chapter 10

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun made its blissful ascent through the sky, it’s light slowly trickling through the curtains as a new day began. It had been the first time in a while since I’ve gotten to enjoy a sunrise since my days as a university student; my mornings in recent years had been filled with hurried steps and busied schedules that small ideals like witnessing the ethereal beauty of a sunrise were always taken for granted. It indeed was a new day and in sort, a new beginning of what, I, myself still seem to be unsure of; this was uncharted territory, a first kiss which would then lead to an uncertain flurry of emotions and insecurities.

   It had been seven hours since the kiss occurred and had quickly occupied the majority of my thoughts, leaving sleep behind in trade of what if’s and maybe’s that plagued my mind. Maybe he was just carried away in the moment, what if he kissed me out of sympathy because I’ve never been kissed before? What if it was a mistake? Maybe this was a mistake. What if he regrets it when he wakes up in the morning? Do I regret it? All these questions and more held me hostage as I sat staring out the window at the dawn of a new day.

   I knew for certain, I didn’t regret that kiss; it was everything I hoped for in a first kiss and the sentiments behind it were genuine. It was time for me accept that maybe the warm and fuzzy feelings Jungkook had been responsible for bringing out in me were feelings of truly liking someone. I like Jungkook, it’s a simple exclamation in a complexed situation. Jungkook was young and just starting university, and to make matters even worst he was here in the United States on a study program which meant that after a certain time he would undoubtedly head back to South Korea once his visa expired or finished studying. In other words, whatever was to transpire between myself and Jungkook would inevitably end, it was foreseeable. To add insult to injury, Jungkook and I are in two different places in our lives; I’m a professor and no doubt I would eventually be his professor if he decides to satisfy his literature requirement with one of my courses. It was forbidden, it would damage my reputation as a respected writer and professor and it would ruin any chances he had of making his dreams come true as a film director.

   It was in this moment that I realized the odds would be against us if there ever was to be an “us.”

Taking a sip of coffee from my warm mug, fingers pressed tightly against the smooth porcelain; the warmth from the mug acting as a silent comfort as the realization occurs. Whatever Jungkook and I have cannot be had. I sit silently and stare out the window watching the golden rays of light bring a new awakening to all it touches, wondering if, like the flowers, my life would come to full bloom with just a simple touch of the sun. I close my eyes and bask in the tingling sensation of warmth spreading around my exposed skin, hoping the sun would gift me with a revelation of what to do.

 

My phone vibrates just beside me, a notification that selfishly demanded my attention in a moment of deep thought and inner peace. I sighed as I placed my mug on the coffee table to retrieve the device and slide the lock screen, my breathing hitched at the notification that awaited me.

     “Good morning, Mily.” The message from Jungkook read, “get dressed and meet me outside.”

Another kind of warmth spread through me, awakening all the nerves in my body from their restless slumber and the irony was not lost on me. I wondered if the sun would bring me to full bloom with it’s rays of light but it was Jungkook who seemed to be doing the job with his rays of warmth that jolted me back to life.

 

    I stood up from my place on the couch, glancing at the time displayed on my phone; it was only 7:30 and Jungkook was already wide awake as it seems and probably wanting to discuss the events of our previous encounter. I make my way towards the stairs to change out of my night gown, in exchange for more suitable attire; blue jeans and a white tee-shirt that offered the comfort needed for what awaited me.

 

Opening the front door, I was met by a glorious Louisiana morning which consisted of due glossed over grass and the slightest glimpse of an early morning fog; the golden skies fitting for a scene from a Jane Austen film adaption.

    “Mily!” Jungkook called from across the lawn, an audible gasp left my parted lips as he walked with a confident stride towards me; dressed in thin white tee-shirt that was tucked into a pair black skinny jeans, accentuating all of his finer physical aspects; looking all the more like a modern Mr. Darcy through the romantic mist. He paused as he stood before me keeping a respectable distance that was both admirable torturous as I was granted a closer look at his unfairly enchanting early morning look; his hair was just washed and swept back but a few strands of his fringe were left perfectly placed on his forehead like a happy accident, his lips glossed as though he were blessed by the morning due, and looking ever so tempting to kiss.

     “Hi,” I replied shakily, cursing myself internally for not sounding indifferent or even the slightest bit unaffected by his presence. Jungkook smiled down at me albeit nervously, with his hands in his pockets “would you, um,” Jungkook sunk his teeth into his bottom lip with his brows furrowed, “w-would you like to go have breakfast with me this morning?” At the sight of him like this my heart had nearly melted into a puddle at our feet, how young man could be so undeniably attractive and yet so endearing was beyond my understanding.

      “I would like that,” I blurted out embarrassingly which caused Jungkook to chuckle, the low baritone in it stirred unwarranted feelings in the pit of my stomach, reminiscent of the butterflies from last night.

       “Great!,” he perked up instantly, a smile spreading across his handsome face as he made to put his hand behind by back to lead me towards Namjoon’s car, “have you ever been to Telly’s before? I hear they make brisket on toast with a sunny side egg on top and I have been dying to try it since I heard about it.”

    “You’re in luck, Jeon, Tel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter