11. Gaeul-ah

Raising Love

Wednesday, 21st June.

           Gaeul looks at her reflection in the mirror. Black dress and a black beret. Her look for the day was complete.

“You look cute. Where are you going?” Solbi asks from her head as she chews on her chewing gum and flips through the magazine.

“Going to see my grandmother then attending a wedding.”

“You have an outing?!” Solbi asks surprised.

Gaeul nods. But Solbi could notice that although Gaeul received an outing, she looked less happy, in fact she seemed more determined than enthusiastic.

Baekhyun knocks on the door before he slides the door and walks into the room. He is still in his white doctor gown.

“Hi girls. How are you feeling today?” Baekhyun asks casually. Today was his wedding, but he seemed almost upset instead of ecstatic. With his shoulders slouched, and baggy dark circles under his eyes, he looked like a criminal admitted to jail.

“I’m feeling great, but you don’t look so great Dr.Byun.” Solbi mentions sharply. She was a honest person with no emotions or words to hide. Sometimes, she was too straightforward and honest about her thoughts that people could get offended.

Baekhyun forces a smile. “Nope, I’m feeling good too.”

“You look like a caged panda.” Solbi answers critically again.

Noticing Baekhyun feeling uncomfortable, Gaeul steps into the conversation. “Dr.Byun, I’m leaving the hospital now. Why don’t we head out together? I’m sure you need to get ready too.”

Baekhyun sighs and nods. It was indeed time for him to leave and get dressed too. But it felt like he had weights pulling his feet down, stopping him from leaving the hospital.

Gaeul and Baekhyun wave goodbye to Solbi and leave the room. The two walk in silence as Baekhyun is caught up in blank space. He didn’t want to think about anything right now.

“Is something wrong?” Gaeul asks carefully. She didn't want to burst any bubbles, but he looked awful for a guy on his wedding way. 

Baekhyun shrugs his shoulders. He didn’t feel like it was something he should share. Besides, he made the choice to get married to Sohee. He didn’t understand why he was dreading this moment so much. How did time fly so fast?

Gaeul accepts his silence and decides not to question further. The two continue to walk down the hallway in silence.

Finally, Baekhyun breaks the silence and asks softly, “Is marrying someone out of pity worth it? If one doesn’t want to marry but he is forced to…is it worth it?” The questions were a thought for himself, but he wanted to share them for a second. He never had the chance to talk about his feelings towards Sohee to anyone, but right now he was desperate to hear someone else.

“No. It’s definitely not worth it.” Gaeul says confidently. “A marriage should be out of love. Even with love, a marriage doesn’t last all the time. So why waste the time with someone you don’t even love.”

Baekhyun listens to Gaeul carefully. He nods as he agrees to everything she says. Why hadn’t he been able to see in her perspective the whole time? It was obvious that this marriage would be a failure…he didn’t even give a when Sohee came crying to him…in fact, he didn’t like girls like Sohee who grew up with everything and got everything without working for anything. But why had he come all the way to this situation and realize in the latest hour? Baekhyun slaps his forehead with frustration. All along he had been praised for his intelligence, but today he knew he was stupider than a chicken.

“Are you ok?” Worried, Gaeul asks as Baekhyun slaps his forehead.

Baekhyun quickly smiles. “Thank you. You saved me.” His eyes and words were filled with gratitude. 

Gaeul cringes as she is lost as to how she saved his life. “That’s great, but I have to get going now. See you later.” She tells him, expecting to see him at his wedding.

Baekhyun waves back. “See you soon!”

As the two wave each other goodbye, Jongin standing behind, looks at them curiously with a deep crease between his forehead. He wanted to know what they were talking about, because from a point in time, everything about Gaeul brought curiousity for him.

“Why is she still talking to Baekhyun?!” Sohee demands angrily as she approaches Jongin who was also looking at them.

Jongin sighs and shrugs. Without realizing Sohee’s existence, he simply shakes his head sadly, like a sad dog wagging its tail. He didn’t like how Baekhyun was so close to Gaeul!

“Wait, Sohee?” He asks surprised as he spins around to see Sohee standing next to him. “What are you still doing here? Your wedding is in two hours.” He exclaims.

“Wanted to go with Baekhyun…but he seemed busy greeting the patients. Didn’t want to disturb him, so I just waited, but now he left…without me.” Sohee explains in a soft voice. She was hurt, again. Baekhyun was always busy and his lack of attention towards her, made her emotionally weak.

“You really want to go into this loveless marriage?” Jongin asks abruptly. Immediately he regrets asking the question.

Sohee’s eyebrows flare upwards. “Loveless?!! Don’t you dare talk about my marriage-“

“I’m sorry. Don’t need to get so angry. It’s your wedding day. Be happy, and smile. Be happier, so that I can walk away from you without any regrets.” Jongin cuts Sohee off before she can go on a full rage.

At his words, Sohee’s anger disappears and she hugs Jongin. “You’ll always love me right?” She asks for reassurance.

Jongin nods. “You’ll always be a part of me. Hope you have a happy marriage. Wish you the best, Son Sohee.” He whispers into her ears softly. These were the words he wanted to leave her with. This was really the end of his stupid one-sided love. Although he felt a little sad, he felt released and free.

“Bye Sohee.”

 

*Wedding Hall*

Jongin walks up the marble stairs towards the wedding hall. He pushes his hand through his hair and bites his bottom lip. This was the end. He kept telling himself it was the end, but it felt like it ended a while ago.

A soft arm slips between his and interlocks firmly. Jongin glances down at the arm then at the owner of the arm.

“Hi.” Gaeul smiles brightly.

In a subtle black dress matched with a black beret, Gaeul looked beautiful. Her make up was glowing naturally, and she looked full of life. This was the type of person Gaeul would be once she is able to leave the hospital.

“Are you surprised by my beauty? You must me! Me in a dress and make up must be very different to the Son Gaeul in the hospital in patient clothing and no make up.” She gleams at him excited to hear feedback.

Jongin suppresses his smile to his best ability. He keeps an emotionless face and looks at her. “You look like a Grim Reaper. Black dress, black hat. Definitely a Grim Reaper.” He tells her indifferently.

Gaeul pouts sulkily. She had spent the whole morning deciding what to wear and she even got Solbi to do her make up! It wasn’t like she was trying to look pretty in front of her dead Grandmother. And all this effort for someone, and that someone doesn’t even seem to appreciate it.

Noticing Gaeul’s offended pout, Jongin feels stupid again. He seemed to be making awfully stupid remarks today. Maybe keeping his mouth shut for the next day or two wouldn’t be a bad idea.

“Look, I’m sorry. You don’t look like a grim reaper. I was just being a douche.” He apologizes sincerely.

Gaeul sighs then smiles. “Yeah, the stupid doctor and the beautiful patient. We make a great duo.” She says cheerfully. She was like a bubble of positivity and it made Jongin smile too.

“What are you doing here?” He asks as the two walk up the stairs, with their arms still interlocked.

“I’m on a mission,” she says, “a mission to make the bride regret while making my doctor look good.”

“And how will you make the bride regret?” Jongin chuckles at Gaeul’s determination.

Gaeul stops walking and looks down at the black dress. “By signaling to her that she lost a great guy to an amazing girl. Just want to make her feel a little sour.”

Jongin had no intention of hurting Sohee, or even inflicting any sort of emotion. But Gaeul’s plan was cute, and he knew Sohee wouldn’t care that Gaeul was next to him. Sohee would be too caught up with Baekhyun that she wouldn’t be able to see anything else.

The two keep walking and finally approach the doors of the wedding. Standing in front of the doors are the parents of the bride and groom. However, the groom who is usually standing in front is missing.

“Gaeul-ah…” surprised, the father of the bride murmurs his thoughts out loud.

Gaeul spins around at the sound of her name. She looks at the man in front of her with confusion. She was surprised and terrified that the bride’s father knew her name.

“Excuse me?” She asks