Saving Haru

I'll be Your Mama, Sweetheart

Lily sprinted forward when she saw a frantic man carrying a child in his arm, rushed into the emergency department. The nurses at the reception were also on their feet, hastily ushering the man into one of the examination rooms. The little girl was placed on the bed and in a blink of an eye, Lily was standing next to the unconscious girl, already checking her temperature and vital signs while one of the nurses was busy setting up appropriate equipment to monitor the girl's condition. 

"Please save her!" the man begged as he was ushered out of the room to prevent disturbance as Lily and her medical staff tried to save the girl.

"We need to bring down her temperature first. Nara, get the equipment ready," Lily ordered with calm but urgent voice.

"Dr. Han, her guardian said she doesn't have any known medication allergy."

"Okay then. Put her on IV paracetamol 12.5mg/kg until her temperature normalized. Eun, take her blood sample for culture," Lily turned around and looked at another nurse in the room as she continued, "And Yuri, get Dr. Ming."

Everyone was moving quickly and efficiently inside the room, executing each other's task. The sudden beeping from one of the machine sparked panic among the people as Lily quickly assessed the situation.

"Her blood pressure is dropping! She's having a shock!" Lily voice was slightly panicked as she put the girl on respiratory support.

"Start dextrose, 20 ml/kg 0.9% sodium chloride, and calcium chloride 10mg/kg infusion," Lily gave out order as her hands busied injecting medication into the kid's body to stabilize her condition.

She checked the girl's temperature again and was slightly grateful to see that it was dropping down. Once the treatment started, her blood pressure stopped dropping and sounds of relief were heard across the room. 

"Get her ready to be checked for meningitis. Keep monitoring her vitals," Lily said as she wrote something on a file handed to her by one of the nurses.

"Sorry, I've got an emergency at the cardiac ward. How's the kid?" Taemin asked as he stood next to Lily.

"Stable. Most likely meningitis. Got to meet her guardian for permission to carry out LP," Lily looked around before she called one of the residence doctors, "Hyeri, monitor this patient and get all the necessary lab tests carried out as soon as possible."

As the younger doctor scurried off to get her work done, Lily discussed with Taemin about the girl's condition and their other patients as she made way to see the girl's guardian. Taemin waved her off and went the other way when they arrived at the waiting area outside the red zone area.

"Jeon Haru's guardian?" Lily called out and a man with messy hair and worried snapped his head towards her voice.

He rushed to the doctor as panic laced his voice. "Is Haru okay, doctor?"

Lily smiled weakly as she nodded. "Her condition is now stable but we suspect she is having a serious infection. i need your consent to carry out the procedure to confirm it before we can proceed with a more appropriate treatment for your daughter," Lily calmly explained.

The man was relieved to know that Haru was currently fine but his expression hardened when the doctor mistakenly took him as the girl's father and also for seeing how similar Lily's face was to someone he knew.

"Can the procedure wait?" the man asked, sounded unsure.

Lily frowned. "If you don't mind, may I know why? Because the faster the test was done, the better for the patient."

Avoiding Lily's sharp stare, the man sighed, "Because Haru's dad is still on his way."