Chapter 1

Rediscovering Bonds [on hiatus]

Sunggyu watched as two men clad in black suits stood at the front door of their family's house. His father was on his knees. Begging.  Sunggyu couldn't hear the conversation between the two parties but he knew. He knew what it was all about. His father's debt. 

You see, his father was a gambler. He was addicted to it like drugs. Every night his father came back, he would smell like beer and cigarettes. It made their lives miserable. Loan sharks came every day, demanding the return of his father's debts.

"Oppa, who's there?"

Suggyu turned to the voice. His younger sibling, Sungjae stood before him.

"The loan sharks again," Sunggyu answered.

Sungjae sighed. Even though she was just 16, 3 years younger than he was, she had a mature mindset. She wasn't your typical teenager who would freak and cower at the sight of the loan sharks. She knew how to handle them. Negotiating was her forte. She could always persuade the loan sharks to extend the period for their father to pay off his debt. Sunggyu felt so useless. He should be the one who handles them and not Sungjae.

Sunggyu watched as his sister walked to the front door. She started talking with the men. His father was looking at Sungjae with hopeful eyes. After a few minutes, the loan sharks came to an agreement and they left. Sungjae bowed and thanked them as they left. Their father was now on his feet embracing Sungjae.

"Thank you, my dearest daughter! I knew you would help me."

"I'm not doing this for you appa. I'm doing this for umma," Sungjae replied coldly and stepped out of the embrace. She walked back to her room.

---

Sunggyu and Sungjae were walking back home from school.

"Hey, oppa."

"Hmm?"

"What would you do if I got married?"

"Why the sudden question?" Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me you are... who's the guy?"

"No no no... there is no guy. I was just wondering. Hehehe."

"Of course I'll be sad! I don't want to lose a sister," Sunggyu ruffled Sungjae hair. "But if you're  happy being with the guy then I'm happy too.... even if the guy was Woohyun," Sunggyu mumbles the last part.

Sungjae blushed at the mention of Woohyun's name. She punched her brother's arm . He knew she had a crush on Woohyun ever since middle school but he would never let Woohyun go near his sister. Sunggyu would never leave Sungjae alone with that greasy tree.

"I-I-I would never marry that guy," Sungjae denied. "But thanks for telling me, oppa."

---

One morning, Sunggyu woke up and walked downstairs. He saw his father in the living room, a cheque in his hand. He was kissing it as if he had won a lottery ticket. Sunggyu sighed. He must have borrowed money again was what Sunggyu thought.

"Sungjae-ah," Sunggyu called his little sister. "Sungjae-ah."

He knocked on his sister's room door and opened it. He looked into the room. The bed was neatly done but her things were mostly gone. Her favourite books were gone, the table was cleaned. Confusion struck Sunggyu. 

A single letter that laid on the table caught Sunggyu's eye. His name neatly written in black ink on the envelope. Suggyu quickly picked it up and read the letter.

Dearest Sunggyu oppa,

By the time you are reading this, I am not living here anymore. I am so sorry that I did not tell you earlier but I am indeed getting married. I will be living with my to be husband. There is no need for you to find me as I will not be in Korea anymore. Do not  ask appa where I am because he does not know either. Do not try to call me. I have left my phone in Korea. I am so sorry to leave you so suddenly, oppa. I am really really sorry but please take care of umma. I love you very much.

Your beloved sister,

Sungjae.

Sunggye crumpled the letter in his hands, anger boiled in him. He ran out of the room. He ran to his father. Sunggyu grabbed his father by the collar.

"When did she leave?!" Sunggyu screamed in his father's face. "I swear if you don't tell me, I will rip this cheque up."

"She left early this morning. Leave her be. She's most probably on the flight overseas already." his father grabbed back the cheque.

Sugggyu loosened his grip. He felt so mad. He felt so betrayed. For the first time in his 19 years, he never felt so angry. and for the first time in his 19 years, he punched his father in the face.

The very same day, Sunggyu packed all his belongings and the remainder of his sister's belongings and he left the house.

+ + + + + + + +

Ta-dah. There goes the first chapter. I have no idea when the next chapter will be up though. :|

Comments are most welcomed.

And thank you for those who read my fic. :)

I will certainly try to update asap depending on how fast my brain can work...

p/s: All my works have not been proof-read, Therefore there will be a lot of grammatical errors/spelling errors.