Chapter 7

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day was dreary at best on Kensington Ave,  the skies had decided to open and unleash it’s fury upon the usually quiet neighborhood; the pitter patter of the rain claiming the streets selfishly as its own as puddles began to form on the ground. In the distance the distinct sound of thunder clapping over some other part of town drawing nearer as time passes. I sighed bringing a warm mug filled with coffee up to my lips while watching the weather forecast for the day. There was a 70 percent chance of rain today as a storm system moves over the city and would probably last throughout the day and later into the evening.

It looks like my “date” with Jungkook this evening would be cancelled. It seems even the heavens look down on my friendship with the youngest of the boys next door. I scowled as I switched over to Netflix and began searching for my go-to rainy day show.

         “Identity theft is not a joke, Jim; millions of families suffer every year!”

I laugh delightedly at the antics on the television, glancing every now and again out the window to see if there is even the slightest of hope for the skies to clear up. However, my hopes had diminished with every glance I took; it seems like I would be spending the night huddled up underneath my favorite baby blue blanket watching re-runs of “The Office” and ordering the two for one special from the Chinese restaurant a few blocks up the road.

By the time it was 6:45, I had successfully watched about 4 seasons of “The Office when there was a brisk knock on my door. Confusion set in as I paused the show and made my way towards the front door, it couldn’t have been the delivery guy; I had just placed my order not even ten minutes ago! I glanced through the peephole and gasped in surprise, as I quickly unlocked the door and let it a soaking Jungkook through the threshold of my home.

      “Jungkook, what brings you here?” I questioned in bewilderment as I studied the boy from head to toe, the poor thing was drenched and probably cold so I made haste and went to the guest bathroom on the first floor to grab him a towel, not even giving him the time of day to answer my question.

      “Here, dry yourself off with this, you must be freezing,” I said as I handed him the towel, what on earth possessed this boy to be out in this kind of weather?

Jungkook smiled sheepishly as he accepted the towel with one hand and wrapped it around himself, keeping his other hand behind his back, “Thanks, Mily.”

       “Why are you soaking wet, Jungkook? Most importantly, why are you here?” I asked, my tone laced with concern towards the young fellow.

Instead of answering my question with words, Jungkook brought around the hand that was behind his back and revealed three DVD’s from his personal collection; “Godzilla” “Iron Man,” and “Me and My Gal”

      “I thought that since we couldn’t go to the Cinema at the Park event because of the rain and all, that maybe we could still watch some movies together, here.” He explained, rubbing the nape of his neck anxiously while he eyed me expectantly as if I were to deny him.

Although I know it’s not humanly possible, I felt my heart melt at incredibly sweet he was and I felt the odd fluttering sensation throughout my body all over again. This boy would be my ultimate undoing.

    “That’s very sweet of you, Jungkook,” I said, hoping to any divine power out there that I wasn’t blushing uncontrollably, “but you’re all wet, and you’ll get sick if you don’t shower and change clothes. Maybe we should reschedule for another time?”

 Jungkook’s eyes were crestfallen at the sound of my suggestion as if the thought of it was disappointing, “but I really wanted to hang out with you today and watch movies,” he whined, a small pout forming on his plump lips.

I sighed inwardly at the sight, “then let’s make a compromise, you go home, shower, change clothes and then come right back to watch movies. This time, you are taking my umbrella with you so that you can stay dry. Do we have a deal?” I questioned.

Jungkook beamed down at me as he eagerly nodded his head in approval of the plan and made his way towards the door.

   “By the way, I ordered some Chinese food not too long ago; it should be getting here shortly so you better hurry back or else the food might get cold if gets here before you do.” I say as I pass him my Umbrella from the coat rack.

    “Will do,” He exclaimed while he shot me a wide, toothy grin, “by the way, your pajamas are really cute,” he stated cheekily.

I gasped in horror as I glanced down at myself, I had totally forgotten that I was still wearing my favorite yellow pajamas with pink baby Tyrannosaurus Rex’s printed all over them. Jungkook chuckled delightedly at my horror, I take it back, this boy is anything but sweet!

   “Oh gosh, thanks for reminding me, I’ll change while you’re gone.” I replied sheepishly.

Jungkook shook his head from side to side, “don’t change, you are in your house and you are comfortable. It actually gives me a good idea; I’ll be back soon okay? Promise you won’t change!” He called as he darted out into the rain with my umbrella shielding him from the downpour.

I shook my head as I watched his figure disappear into his house and close the door and mirrored his actions. Honestly, I didn’t know what to think of the boy; every time we meet I feel like I am discovering a new side of him and it seems like the Jungkook I get today is a playful, mischievous one.

There was a knock on my door ten minutes later and to my ultimate delight, it’s Zhou the delivery guy from the Chinese restaurant with our food, as I was handing him his tip, Jungkook jogged up the steps onto my porch squeezing his way around Zhou to stand at my side which caused old man Zhou to smile.

     “It looks like the two for one special will actually be eaten by two people tonight here,” Zhou nodded approvingly at me and I wished that right at that very moment I would disappear into the depths of the deepest hole.

      “Mr. Zhou, you know I usually take the other plate for lunch the next day right? I swear I’m not that much of a pig!” I whine and the old man chuckles.

     “Enjoy your evening, you two, and thank you for ordering from us!” Zhou shouts as he steadily makes his way to his black Mazda.

I gave the old coot one final wave before closi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter