Chapter 2

Rediscovering Bonds [on hiatus]

A/N: Italics are thoughts. Blue are messages.

-----

"I'll be right there."

Sunggyu ended the call and heavily sighed. He massaged his temples before getting up from his seat which he had only sat for a couple of second. The life of an on-call doctor.

Sunggyu grabbed his lab coat, putting it on as he exited his office. He walked hastily towards the ICU ward. A nurse handed him the data report and followed behind him as he continued to walk towards the ward.

"Update me on the patient's condition," Sunggyu said to the nurse while flipping through the report.

"The patient had suffered pain in the abdomen and was in critical condition. We injected some pain killers and his condition is now stable," the nurse explained.

Sunggyu and the nurse entered the ward. Sunggyu checked on the patient and wrote some things in the patients record. He handed back the record to the nurse when everything was settled. Sunggyu was on the was back to his office when a nurse stopped him.

"Doctor Kim, there is a patient waiting in your office."

Sunggyu nodded and continued walking.

-----

"Gyu hyung!" was the first thing Sunggyu heard when he entered his office.

"Jong-ah, what are you doing here?" 

"I sprained my ankle."

Sunggyu sighed.

"And you came here when you could have gone to a clinic."

"I wanted to visit you anyways."

"You should have just gone to Woohyun. He deals with kids."

"I am not a kid!" Sungjong puffed his cheeks.

Sunggyu rumaged through his drawers. There was a knock on the door and in came Woohyun.

"I heard Jongie was here," Woohyun said.

"Yeah. He sprained his ankle."

"You should have come to my office instead. I'm the one dealing with kids and my office was nearer." Woohyun ruffled Sungjong's hair.

" I am NOT a kid!"

Woohyun took a seat on a chair next to Sungjong. Sunggyu started bandaging Sungjong's ankle.

"So, how's life lately?" Woohyun asked.

"Despite my now sprained ankle, it's so so... My finals are coming up and there has been a lot of customers at the cafe lately." Sungjong answered. He winced when Sunggyu applied a bit of pressure on his ankle. He continued "And Dongwoo hyung is not letting me work at the cafe now." 

"That's not suprising. You know how Dongwoo is. He's like a worried mother when something bad happens," Sunggyu said.

"We should drop by the cafe soon. I haven't seen hyung in ages," Woohyun said. "Hyung, are you free tonight?"

"You do remember I am an on-call doctor. So, I can get a call anytime unlike you just being a child specialist."

"Aww... come on hyung. I bet Dongwoo is dying to see his only hyung. Can't you get someone to cover for you?" Sungjong begged. "Yeol hyung and Hoya hyung wants to see you too."

"Yea hyung. Where has your fun side gone to? You've been taking everything so seriously ever since SungJa--" Woohyun trailed off. He saw Sunggyu's expression darken. There was silence. The atmosphere became heavy.

Sunggyu trailed off to Sungjae, his beloved younger sister. The only family member that he loved dearly besides his mother. Sunggyu assumed his father, the man that he would never love sold off his sister just for the sake of money. Oh, how he felt like punching his father in the face again just thinking about it. He had become a workaholic just so he could get his mind off her but it didn't work. Of course he had tried to find her but he had failed. He could not find any leads to his sister at all.

"Ah, hyung. You're done with my leg. I should get back to the cafe," Sungjong tried to change the topic.

"Oh, ok."

"Let me help you, Jongie~" Woohyun said as he helped Sungjong up from his seat and out the door.

Sunggyu sighed. He sat down behind his desk and buried his head in his hands. After a few moments, he looked up to the calendar on the wall.

How long had it been since she left? Sunggyu thought.

It had been exactly 8 years since Sungjae left. God only knew how she was. Sunggyu then reached out to the picture on his desk. It was the picture of him and her from not long before she left. He had his arm around her shoulders and Sungjae was making peace signs with both hands outstreached.

*Beep*

Sunggyu placed the picture back to its original position and pulled out his mobile.

From: Dongwoo

Hyung~~ Can you come over to the cafe tonight? :3

Sunggyu thought for a moment. Then he started typing.

To: Dongwoo

I'll be there by a quarter past 8.

Sunggyu sent the message.

*Beep*

From: Dongwoo

Yay! Can't wait to see you hyung!

Sunggyu place his mobile back into his pocket. Sunggyu leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes, savouring the little time he had to rest before he had another patient to attend to.

Jae-ah, where are you?

+ + + + +

Hello, readers. :)

I want to thank the people who subscribed and if you are silent reading, I want to thank you for taking some time to read my fic.

I'm not sure when the next chap will be up but subscribe to get an update. :D

Bye-yeom~

 

Replies:

@Chocolato: I don't know~~~ :D Thanks for subscribing btw.