Chapter 21: To the Rescue

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Out of all the people who saw Taeyeon leave abruptly, Sunny was the only one who knew how serious the situation was. She didn’t quite know what was happening yet, but all she could hear from Taeyeon’s mind was “I’m going to ing kill him!” So Sunny chased after her best friend in hopes Taeyeon would explain. But Taeyeon turned for no one, not Sunny, not Yuri, not even Tiffany. She continued her way through the halls completely blocking off all other noises that surrounded her. People were in the mood to cheer and celebrate for their high school basketball team, but all Taeyeon could think of was her beloved guardian, Shinju. He had always been there for her through thick and thin and at times he was the only one who was there for her. She couldn’t risk losing the only parent figure she had, she had to be quick. Luckily though, through the storm that was Taeyeon’s mind at the current moment, Sunny had managed to breach through and communicate with her as she ran. “KIM TAEYEON!! STOP RIGHT NOW AND TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON!!!” Sunny screamed through Taeyeon’s mind.

“Shinju, he’s been kidnapped by the cultist leader.” Sunny knew this was an extremely dangerous situation and Taeyeon had a lot to lose, but she had to slow her down. It was essential that they planned a strategy, this was clearly a trap and if they weren’t careful, no would escape with their life.  “Taeyeon I know this is scary, but please hold up. We need a plan, you can’t just…”

“I don’t have time Sunny, who knows what that sick bastard is going to do to him. I have to save him, I have to…”

“Taeyeon!! Remember all the times you’ve rushed through things and survived with an inch of your life? We need a plan or none of us are going to come out alive. So stop right now!” Sunny demanded. All though Taeyeon’s legs were desperate to continue running, she forced herself to a halt to wait for Sunny to catch up to her. “Okay, can we be quick now, please? Let’s discuss on the way there.”

 

When they left the gate they had no form of transport to use, plus the roads were always clustered in New York, they didn’t have many options except hot-wiring a motorcycle. “Sunny are you sure you know what you’re doing? This is taking a really long time.” Taeyeon said anxiously.

“Tae calm down, you and I both know you’re the one he wants, not Shinju and yes, as a matter of fact, I do know… what… I’m… doing.” Once Sunny had finished her sentence, the motorbike engine roared to life and was ready to roll.

“Where are we going Tae?” Sunny asked as she took on the handlebars.

“I have to try and sense his powers, that’s the only location and direction he gave me,” Taeyeon admitted.

“Okay, you try to sense and tell me through your mind. Hop on, I thought you wanted to be quick?” Sunny gestured.

“I do, but I want to get there alive. Do you know how to ride one of these?”

“I can ride a bike? How much different can it be?” Sunny shrugged. Arguing further would only waste valuable time, so Taeyeon decided to just go along with it and hop on to the bike with Sunny.

 

The start of the journey was rather rough as Sunny wasn’t used to the speeds of the motorcycle, but due to her quick learning rate, she was easily able to figure it out and create a smooth ride. They were currently driving through the city, passing as much traffic as they possibly could, even running some red lights here and there. Taeyeon was still worried and every second that ticked passed fed her anxiety. “So Taeyeon, what’s the plan when we find him?” Sunny asked calmly, trying to keep the situation as cool as possible.

“I’m going to get to him and kill him, as simple as that.”

“It’s always as simple as that Tae, but things always go wrong and when you say kill, you do mean defeat and apprehend right?” Sunny asked nervously.

“No Sunny. No one hurts the people I love and gets away without freely, I’m going to make him regret ever crossing me.”

“Taeyeon, you’re supposed to be a hero. You can’t kill anyone, then you become the vigilante that everyone is afraid you’ll be.” Sunny reasoned.

“Why are you taking this so light Sunny? His life is on the line here!” Taeyeon retorted in anger.

“I understand Tae, but listen here, once you’ve killed someone, there’s no going back. You’ll forever be marked and tainted by one decision of your life. You won’t ever be the same after and may even kill again. If you’re prepared to take one life, there’s no reason why you won’t be prepared to take tens or even hundreds if we consider how powerful you are. Don’t become the evil you’ve desperately tried to protect this city from Tae.” Sunny begged. Taeyeon began to burst into tears, she was so desperate to save Shinju’s life she didn’t consider the burden it would bring to her is she actually killed a man. All she wanted was to bring him back safely, the anger wanted her to kill him, but she knew in her heart that the most important thing was escaping with Shinju alive. “Okay Sunny, the plan will be to locate Shinju, as soon as possible. Once we know where he is, we’ll escape and try to keep the conflict minimal. With both of you here, there are two targets I need to worry about and I can’t risk even losing one of you today.” Taeyeon’s mind was slowly calming now and instead of anxiously thinking about Shinju, she began to prepare herself for the battle ahead.

 

They finally reached a mansion on the outskirts of the city. It was heavily guarded, but the gate was completely wide up. Taeyeon could sense immense power radiating from that house and the fact that she could still feel his strength from outside the mansion at a safe distance away, was completely terrifying. None of the Wyvern’s she had faced was even a quarter of this intensity, and it forced Taeyeon’s legs to shake from the nerves. “His power isn’t like any other before him. This is a whole new ball game Sunny and… I… I don’t know if I’m…” Taeyeon stutter.

“Yah! You said yourself, locate Shinju and get out of there. That’s it. Don’t worry about how strong he is cause you won’t be fighting him okay?” Sunny said.

“Yeah okay. From here, I think the right side is the clearest, let's infiltrate from there.” Taeyeon pointed.
“Let’s go.” Sunny agreed.

 

They managed to slip by the security and gates undetected and when they found their way in, it was completely silent. The hallways were empty of people and furnishings, it was completely emptied from obstruction. “This is strange, how would someone rich enough to have a house like this not have any furniture?” Taeyeon asked.

“How are we going to find Shinju now?” Sunny asked.

“I can’t sense the creepy dude’s power here, it’s so strong that when we’re inside the house it just feels like a giant cluster . Is there any chance you could read his mind?” Taeyeon suggested.

“I’ve never read someone’s mind without seeing them before, but I can try.” Sunny focused intensely, trying her very best to locate a sign of Shinju, but there were countless voices around her and they all overlapped creating a horrendous buzzing noise. “There’s too many Tae, I can’t focus.” Sunny confessed.

“Come on Sunny, I believe in you. The sooner we find him the sooner I can go and rescue him, you got this Sunny. I’m certain you can do this.” Taeyeon said grasping her best friend’s hand.

“Okay, I’ll try again.” At Sunny’s second attempt she tried to find Shinju in a different manner. Instead of searching at her maximum radius limit, she focused on sections at a time. First a radius of five meters, then ten, then fifteen etc. She connected with countless men’s minds, but none of them had thought anything about Shinju. However, once she extended her mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter