Chuseok and Ice Cream

I'll be Your Mama, Sweetheart

Lily plopped onto her worn out swiveling chair inside the empty specialist office. Most of her coworkers had gone home, either spending time with family or having some good time with friends, with the start of the rare long weekend due to Chuseok. Lily sighed tiredly as she leaned back on the chair, eyes closed as she enjoyed the solitude of the empty room. She loves being alone but she would be lying if she said she didn't crave for a good company now and then. Sometimes, she couldn't help but wonder whether her aloof attitude towards others is what drive people away from her. Another heavy sigh escaped as her brain found a way of torturing her by recalling  the reason she was still at the hospital at these late hours despite it wasn't her on-call shift.

Two hours ago, the most eligible doctor in the hospital, Lee Taemin had asked her if she would like to join him and his friends for dinner. She almost said yes. But as the simple word "yes" was about to roll out , Lily caught a brief but heated glare from a fellow doctor, Kang Mina. Suddenly,  the flame of her excitement went out as if someone has poured cold icy water all over it. She didn't really get along with Mina. Let just say both of the females don't share common view in many things, be it work-related issue or personal preference. However, Lily disliked the idea of Mina thinking Lily was sabotaging her chance to woo Dr. Lee more than her dislike towards the snobbish doctor. Despite she was very much aware that whatever happened between Taemin and Mina is only in Mina's smitten mind, Lily couldn't handle the feeling of being accused of destroying a relationship. Even if Mina would never probably say it out loud to her face, for her to have such thought already causing Lily's chest to tighten in pain. Lily knew she couldn't handle facing that kind of agony again, neither as the one who causing it nor as the receiving end. 

Besides, she wasn't really into Taemin. Yes, he was very good looking, intelligent and have good manners. A complete, perfect package. But, Lily really saw him as only a friend. Plus, she also knew that the handsome doctor was also crushing on the diva Mina but they both were idiots that were blind to the signs. Still, it would be fun to mess up with Mina a bit. So, with the appearance of her rare pout, Lily cutely refused the offer with a soft grip on Taemin's arm. She could feel someone jealous was burning a hole at the back of her head with her stares. Slightly amused with Lily being out of character, Taemin chuckled before saying goodbye and walked towards Mina, probably extending the same offer towards her. Lily failed to stop her chuckles as she witnessed the shocked and blushing Taemin when Mina immediately grabbed his arm and pulled him closer to her as she reached for his hand and intertwined their fingers. 

Lily slowly opened her eyes. As she stared mindlessly at the wall, a small smile formed on her lips. She might dislike Mina but to see how in love she and Taemin with each other despite both were idiots to not see it, her heart felt happy. She might not appear friendly and warm to many people, but for every couple she meets throughout her life, she always prayed that they will be in love with each other forever. Even if love fall short, she pray for them to end things nicely. She always pray that no one would have to go through the pain of betrayal by their love ones. Even when she knew the world doesn't work like that. Life would never be short of betrayal and pain, Lily mused painfully. 

Wiping stray tears from her dampened cheeks, Lily took a deep breath and collected her thoughts. Grateful that no one was there to witness her emotional breakdown, Lily took her bag, ready to go home and slept her sadness away. But her simple plan was destroyed when a familiar voice called her name right after she walked into the hospital lobby. Wide eyed, Lily almost lost her balance when a little girl she knew very well, suddenly hugging her thighs. 

"Dr. Mama! I miss you so much! Why you never come to see Haru anymore?"

Lily quickly but gently pushed the little girl from her feet as she felt her trembling figure.Holding her an arm away, Lily crouched down so she was staring at Haru's tears-stained face. Frowning, she wiped the tears as she pulled the sobbing girl into her arms. 

"I'm really sorry, sweetheart. I was very busy helping sick kids and babies. I can't let them continue be sick, right?" Lily felt Haru's head on her chest moved as she nodded slowly. Lily pulled herself up and picked Haru up into her arms. "That's my smart girl. Would you forgive me now?" Lily looked into Haru's watery doe-eyes that were now staring at her.

"Only if Mama come and eat ice cream with me and Appa," Haru said as she leaned closer into Lily's embrace.

Lily's heart suddenly beating rapidly at Haru's "Appa". 

Haru looked at her, face frowning in worry. "Mama, why is your heart fast? Mama sick?"

Before Lily could answer the little girl's question, her eyes once again widen as a running figure approached them. And she really have no idea why was her heart beating faster at the sight of his worried face.

"Haru! Don't go running away from Appa like that..." Jungkook frustrated words died at his tongue as his eyes met hers. 

Something sparked inside him as he saw Haru's small figure cuddled into the doctor's embrace. Suddenly, Jungkook felt like it was only him and that woman at that moment as their eyes stared into each other. Haru's joyous "Appa!" snapped both adults from their momentary stupor and instantly a faint shade soft red dusted Jungkook's and Lily's cheeks. 

Now standing in front of his daughter and her "Mama", Jungkook forced himself to look unbothered. It was difficult. He hated himself for thinking the doctor was cute as she struggled to hold little Haru with her petite frame. He also internally groaned in frustration when Haru refused to be held by him and started to cry when he showed her his "angry" eyes. And it certainly didn't help when his heart swelled with a warm feeling when the doctor lovingly Haru's back as she quietly told him she didn't mind holding Haru.

"Appa, Dr. Mama will eat ice cream with us because she is sorry. Let's go eat ice cream, Appa."

"You don't have to go if you don't want to. I can make up some excuses to tell Haru," Jungkook said quietly.

Steeling her heart, Lily smiled. "I don't mind having ice cream with you guys," she suddenly remembered that Jeon Jungkook didn't really fond of her, so she hastily added, "only if it's okay with you, Mr. Jeon."

For the first time, Lily witnessed a small yet genuine smile on Jungkook's face. 

"Then, shall we go, Dr. Mama?" Jungkook said with a wink as he took Lily's bag from her hand since Haru refused to be parted from her comforting embrace.

As her face became redder, Lily kept praying that whatever she was feeling at that moment was just a one-time thing.

Dear heart, don't you dare falling for Haru's Appa. Don't you dare, Lily grimly reminded herself as she trotted slowly behind the said man while holding his daughter as if the girl were her own.

 

What the hell that I've gotten myself into...