Chapter 1

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I finally got home from running errands, it was already 3:30 in the afternoon which meant that I had the rest of the day free to do as I pleased after putting everything in its proper place.  I hurriedly stacked the groceries into the fridge and headed upstairs to change into my pajamas with the baby dinosaur graphics on it and ran back down stairs to watch the new season of Sherlock on Netflix.

II was already deep into the first episode of the new season, the intensity of the scene playing out on screen so incredible and thrilling that I was leaning forward in anticipation for what was to come. The background music grew in volume as Sherlock came closer to whatever danger was ahead, then suddenly all went quiet. Too quiet in the scene, I was so invested into the moment that as soon as there was a knock on my front door, I jumped out of my seat with a rather loud yelp. I glanced back at the door and at the television screen, groaning when I realized that I missed a vital scene thanks to my jumpy reaction. I paused the episode and walked towards the front door, glancing through the peep-hole to see who dared to disturb my peaceful afternoon. I gasped when I saw the raven-haired boy standing at my front door, shifting his weight back and forth between his toes and the ball of his feet. I glanced at the mirror beside the door to see if I looked presentable but groaned as I realized that I was in my pajamas and not wearing a bra.

Having no choice but to answer the door because the frequent knocks, I opened the door slightly; just enough to stick out my head.

     “Can I help you?” I asked trying my best to act naturally despite my awkward position and my nervousness.

The boy glanced at me, his eyes slightly widened in what I assumed to be in realization, “Hi,” he said, “um, I-I’m well, my friends and I just moved in next door,” he pointed towards their house, “we were just playing a game of basketball in the backyard and one of the guys knocked the ball out of bounds and it landed in your backyard. I was wondering if it would be alright if I jumped the fence into your yard to go get the ball back.”

    “Oh,” I responded, “it’s fine but I could just go back there and get it for you and toss it over the fence, I mean, it’s not exactly easy to climb a wooden fence.”

The boy shook his head, “It’s fine, I don’t want to disturb you, and after all it’s our fault that the ball landed in your yard.”

I si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter