I'm Not a Kid

What U Need

[top!yixing]

 

Kim Junmyeon is by no means a little kid. He’s actually 21 and that, in Zhang Yixing’s book, is an age where you shouldn’t be leaving soft toys around the ing floor.

“Kim Junmyeon!” Yixing snaps at his roommate of three years. “You better be in school right now or I swear I’ll—“ he stops at the sight of the younger male after he pushes the other’s bedroom door open. Great. He’s asleep. With his favorite soft toy. Looking cute. .

Yixing sighs, takes a deep breath and pinches his nose bridge. It has been three ing years and he is still asking himself why he hasn’t moved out yet. Sure Junmyeon isn’t the worst roommate he has had—actually, he’s the best so far— but damn, this kid, wait no, man needs to learn how to clean after himself!

Giving in for the god-knows-how-many times, Yixing takes a step back and closes the door. He looks at the clock, it’s already 6:30pm, he should start making dinner soon.

“I’ve been awake and working since 8, I should be the one coming home to a good home-cooked meal,” the 28 year old grumbles as he chops up the carrots—Junmyeon’s favorite, “but no, I have to be ing thoughtful and care for the big baby, which I didn’t even sign up for!”

By the time Yixing is done cooking and is already placing the last dish on the dining table, Junmyeon comes stomping out with a pout on his face. Yixing looks at the young man and is confused when he sees Junmyeon frowning.

“What’s wrong?”

Junmyeon huffs and hugs his toy bunny tighter, “I didn’t have enough sleep, I’m still tired.”

Yixing snorts and wipe his hands on the apron before taking the piece of cloth off. “You can go back in and take another nap, no one woke you up, no one’s stopping you.”

The university student pouts even more and grabs his bunny chopsticks. “No, I’m hungry.”

“Such a kid.”

“I’m not a kid!”

 

 

-

 

 

Kim Junmyeon is by no means a little kid. Zhang Yixing begs to differ when he sees Junmyeon crying over an empty ice cream tub. But maybe this time, it’s kind of his fault.

“You didn’t even ask!”

Yixing sighs exasperatedly. “Look! I’m sorry! For the tenth time, I’m sorry!”

“It’s my favorite!” Junmyeon is disappointed and Yixing hates himself for being the reason behind those tears. “It’s expensive and it’s hard to get. The shop is out of town. It’s their best seller, Zhang Yixing! You have no idea how hard I begged the shop owner to sell their last unicorn dust to me!”

Now, Unicorn Dust is a stupid name for an ice cream flavor but Yixing isn’t going to say anything because he doesn’t need Junmyeon to be upset at him even more.

And he used Yixing’s full name. Yixing knows Junmyeon is very upset.

“Look, I’ll drive you there, okay? I’ll drive you there and I’ll beg the owner to make a new tub for you, I’ll pay three times the price,” he swears and Junmyeon sniffles, “I’ll get you your ice cream, I’ll—“

“That’s easy for you to say! Oh Mr. I’m-a-working-adult-with-a-car-I-have-the-money-to-buy-anything-and-drive-wherever-I-want-to-get-anything.”

Junmyeon is being so childish right now Yixing is about to flip something over. One of the reasons why he moved out as soon as he could five years back is the fact that he couldn’t and still can’t stand his little brother. Now, he has to deal with a bigger version of that little devil.

Yixing is breathing hard through his nose and his fists are clenched so hard he feels his palms hurting due to his nails.

“Look—“

“You disappoint me,” Junmyeon mutters and looks away. That’s all it takes for Yixing to throw his own anger out the window and weirdly enough, he’s calm. And somewhat disappointed at himself. Heck, Yixing doesn’t even know why the he’s mad at himself.

“I’m sorry,” Yixing apologizes with a softer, sweeter tone for the first time that evening and Junmyeon looks sideways at the taller male. “Lets go. I’m sure the shop is about to close, lets get there before it does and I swear I’ll replace—no, I’ll get you two or three tubs if I have to. Please forgive me?”

Junmyeon pouts slightly and sighs. “Okay.”

 

When they arrive at the ice cream shop, Yixing is surprised to find Sehun behind the counter. Yixing is very sure Sehun earns more than enough as a director at the company they’re both working at but why is he here looking like he’s a part-timer?

“Oh, Junmyeon!” Sehun beams when he sees the familiar face and is surprised when he sees his coworker behind the university kid, “Yixing?”

Yixing stares at the paper hat on Sehun’s head before looking down to meet his eyes, “uhm, what are you doing here?”

“Helping out!” Sehun smiles. “My family owns this place.”

“Huh,” Yixing chuckles, “that’s unexpected. Anyway, you see I’m here because—“

“Did you run out of Unicorn Dust?” Sehun cuts Yixing off and looks over to the shorter male, who looks down.

Junmyeon nods sadly. “I did. Yixing ate it all.”

Sehun gasps, “no way.”

“He did!”

“Yixing!” Sehun looks at Yixing disapprovingly and Yixing rolls his eyes.

“Okay, look, brat,” Yixing grits, “I know you have like three of those hidden in the back so please, I beg you, for your closest co worker’s good night sleep and mental health, please sell us some Unicorn Dust.”

Sehun gives Yixing a pout and looks at Junmyeon again. “Did he make you sad?”

Junmyeon nods.

“Lucky for you,” Sehun smiles again and reaches forward to give Junmyeon’s head a soft pat, “I actually saved two tubs for you.”

Junmyeon seems so happy out of the sudden it actually confuses Yixing. He looked like an abandoned puppy a second ago! “You’re the best, Sehun!”

Sehun grins, “I know. I’ll be right back.”

Junmyeon watches with a smile as Sehun disappears into the back and only turns to look at Yixing when he can’t see Sehun anymore. “Isn’t he the best?”

Yixing places a hand over his heart. For the second time that day, he experiences this weird feeling. Again, he doesn’t know why the he’s disappointed at himself.

 

An hour later, they’re back at their place and Yixing watches as Junmyeon bounces his way into the kitchen. He’s trying his best to not roll his eyes at Junmyeon’s action. All Sehun did is give Junmyeon two free tubs of ice cream. Big deal.

It doesn’t take Junmyeon long to skip his way back outside and he sits at the dining table with a small bowl of Unicorn Dust in one hand, his plastic bunny spoon in another. Yixing sighs and drags himself to the table as well, taking a seat next to the young man.

Junmyeon is quiet as he takes bites after bites. Occasionally, he will even close his eyes and savor the taste.

“Is it that good?”

Junmyeon opens his eyes and gives his roommate a pointed look. “You finished my last tub, remember?”

“Really? You haven’t let that go?” Yixing rolls his eyes.

“Not gonna,” Junmyeon smacks his lips, leans forward teasingly and then sticks his tongue out at Yixing.

Yixing has had enough and smacks the table, which made Junmyeon jump, dropping his spoon on the floor. Next thing you know Yixing’s lips is on Junmyeon’s and the bowl slips from Junmyeon’s hand as well. The bowl hits the floor, startling Junmyeon and he gasps. Yixing pulls back and he frowns at Junmyeon before looking down at the mess Junmyeon has made.

Yixing is not giving in this time. Junmyeon needs to learn his lesson.

The younger male in a breath when Yixing looks back up at him with a glare.

“I-I’ll clean it up. I’ll do anything, please don’t get mad.”

Yixing smirks.

 

 

-

 

 

“It was such a waste of good ice cream,” Junmyeon huffs as he kicks at the imaginary rocks, his right hand being held by his room— well, boyfriend.

“It’s not a waste when you clearly enjoyed it,” Yixing gives him a teasing smile, “even though it was everywhere but in your mouth and stomach.”

Junmyeon gives Yixing’s arm a hard smack. “You have no shame.”

“You did enjoy it, though, am I wrong?”

“Stop it!” Junmyeon shrieks and looks away. “Where are we going and when are we reaching, anyway? We’ve been walking for a very long time!”

Yixing clicks his tongue and pulls Junmyeon closer, seeing that his big baby is slowly drifting away. Junmyeon has been distracted by his own random skipping, hopping and bouncing too. “Stop, you’re acting like a child.”

“You’re dating one,” Junmyeon sticks out his tongue again.

“The last time you did that, you ended up in my bed,” Yixing warns with his eyebrows raised and that shuts Junmyeon up, his tongue slowly sliding back in.

Not even a minute later, Junmyeon is whining again. “When are we reaching?”

“Keep quite, we’re almost there.”

“You said that so many times!”

“You keep asking every ing minute!”

“What kind of surprise is this!” Junmyeon complains. “Not even a day into our relationship and you’re already making me mad— ah!”

Yixing picks Junmyeon up and throws him over his shoulder. “If you’re going to act like a child, I’m going to treat you like one.”

“Put me down!” Junmyeon huffs and hits Yixing’s back.

“Nope. And stop moving.”

“Put me down or I’ll scream!”

“Do it,” Yixing grins and even though Junmyeon can’t see it, he feels it in his boyfriend’s tone. “Scream all you want but I’m not letting you go.”

The university student stops struggling and just let Yixing be. “Don’t you mean down? You’re not letting me down?” he asks after a few seconds of silence.

“No,” Yixing smiles and pats Junmyeon’s softly, “I’m not letting you go, kiddo.”

 

 

x