. He hides the stuffed toy in his palm and sticks his arm forward. Gaeul looks down at Jongin’s closed fist and wonders what the stuffed toy may be.

“Here.” Jongin smiles brightly and flips his palm, slowly peeling his fingers to reveal the stuffed toy.

In the middle of his palm lay a small spongebob stuffed toy. Immediately, Gaeul beams at the sight of spongebob.

“Wow, I cannot believe I just lost to a stuffed spongebob.” Jongin mutters hopelessly as he notices Gaeul beaming at the toy. When he walked in, she was so emotionless he thought she was almost disappointed to see him.

“Can I…touch it?” Gaeul asks carefully, while keeping her eyes fixed on the toy.

Jongin, finding Gaeul’s genuine excitement, smiles happily. Thank god he was able to wake up early today to catch this stuffed toy. To be honest it took 3 hours and 60,000won to catch one spongebob stuffed toy. The effort, time and money were a scratch to Jongin’s pride, but at least he caught spongebob!

Last night Jongin was walking home from work and he noticed an arcade claw crane filled with spongebob and Patrick. The moment he saw the stuffed toys, Jongin thought of Gaeul and he became determined to catch the spongebob. Now he was standing in front of her, seeing her smile brightly like a star.

“You can have it.” Jongin grabs Gaeul’s hand and places the stuffed toy into her palm.

Solbi frowns with her eyeballs just about to pop out. She didn’t understand what was happening! Why was Gaeul so happy, and why was Jongin so happy to see Gaeul so happy?!! Solbi looks at Gaeul and Jongin back and forth, trying to comprehend the situation.

“whoah-whoah, let’s stop right here and rewind for a second.” Solbi interrupts the two. She walks in between them and snatches the spongebob out of Gaeul’s palm. Gaeul’s smile disappears as her spongebob disappears, and Jongin’s smile disappears as Gaeul’s smile disappears. Solbi sighs loudly and pouts.

“WHAT IS GOING ON BETWEEN YOU TWO?!!”

 

Gaeul’s smile remains planted on her face as she can’t take her eyes off the small spongebob dangling on her phone.

“Why are you so obsessed about that yellow sponge?” Jongin asks cautiously.

“Because…because Spongebob seems to lead a simple, worry-free life. If there is a problem, he just solves it…unlike my life, where I can’t seem to solve anything.” Gaeul tells him softly, speaking from the roots of her honesty.  “By the way, you still didn’t tell me why you cried that day.” Gaeul adds on as she tries to change the subject of the conversation.

The memories of the little girl’s death floods back to Jongin. Noticing Jongin’s frozen expression, Gaeul immediately regrets asking. “Sorry…” she mutters softly.

Jongin shakes his head and forces a light-hearted smile. “Nothing to be sorry about. There was an accident in which a school bus was hit. A girl came into the emergency room with a pipe through her heart. I thought I could help her, but it was too late.” He explains calmly, trying to remove the emotion from the surgery.

Gaeul bites on her bottom lip with the regret of her question.

Suddenly a scream pierces through the hallway of the hospital. Jongin and Gaeul both look ahead, towards the direction of the scream. In the center, Sohee and a little boy face each other.

“You crazy little brat!!!” Sohee screams at the little boy again.

“Hyunwoo?” Gaeul mutters out loud as she realizes the little boy with Sohee is Hyunwoo. Gaeul walks towards Sohee and Hyunwoo. Her footsteps quicken as Sohee keeps shouting at Hyunwoo. But just as she is about to reach Hyunwoo, Jongin grabs on Gaeul’s arm and halts her backward.

Gaeul eyes widen at Jongin with confusion. “I need to help Hyunwoo!”

Jongin bites his bottom lip anxiously. He shakes his head firmly.

I can’t let you appear in front of Sohee…for her sake…and your sake…

“Why not?!” Gaeul asks confused and upset. But Jongin’s response is a solid shake of his head again.

From the center Sohee screams at Hyunwoo again. “You disabled brat!!!”

Gaeul’s teeth clench with anger as she watches little Hyunwoo getting screamed at. However, she isn’t able to reach him because stupid Jongin is not letting her go!

Hyunwoo raises his head high. “You fat, ugly, wicked witch! You’re uglier, fatter, and meaner than the Ursula!! Watch where you’re walking Ursula! Go scream at people your size. If I were your parents I’d be ashamed! Hear me? A-sh-amed!” Hyunwoo shouts back with all the feistiness in his little body.

Sohee looks taken aback at the little boy’s attitude. “Excuse me?” She asks in her surprised tone. Was she really being sassed-down by a boy half her size?

“That’s right Ursula! You better ask for excuse. Your attitude towards me is unacceptable. Go back to your cave, you barbarian!!” Hyunwoo waves his little finger at Sohee in the highest sass attitude he possesses.

Sohee glances down at the boy with disbelief. “Who the hell is Ursula?!” She demands.

“Oh my god…you’re so stupid. How can you not know Ursula? Go read some books!! Stupidest adult I’ve ever met.” Hyunwoo slaps his forehead with frustration. He couldn’t believe he was talking to someone who didn’t even know Ursula. Doesn’t everyone know that Ursula is the wicked octopus in Little Mermaid? That’s like basic knowledge!

Gaeul smiles as she sees Hyunwoo sassing down Sohee. Gaeul knew Hyunwoo was one little but mighty sass-ball but she didn’t know he was this feisty. Seeing his courage and ability to fight back, Gaeul no longer felt like she needed save Hyunwoo. In fact, someone else needed to save Sohee!