Chapter 9

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A/N: Long chapter ahead, but i promise you it's worth it. I wanted to have this posted yesterday in honor of our Jungkook's birthday but my stupid computer shut down for updates and things snowballed from there. Enjoy!

 

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, the leather beneath me crinkling slightly in protest. I was glancing around the large office space that held the entire history of Ilemy University within its four walls; walls that were decorated with accolades given to the university over the years acknowledging its excellence producing fine scholars. The day had finally come; Landon, Ana, and myself had been working relentlessly these past few days pulling strings and pushing points all to lead to this very moment when we would present the idea of our combined course to the dean of our university. The three of us sat patiently awaiting for Lamont to finish reading through our plans, the presentation had drawn to a close long before and all that was left was for him to give his say. Thus far, the man had not given away anything as he flipped through the pages of the syllabus and past the unsigned contracts from BBC and MGM; he offered no hum nor huff as he continued to analyze the words on the page.

 

Ana and I shared a look behind Landon, her face ridden with a mixture of anxiety her leg bouncing in a means to calm her nerves as the waiting period dragged on. I took a deep breath myself before directing my gaze to Landon between us, his eyes never leaving the form of Lamont as if he were looking for some minor indicator from the male that his interest was piqued.

 

With the clearing of his throat, Lamont claimed our undivided attention as his hands folded over the table with eyebrows slightly raised over his glasses, “Your plan has merit, however there will need to be some adjustments made should this course be offered in the university,” he glanced down at the documents we presented earlier and began flipping through the pages again and paused over the fall syllabus, “this course cannot be offered to the students on such short notice which would mean the course would have to be postponed until the spring semester granted should there be enough students enrolled in it to begin with.”

 

Landon hummed in agreement, “we were hoping you would say that however we came prepared in case you wanted it offered to students sooner rather than later.”

 

Lamont nodded his head as he glanced back down at the pages before him and skimmed a few lines down, “only students who have met the prerequisites you listed may participate in the course and have this class satisfy the humanities credit requirements since i feel hesitant to have it set as an elective. This course should be exclusive to those who are truly interested in this field of study and not just taking it because they need to graduate.”

 

       “We are in absolute agreement with you,” Landon replied eagerly, watching as the older man continue to flip through the pages and pausing over the contracts with both production companies.

 

      “If successful, this course could change the tide of all departments involved and make a rather large contribution to the future of Ilemy University. I will sign onto this project with high hopes for our school, however, hope isn’t enough to accomplish what lies ahead so i expect all parties involved to be prepared to put in maximum time and effort, even if it means longer hours.” Lamont leaned back in his chair as he glanced between the three of us, a ball-point pen rested between his index and middle finger as he made his final decision before finally putting the ink on paper to seal the deal.

 

We all let out a sigh of relief as his name was signed on the dotted line, indicating that we have claimed victory. I smiled widely at my companions as we shared a glance between one another, “then it’s settled,” Landon said as he came to stand up from his seat and shake hands with the dean, “you won’t regret this, Larry, I promise this is gonna be one for the books.”

 

Lamont gave a fond smile, “I don’t doubt it.”

 

    “We did it!” Ana exclaimed excitedly as she pumped her fist in the air, a broad and proud smile adorning her face as she turned back to Landon and I while we made our way through the empty halls of the university. I couldn’t help but smile right back at her as a giggled passed my lips.

     “It’s all thanks to you, Ana, it was your idea in the first place and without you i doubt it would have ever happened,” Landon said as he came up to stand beside Ana and patted her shoulder with a fond smile, “now let’s get out of here before students start coming up to us to ask questions, class lets out in ten minutes and i wouldn’t want to be caught in that crossfire.”

 

We quickly headed out to the parking garage and went our separate ways, promising to meet up at a happy hour later on to celebrate our victory.

 

I plopped onto my chaise lounge and kicked up my feet fully intending on enjoying a mid-morning nap since it was only 10:00 a.m. and since i had nothing else to do today, it would be perfect. I snuggled into the cushion and sighed happily as sleep began to consume me, but of course my stomach couldn’t have found a better time to protest. I haste to make it to the meeting on time i had completely bypassed the most important meal of the day which in turn led to the angry growls that were being emitted by my stomach. I stood up and made my way to the kitchen hoping to satisfy my stomach enough to quiet it down but to my dismay, the fridge was in desperate need of restocking. I glanced at the time on top of my stove, deciding that Jin was probably awake already so i grabbed my newest prized possession which came in the form of a waffle maker and headed next door.

 

    “Hey Mily, what brings you here so early in the morning?” Jin asked as he held the door to his home wide open, waiting for me to come inside.

 

I motioned towards the waffle maker in my hand as walked towards their kitchen, “I thought i’d pay you guys back for washing my car the other day by making breakfast for everyone,” I replied.

 

       “There is no need for you to pay us back for anything, your expression when Tae hit on you was more than enough repayment for all of us,” Jin jested as he began to put on his pink apron.

      “Which reminds me to make his waffle extra burnt, thank you, Jin.” I replied as i began to pull out the flap-jack mixture they had in the pantry along with some chocolate chips, I had become quite familiar with their house since I started joining them for movie nights.

 

Jin laughed, “I’m sure Tae will really appreciate that. Is there anything i could help you with?”

 

I shook my head, “just carry on as you normally would,” I replied as focused on mixing the batter with water and adding in the chocolate chips.

 

       “I’ll go waking up the boys, then,” Jin said as he made his way out of the kitchen and towards the stairs.

 

Slowly, I started to pour the batter onto the waffle skillet and closed it, the best thing about making waffles is that they practically make themselves, all you have to do is flip it once and then you are done, it’s the perfect morning treat for the lazy soul.

 

       “G’morning, Mily,” Jimin slurred in his sleepy stupor as he plopped himself down at the breakfast table. His hair was mussed up carelessly as he probably didn’t even bother to brush his hair or put on a shirt for that matter. I smiled at Jimin as I platted the first waffle and presented it to him, “Good morning, sleepy head.”

 

The next to come down the stairs were both J-hope and Namjoon, both looking the exact opposite of Jimin as they were wide-eyed and fully clothed, ready to take on the day, “I knew i smelled something good when i came out of the shower!” J-hope exclaimed as he came up beside me and served himself a warm waffle and began to dig into it with his bare hands.

    

        “You savage,” I gasped as i watched J-hope gawf down the entire waffle in mere bites.

Namjoon laughed as he patted my shoulder, “leave him be, he has an interview today at a dance hall.” I glanced back J-hope to see him chugging down a glass of orange juice before rushing his way passed us, “Thank you for the breakfast, Mily, it was great!”

 

         “You’re welcome!” I called back to him as he made his way through the front door, “good luck!”

 

A muffled “Thank you,” was heard through the door and I chuckled as i served Namjoon his own waffle.

 

         “Good morning, everyone!” Taehyung said as he skipped the last step down the stairs and made his way in the kitchen, pausing momentarily when he saw me, “good morning, Babe,” Taehyung said as he winked at me and i pretended to gag. The boy seemed awfully chipper this morning as he came to reach for a beautifully plated and decorated waffle, I slapped his hand with the spatula i was holding in my hand, “not so fast, Tae, your waffle is this one,” I said as i pointed to a now cold and over-charrd waffle i had made especially for him. Taehyung took the waffle in hesitance at first but then picked up the burnt waffle with his hand and began to tap the edge of it against the plate to test if the waffle was hard, after confirming that the said waffle would indeed probably break his teeth he glanced up at me with a smug smile, “I know you made this with all the burning love you have for me.” He then turned around and walked to the table, taking his place beside Jimin.

 

Next down the stairs was Yoongi, who offered a lethargic smile as he walked towards the counter, “Morning,” he said as he grabbed his breakfast and sat beside Namjoon, the two immersed in a conversation about what they had planned for the day. Jin came back down, taking slow strides down the stairs the way a grand duchess would at a ball, “Jungkook went to take a shower, he’ll be down soon. Thanks again for the breakfast, you saved me from slaving away over a meal today,” Jin said as he grabbed his own plate of waffle goodness. I made a waffle for Jungkook and then plated one for myself to join the boys at the table for breakfast, strategically sitting myself between Jin and Yoongi and as far away from Taehyung as possible, i didn’t trust his overexaggerated good mood so it was a good idea to keep some distance.

 

We enjoyed our breakfast over light conversation when suddenly a loud, “WHAT THE !?” was heard from upstairs followed by a loud slam, “KIM TAEHYUNG!!!”

 

Taehyung quickly jumped out of his seat, “that’s my cue, gotta run!” he saluted as he bolted out the front door. Angry footsteps hurried down the stairs until they came to a halt by the entrance to the kitchen, all eyes widened at the sight before them “where is he? I’m going to kill him!” Jungkook asked, as he glanced around the table paying no mind to the curious gazes that were directed towards his fire engine red hair.

 

    “He just left not too long ago,” Yoongi replied, his eyes twinkling in amusement.

Jungkook huffed in annoyance as he paced the length of the kitchen entrance, “coward,” he muttered along with a slew of other profanities. My eyes never left his figure as he continued to pace, although it was a shock to see Jungkook with a bold hair color like that, it unsurprisingly suited him.

  

    “Nice hair,” Jimin commented over his glass of orange juice and Jungkook so eloquently replied with a curt, “ you.”

 

Jin stood from his seat and walked over to Jungkook, “that is no way to speak in the presence of a lady, Taehyung is gone and there is no use in you being angry and letting your breakfast that poor Mily slaved herself over, go to waste.”

 

Jungkooks wild eyes glanced around the length of the room before landing his gaze landed on mine, “Mily,” he said as he let Jin drag him over to the counter to hand him his plate of breakfast a dust of pink graced his cheeks as realization dawned on him and he quickly looked away. He took the seat opposite of mine, his eyes never meeting mine as he kept his head low.

 

The morning conversation kept on flowing between everyone else at the table figuring it was best to not give any more unwanted attention to the sulking boy sitting before me.

    “Good morning, Jungkook,” I said once i was sure everyone was settled deep into their own conversation.

Jungkook glanced back up at me momentarily before glancing back down at his plate, “hey, Mily,” he replied dejectedly. I was slowly growing irritated looking at the top of his head rather than the smiling face of the boy i have come to admire from a distance, so i gently tapped his leg with my foot under the table as to not garner the attention of the other boys. Jungkook’s head immediately shot up from the table, his large eyes blinking innocently at me while i gave him the warmest smile I could muster. His lips tugged into a slight smile of his own before glancing back down at the table, which in turn, caused me to tap his leg again. When he glanced up the second time, he had a questioning look on his face and i simply shrugged. When Jungkook went to put his head down again i gave a swift kick to leg and he let out a small yelp as he snapped his gaze back to me, I chuckled silently taking a sip of my juice when a soft yet forceful kick was delivered t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter